Recent events reminding me I need to prep - Some tips?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The idea of situations such as an EMP seem far too real... and something that could happen soon.

I've never had the funds to "prep" in a serious sense. I've got guns, I've got a bit of ammo, but that's about it.

I want to start making BOBs, and I'm sure I can do that on my own without too much issue or investment (would be nice to find a "starter BOB" somewhere on INGO that you can just purchase complete)...

I still need to make a few more gun purchases to feel like I have "enough" in a sense, such as a .22lr, shotgun, etc.

For someone without the funds to do it properly, what do you suggest? If an EMP were to occur, what is the general plan? What are the first things that someone should do? Do you leave the house, or stay and defend it? Roads would be impossible to drive on, if a car even worked. Nearest family is miles away. How would you keep up with events, without electronics?

Yeah, this is essentially a "newbie prep" thread, I guess... but I don't want to be unprepared if I can help it. How did you get started?

OneShotFOGE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Container Store > Pack This! Classic Checklist

I found this little checklist one day. Its not perfect, but its a good place to start. Also its a good idea to make up a list of everything you have just so you can stay organized. Before doing this I was lacking in a lot of areas and didnt realize it. At the same time I was doubling up on things I was already covered in. In fact I bought 2 of the same pocket knife. Its a great knife and one of my favorites so I just threw one in my BOB and use the other for EDC. But organization is a must.

Also, it will be much cheaper to make your own bug out bag, and you will find no complete package you buy will fit your needs as well as your custom BOB.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    Personally, if we get hit with an EMP, I feel that 95% of Americans would simply just freak out.

My suggestion is to get something that's EMP proof...like a bicycle. I've considered the same scenario in my mind, and the most likely course of actions would be to 1) stay in place and hope to survive the mass hysteria that will occur when panic sets in when people realize that there isn't going to be any more Walmart or krogers; or 2), you can pack what you can carry and beat feet to a location where survival is more likely.

The one thing I would recommend with guns and ammo, is commonality.....getting that odd caliber weapon might be great for certain things, but if you run out of ammo, all you've got is a big paperweight or club. Try to get calipers that would find in houses, stores, off military/LEO establishments, those kinds of things. Learning to hit your target with as few rounds as possible would definately help too.

Lastly, if you want to succeed in case of something like this......KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT about what you have and your plans to survive. If people think you have something they NEED to survive, they will do whatever it takes to get it, even if it means taking you out of the equation.

Just my :twocents:

HAPPY PREPPING!!!!!!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    With an EMP, power grid outage, energy crisis, or natural disaster in which the power might be out for a few weeks or longer, one of the major necessities of modern life that we'll be missing is refrigeration, and you're going to be hungry!

So, a decent supply of non-perishable food would be an asset. Some people do a canned food storage/rotation, where they eat and continually replace a store of canned food. I know others who have a store of freeze-dried/dehydrated food for long-term storage, like what's available from Wise Food Storage, which has a 25 year shelf life.

Start with the basics: food, water, shelter, defense.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Write down everything you use for a week: food water hygiene supplies. Start buying an extra one and store the extra one separate. Repeat.

Also read One Second After to gain some more insights.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Where are you bugging out to? I could see heading out to a family farm, especially if you have worked out things with the resident family and have already staged supplies there.

If you're just leaving home to go die in the woods, I would stay home unless there was a compelling reason.

I'm not trying to be negative, it's just that sometimes I read threads about "bugging out" and I have visions of 1/2 of greenwood hiking aimlessly south with daypacks full of bottled water and energy bars only to end up as pig feed in the hills of morgan county.

Assuming you have somewhere to go, I would suggest taking up backpacking and camping. That's going to be a great way to learn the skills and gear you will need.
    I would start with a decent pack, a great sleeping bag, a good shelter, a backpacking water filter, a compas, rain gear, backpacking cook gear, firestarting kit, flashlights, knife and a compass. The only way for you to figure out what you need is to get out and do it.
    If tshtf right now I would have about about 27 miles to cover. I would start with the car, then if that didn't work, the bicycle, then my boots. I have a pretty good idea of what gear I would take and what I would leave because I have refined my gear list through constant failure. Cold and wet are great teachers. Their lessons stick.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Five things that are an absolute MUST!

GI or other very heavy duty environment specific Tarp/Poncho (with grommets)
    At least 100' of military grade 550 paracord
    A quality fixed blade knife of at least 4" in blade length
    Magnesium flint & striker or quality firesteel with striker
    GI Canteen with canteen cup

Tarp and paracord mean emergency shelter.
    Firesteel means warmth, boiled (cleansed) water, and a method to cook food
    Canteen provides emergency water when on the move, canteen cup allows you to collect and boil water.
    Knife allows for some level of defense, and provides a means to make tinder, improvised natural shelters, and kill/clean animals/other foods.

these are things that can be carried in a basic shoulder bag, or even wrapped up and bound to your person. its all light and doesn't make a darn sound while on the move.

Top Bottom