• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    Does anybody use the new BUSHNELL RED DOT , RS250 I think it is called , this is for a chipmunk/squirrel pistol.What are your thoughts on it?

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    4 moa is an inch at 25y, and almost 2 inches at 40y. Hard to get accurate shot placement. Compare that to typical crosshair width of about 1/16" at 25y. Use a lighted crosshair if shooting into deep shade. More expensive than an EL cheapo red dot, but much more versatile.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    4 moa is an inch at 25y, and almost 2 inches at 40y. Hard to get accurate shot placement. Compare that to typical crosshair width of about 1/16" at 25y. Use a lighted crosshair if shooting into deep shade. More expensive than an EL cheapo red dot, but much more versatile.
    We are talking about a pistol dude. People shoot very precisely with 5 and 6 MOA dots on pistols all of the time. That is still much smaller than iron sights.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Does anybody use the new BUSHNELL RED DOT , RS250 I think it is called , this is for a chipmunk/squirrel pistol.What are your thoughts on it?
    I have one around here somewhere. I tried it out, no real problems but not what I wanted for a defensive or competition pistol, I think it would be fine for what you are looking for.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    We are talking about a pistol dude. People shoot very precisely with 5 and 6 MOA dots on pistols all of the time. That is still much smaller than iron sights.
    We are talking about an optic for chipmunk and squirrel size targets. If the dot is larger than the target, the firearm is irrelevant. Unless you're shooting chipmunks at the bird feeder at the end of the patio, every 2x, 4x, or 6x scope will let you see the target (focused at the distance) and presumably the point of aim better than a 4 moa dot.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    We are talking about an optic for chipmunk and squirrel size targets. If the dot is larger than the target, the firearm is irrelevant. Unless you're shooting chipmunks at the bird feeder at the end of the patio, every 2x, 4x, or 6x scope will let you see the target (focused at the distance) and presumably the point of aim better than a 4 moa dot.
    I guess I am thinking of my own situation where I am indeed shooting them no more than 10 yards. I see you're point though I am not putting an actual scope on a handgun unless it is a large big game pistol. To each there own I guess.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Irons and scopes don't cover the aiming point. Reddots do.
    They are different.

I have run 1 to 3 moa dots on rifles and 2 to 3 moa dots on hunting handguns.
    Smaller IMHO is better.
    But on deer, I don't think it matters.

And a reddot is WAY easier to shoot offhand than a pistol scope.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    EER scopes I think are fun off the bench.
    For deer and sub 100 yd varmint, I'll take a reddot, as most of my stuff shot offhand.
    Scopes are bulky and so are full size reddots.
    Just depends on what ya want to do.
    I'm thinking maybe Leupold DPP on my .35 rem Contender.
    Currently wears a lesser brand and it works pretty good.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Dave Spaulding did a review of the Bushnell 250 Red Sot and he really like it.

As far as those that say a 4 is to big and they would never talking to Darryl Bolke about it he stated a 6 MOA Dot is working well for folks that have stigmatism so I wouldn’t say never!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It depends what kind of shooting you're doing, but for offhand, a fine crosshair with 4 moa of human wobble, and a 4 moa dot at 25 yards with the same person behind the gun, don't really differ that much in your ability to hit that chipmunk. The lighting conditions and your eyes' ability to see the target are probably more of an input to your device selection. A rested gun, bad eyes, or low light favor a scope with magnification. Good light, good eyes, offhand hold and/or a tendency to "target panic" with a lot of apparent sight movement probably favor the dot. The sight, human, and the conditions are all components of the system to be considered.

Top Bottom