• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone run a red dot magnifier? I know about them enough to know you'd use one for long distance. And I'm assuming that would be 100+ yards?
    I'm looking into them now, and have a few questions..

Does having one make that much of a difference shooting 100 yards VS shooting without a magnifier?

Is it even worth having one if the longest distance you'd shoot is 100 yards?

I figure you get what you pay for. But would it be "dumb" to put a primary arms magnifier on an AR if you're running an Aimpoint RDS?

Do you have to do anything to the magnifier to make it accurate? Or do you just "slap it on" and go?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Does anyone run a red dot magnifier? I know about them enough to know you'd use one for long distance. And I'm assuming that would be 100+ yards?
    I'm looking into them now, and have a few questions..

Does having one make that much of a difference shooting 100 yards VS shooting without a magnifier?

Is it even worth having one if the longest distance you'd shoot is 100 yards?

I figure you get what you pay for. But would it be "dumb" to put a primary arms magnifier on an AR if you're running an Aimpoint RDS?

Do you have to do anything to the magnifier to make it accurate? Or do you just "slap it on" and go?

I have an Aimpoint 3x mounted on my RRA. For my old eyes, yes, it does help at 100 yds. But, I don't know that it helps that much at that distance. I can still get accurate enough shots at 100, but it might help some in grouping a little tighter.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I personally have not used a x3 mag. I have an Aimpoint CompM2 on my Scar... had plans on adding one, but as was stated by MontereyC6 .... not sure it is gonna help all that much.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have the PA 5x magnifier on my A4. Some reviews I read considered it superior to the EoTech one. I think it's a cool novelty to have, but I find the magnifier distorts the PA M3 reticle. I hope to give it a good go tomorrow. But for the $50 I paid, why not?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I use one. They are a compromise but can provide a little better view of your target at distance or in low light. They make the reticle of the red dot larger which isn't a great thing as accuracy is more difficult to achieve. As long as your expectations are realistic they're worth a look. Don't expect the same results as throwing a magnified optic on rifle and you will probably be pleased. I get better accuracy with mine from 50 yards out.
    P1040358.jpg

Solidgun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Aimpoint 3x magnifiers are on sale so go for those if you have an aimpoint. I think they work with lower mount Eotech as well or you will have to get a riser.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    For what its worth ...

taken from "Combat Tactics magazine" , pg. 83.... "Every morning the class stapled a dollar to their target and from 25 yards had 1 shot to hit Georges nose. The closest hole won all the dollars. Chris said a magnified optic has NEVER won - always an aimpoint or other non-magnified sight."

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    For what its worth ...

taken from "Combat Tactics magazine" , pg. 83.... "Every morning the class stapled a dollar to their target and from 25 yards had 1 shot to hit Georges nose. The closest hole won all the dollars. Chris said a magnified optic has NEVER won - always an aimpoint or other non-magnified sight."

Yeah, I actually used my 3x aimpoint (clone) magnifier to zero my aimpoint RDS, I was able to tweak out just a little bit more but really once you're @ 2 MOA with a RDS you're about at the technical limitations of the technology depending on which unit you have.

Personally I like the magnifier when trying to shoot paper targets past 25 yards because I have bad eyesight and can barely see 1" targets at 50 yards, let alone 100 yards, but I rarely do that anymore with the M&P15-22. If you want precision for 50-200 yards, put a scope on your .22 IMO.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I use the Vortex magnifier on my Sig 556 and for my eyes it is a considerable help. I have a difficult time seeing the target clearly at 100 yards without it.

Top Bottom