• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Our family went out shooting today and for the first time my 9YO wanted to shoot, she shot my wifes Browning URX Stainless. It was too heavy for her though and a bit too long. So I would like some reccomendations on a light shorter .22 pistol that is still a rock solid shooter. Help me get a girl into shooting!

fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    The Beretta Model 21 Bobcat is a good gun for kids. It is light, durable and not that expensive. And it also has a eject for the barrel to have 6 in gun and 1 in barrel so you don't have to even cock the gun back if you don't want to, since a lot of times kids have trouble getting one into the chamber of the gun due to the strength to pull the slide back.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Polymer frame short barrel Ruger MKIII? That's about the lightest thing I can think of or maybe a Buckmark with a TacSol barrel.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I would look into the ruger SR22. They are pretty small and reliable from what I've seen. They also have different grip sizes, so you can switch from large for you to small for her.

You can even look into the Ruger 22/45. It is a bit heavier, but I absolutely love mine. I bet she wouldn't have a problem shooting that either. They come in different barrel lengths, so I would look into a 4 or 4.5" barrel.

You should be able to find both for around $300.

SR22 is about 18-20oz, and the 22/45 is probably closer to 30 oz.

Waddell6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2008
    Indiana
    The ISSC M22 is a good .22 cal pistol. Looks identical to a Glock so she will get used to the feel of a full size semi-auto.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I tend to gravitate towards the Ruger MK series. Simply because her great grandkids will be shooting it, if the gun is well cared for.

My 1978 Ruger MK l came home this weekend. It's STILL a great shooter. My brother put about 15K rounds through it over the years while it was in his possession, and I know I bout over 5K through it when I had it.

The bore still looks pristine. The gun functions flawlessly. and the Rugers aren't too heavy if you go with the basic lineup. and they also have the 22/45 series, which removes some of the weight as well.

No one builds a .22 pistol better than Ruger. No one.

wildcatfan.62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    My sons (11 and 14) shoot and love our Buckmark. It's fairly light, very accurate and digests about anything (Remington bulk ammo does cause some hick-ups -more the ammo than the gun, but's cheap.). My older son has shot a couple of IDPA club matches with it using CCI mini-mags.

I'd have her try one or two in a store and see which fits best. Staying with a good manufacturer -you can't go wrong. Thanks for getting another shooter into the fold.
    Best,
    Wildcatfan.62

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I've got over 5K thru mine,no problems. From what I've read it appears the problems happen when you add weight to the slide. Suppressors and barrel weights :dunno:.

They had several at the local range, but due to the slide issues, the range removed them all from service. I had not heard of it being related to added weight issues.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    My daughter (she's 10) shoots a Mark 3 with a Pac Lite upper. She used to shoot my Mark 2 but thought it was too front heavy. The Pac Lite upper cured that on the Mark 3.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Browning 1911-22. It is an 85% scale 1911. It is a little more pricey than the others mentioned, though.
    browning_1911-22_pistol.jpg

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    We are now the proud owners of a Ruger SR22, I had her come with me and she handled the M&P, P22, a 22/45, and a Buckmark campers as well and she liked the SR so like the proud daddy I am we walked out with the Ruger,

Best Fathers Day present EVER.

Top Bottom