• cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hypothetical question:

If you had to use only one eye would you prefer iron sights or a red dot sight for personal defense weapons and why?

In other words, are the pros and cons of RDS vs. irons changed enough using one eye vs. two eyes to change your preference?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess it is a individual preference. I do not use red dots on personal defense weapons. I aim with both eyes open. This is the way I was trained over 50 years ago and I'm just to stubborn to change. I may be missing the boat on red dots.... but not the first time.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I don't see how that changes the fundamentals or advantages/disadvantages of either sight system.

I just wouldn't need the eyepatch for bullseye and precision matches.

I guess it is a individual preference. I do not use red dots on personal defense weapons. I aim with both eyes open. This is the way I was trained over 50 years ago and I'm just to stubborn to change. I may be missing the boat on red dots.... but not the first time.
    same but I only got into guns 5 years ago. I like manual transmissions too lol.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't see how that changes the fundamentals or advantages/disadvantages of either sight system.

I just wouldn't need the eyepatch for bullseye and precision matches.

same but I only got into guns 5 years ago. I like manual transmissions too lol.
    Not that I'd wish it upon me, but sometimes I think I would solve problems if I only had one eye. Especially since I'm cross dominant and need reading glasses.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not that I'd wish it upon me, but sometimes I think I would solve problems if I only had one eye. Especially since I'm cross dominant and need reading glasses.
    haha I believe it, it's hard enough not cross dominant. My daughters cross dominant too. left handed so the first time we put a rifle in her hands we put it in her left hand and told her to look through the sights. She immediately put her nose to the stock trying to see through the irons with her right eye. :wallbash:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    haha I believe it, it's hard enough not cross dominant. My daughters cross dominant too. left handed so the first time we put a rifle in her hands we put it in her left hand and told her to look through the sights. She immediately put her nose to the stock trying to see through the irons with her right eye. :wallbash:
    When I was younger I used to lean over the stock and line up my left eye with the scope. I'm right handed. Doh!

Top Bottom