• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

About a year ago I bought a F.A.T. Wrench.

It's starting to go out. Actually, I think it is dead, stuck on some random setting.

I'm not impressed.

I'm looking for a new one with a similar range, say, 10 to 60 in-lbs.

CDI looks good, but pretty expensive. Are they worth it?

Reckon I just got a lemon on the F.A.T. Wrench and should give them a shot at making it right? I can find no warranty information anyplace, but am hoping Midway USA extends their lifetime warranty to it.

Suggestions solicited, please.

Thanks,

Josh

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    no idea what a F.A.T. wrench is (and i'm a mechanic by trade) but if you're not gonna be using it all the time like i do for work, just get a craftsman, lifetime warranty and no question's asked when exchanging. the shop i worked for before bought them for the tire guy's and they got abused constantly (the torque wrenches AND the tire guy's) but every couple months someone just ran down to sears and exchanged them for new ones.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    no idea what a F.A.T. wrench is (and i'm a mechanic by trade) but if you're not gonna be using it all the time like i do for work, just get a craftsman, lifetime warranty and no question's asked when exchanging. the shop i worked for before bought them for the tire guy's and they got abused constantly (the torque wrenches AND the tire guy's) but every couple months someone just ran down to sears and exchanged them for new ones.
    Cabela's: Wheeler™ Torque Fat Wrench
    this is the fat wrench he was talking about

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    craftsman torque wrenches dont have a lifetime warranty. Its one of their growing list of tools that doesn't. Ask me how I know ;)

I've got an Armstrong. Way overkill for the weekend guy, but perfect for me, who loves overkill and never having to buy another torque wrench as long as I live :)

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Sears tools are fine but if you want to make the investment in a quality tool that will last your lifetime and probably your childern's too, talk to your local mechanic and get the number of a Matco or Snap-on salesman. They have all different sizes and torque values. I recommend the click type rather than the scale type. Hard to watch the indicator and item being torqued at the same time.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    You know, it looks like Weaver has one now.

I'm trying to find reviews on them.

Bad experience at Big R and they lost my business for good: I found the receipt, which wa a miracle, and took the thing back since it was still under warranty. They did not honor the warranty because they would have to exchange it (YES! What I want!) but they had stopped carrying the danged thing. So no sending it in, nothing -- just a "sorry".

Kinda' sucks too 'cause everybody is out of Russkie or surplus 7.62x54r and I was wanting to shoot today.

Almost bought some Wolf Gold and Winchester so I could shoot it and have the brass, but I'm nowhere near ready to start casting bullets or reloading for it as I don't have the dies.

Got desperate enough to go to Walmart to look. No x54r, but the guns are back.

Gonna have to seriously order a case or two of surplus.

Is Czech silver-tipped still available anyplace?

Thanks,

Josh

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Lisle makes a nice inch pound wrench that works nicely...however it is ONLY a click style.
    I would heavily recommend, as a mechanic, a dial indicator style wrench because they can serve more than one purpose...like if you ever have to set lash on a ring and pinion set.

Unfortunately these cost a little more than the average hobby person is willing to spend...starting at about $175 for somthing decent.
    Your call....my .02

God bless
    -Shred

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Lisle makes a nice inch pound wrench that works nicely...however it is ONLY a click style.
    I would heavily recommend, as a mechanic, a dial indicator style wrench because they can serve more than one purpose...like if you ever have to set lash on a ring and pinion set.

Unfortunately these cost a little more than the average hobby person is willing to spend...starting at about $175 for somthing decent.
    Your call....my .02

God bless
    -Shred

I've been looking at CDI. My days of setting lash are over, more into diagnostics now when I do anything car related, but over on eBay a CDI caught my eye.

Got outbid.

I found a similar one made by Utica. Don't know them or their quality, but I put a bid in on it, as well.

However, if I don't win it, I'm going to save up and go shopping at Snap-On.

Thanks,

Josh

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I've been looking at CDI. My days of setting lash are over, more into diagnostics now when I do anything car related, but over on eBay a CDI caught my eye.

Got outbid.

I found a similar one made by Utica. Don't know them or their quality, but I put a bid in on it, as well.

However, if I don't win it, I'm going to save up and go shopping at Snap-On.

Thanks,

Josh

Ewgg...Snap on stuff seems nice but Golly Jee Wilikers batman is it ever overpriced.
    Things is...Ive used(never could afford) snap-on as well as KD and other higher end tool...and my favorite ratchet is a $12 parts store "titan" dual sided 1/4 and 3/8 combo ratchet....I swear its got 90 teeth inside it.

I also saw Booey50's post and followed the link...that thingy sure is cool looking...Never seen one before...I want it...If thats what the original poster was talking about...Sorry my post didnt help you at all than...lol.

God bless
    -Shred

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    The snap-on and proto 1/4 drive inch pound torque wrenches are only around $120-140. Some of the best money I spent was getting one.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Eh, thread drift is good.

When I was a mechanic/tech, there were two options: Snap-On and Craftsman. Mac was around, but not popular in these parts.

Now Craftsman is going downhill. It's sad. In my eyes, that leaves one choice for tools, if I want them to last.

Look up their micro-click ratchet. It's nothing short of amazing.

Josh

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    The snap-on and proto 1/4 drive inch pound torque wrenches are only around $120-140. Some of the best money I spent was getting one.

Uh...The guy in the snap on truck that stops by once a week wants $279 or somthing for a dial indicator style jobby...nice...but no thanks.

Those CDI's look reasonable though...$179...1/4" drive 0-60in.lbs.

I love tools and guns...too bad I cant afford either of them.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom