• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Thanks for the info and discussion thus far gents. I do have other available choices to hunt with but would like to add this to the possible list depending on my hunting location this year.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I assume that your short barrel will be legal, because it is a "pistol" right? Also, since it is a "pistol", which was previously a legal caliber are you still restricted to 10 rounds on your person? I have an 8.5" 300 blk pistol too, but my deer gun this year is going to be a 16" Noveske 300 blk rifle, which will replace my 458. I am going to look this up, but I feel like I keep reading that you don't gain much from your powder in 300 blk past 9", so I am not sure it matters that much to your velocity. I went 16", for legality obviously, because I want a butt stock on my hunting rifle if I am going to make any shots longer than 100 yards.

I guess I would think that the 300 blk may NOT be considered a "good" deer hunting cartridge, but it sure seems like a lot of hunters are having great success with it. I have a friend who hunts deer and antelope out west with 223, so I don't see how 300 blk is inappropriate as long as you have a realistic view of it's limitations. Unlike with my rifled shotgun or my 458, I feel like shot choice/placement will be more critical. What I really look forward to is carrying a nicely balanced rifle with low recoil, relatively flat trajectory, and a usable range totally up to anything I need. I have a 300 WSM as well, but I was told that I cannot use "high powered rifles" on the property which I hunt.

Anyhow, I have ladders worked up with the 110 Barnes Tac-TX and 110 Hornady Vmax. I chose w296 and Lil gun for powders. I have 1680, vv N110, 5744, but it seemed like you could get higher velocity on the 110s from w296 and Lil Gun. I am saving my 1680 for subsonic, as I only have 3 lbs.

Yes this is in pistol format so barrel length is all legal and configured appropriately. I have not seen any restriction on magazine/round limit with the pistols as those regulations have not changed with the new rifle additions. This would be in a pistol format and fall under pistol requirements. As far as barrel length it looks like the magic length is somewhere in the 9" ball park as to anything longer may give you a bit more velocity but also adds weight to the firearm.
    Yes this is a relative newcomer to the world of deer hunting but seems with some load development people have good success. I do have other options to hunt with but would like to add this to the list of possibilities depending on my hunting location. Thank you for the load data for reference. I look forward to some shooting/testing time soon.

Top Bottom