• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    As the title says I'm looking for recommendations on a youth 410 shotgun. My daughter says she wants to try a shotgun but all i have are 12 gauge and that's way to much for her. A short background. She's 7 years old and has her own 22lr. She shoots at least 2 times per month with it. Been shooting since 5 1/2 and shoots very well. She has also shot one of my ar platforms with a bipod from a bench. She wants to try out a shotgun and i want to make that happen. So Im looking for something fairly light weight that has an adjustable length of pull. I'm fine with single, semi, or pump style actions as she will be only shooting one at a time initially anyways. She's also interested in hunting, so its something that will see multiple uses. I would like to keep the price $300 and under and closer to $200 would be great. I've looked at some reviews on the Rossi 22/410 combo and there seems to be mixed reviews on reliability. Can someone recommend something that might be along the lines of my needs? Also if anyone has one that will be going to the INGO Winimac youth shoot in June and would be willing to let her try it out, after the event is over of course, that'd be great too. Thanks in advance for any input INGO!

jhart

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Bargersville in
    As the title says I'm looking for recommendations on a youth 410 shotgun. My daughter says she wants to try a shotgun but all i have are 12 gauge and that's way to much for her. A short background. She's 7 years old and has her own 22lr. She shoots at least 2 times per month with it. Been shooting since 5 1/2 and shoots very well. She has also shot one of my ar platforms with a bipod from a bench. She wants to try out a shotgun and i want to make that happen. So Im looking for something fairly light weight that has an adjustable length of pull. I'm fine with single, semi, or pump style actions as she will be only shooting one at a time initially anyways. She's also interested in hunting, so its something that will see multiple uses. I would like to keep the price $300 and under and closer to $200 would be great. I've looked at some reviews on the Rossi 22/410 combo and there seems to be mixed reviews on reliability. Can someone recommend something that might be along the lines of my needs? Also if anyone has one that will be going to the INGO Winimac youth shoot in June and would be willing to let her try it out, after the event is over of course, that'd be great too. Thanks in advance for any input INGO!

The rossi is an ok gun good accuracy. And good .410 barrell. I have had some issues with the 22 barrel not firing reliably. Not sure if it was the 10 yr old rounds or the firing mechanism. Sometimes we would have to drop the hammer twice on a round. But we havnt shot it since my son out grew it. I would make you a good deal on it if u wanted to give it a shot. But bear in mind also that it does kick pretty hard for a .410 since it is so small and light.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Jhart, thanks for the offer but your a little far of a drive for us. As far as the recoil, I'd probably have it in the lead sled till she gets a feel for it, so recoil not much of an issue, at least initially.

bthomp9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    tipton
    The rossi is an ok gun good accuracy. And good .410 barrell. I have had some issues with the 22 barrel not firing reliably. Not sure if it was the 10 yr old rounds or the firing mechanism. Sometimes we would have to drop the hammer twice on a round. But we havnt shot it since my son out grew it. I would make you a good deal on it if u wanted to give it a shot. But bear in mind also that it does kick pretty hard for a .410 since it is so small and light.

OK, first let me state my opinion on the .410. In my opinion it is considered a beginers gauge but it is not. Actually it is an expert gauge. The degree of difficulty in hitting clays or birds is much higher than other gauges. Less shot and shorter barrels lend to this. Also the previous poster mentioned recoil is heavy because the gun is light. You dont mention how tall your daughter is but at her age she is probably not too tall. I started my son on shotgun at 7 and wish I had waited until he was 8 or taller. I got a single shot break open and due to the light weight the recoil was high. He did not shoot a shotgun again till he was 9 and that was touch and go. He said I dont like shotguns. I finally convinced him and he liked the 28 gauge we shot. Breaking a clay is a lot of fun and got him more interested in shooting. I got a used zoli over and under 28 gauge at Indiana Gun Club. Size was close to the smaller gun. Cost was 400 or so and I still use the gun myself for quail. It is one of my favorite shotguns. That being said if you get a .410 odds are you will shoot it very few times and sell it. They are cheap so you wont lose much money. Just trying to share some of the mistakes I made. Chose your own course.

Top Bottom