• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Yeah, no reason to carry on campus:

(quoted in full since subscription is required to read)

Herald Times Online: IU students attacked early this morning

Three students were injured after being attacked by a man with an unidentified sharp-edged weapon on the IU campus at 12:30 this morning.

According to Indiana University Police a group of two men and three women were walking along 17th Street and Woodlawn Avenue. The group, all 18 or 19 years old, were walking back to their residence halls.

According to a department news release, the students told police that a male approached them from behind and started waving a sharp-edged weapon at them. One man, 18, received a 4-inch cut to the front of his neck and two of the women received superficial cuts to their faces. They said the suspect left, running in a southeasterly direction.

A cautionary e-mail and cell phone text message was sent to all students, faculty and staff shortly after 5 a.m.

Police say the alert was sent as a precaution. “We wanted to make sure if similar circumstances were to present themselves, we would want everyone to know that this had happened,” said Capt. Jerry Minger.

Minger said they have not yet been able to determine the exact weapon used as witness descriptions of the instrument varied due to poor lighting at the scene.

The man was taken to Bloomington Hospital and was treated and released at 4:15 a.m., police say. The women did not require medical treatment and had left the area before police arrived, but were contacted at their dorms.

The suspect is described as a white male, 5 foot 9 inches to 6 foot 2 inches, with a slim build, wearing a yellow T-shirt, blue jeans and a white hooded sweat shirt. A composite image of the suspect was also released.

If anyone has information about this incident, they are asked to call IUPD at 812-855-4111.

Nope, no reason at all to carry. And as to the quote "Police say the alert was sent as a precaution. 'We wanted to make sure if similar circumstances were to present themselves, we would want everyone to know that this had happened,' said Capt. Jerry Minger.", unless that is a go-ahead to carry a firearm, exactly what preparation was he thinking?

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yup, got that this morning. Scary thing is, I've been walking 17th back to my house almost every night for the last week, except my buddy, whose apartment I was visiting, went out of town yesterday. Very high probability I would have been right around there at about that time. Scary stuff man.

IU student assaulted with sharp-edged weapon: IU News Room: Indiana University

5396.jpg

News Release

Saturday, September 6, 2008
    Last modified: Saturday, September 6, 2008
    IU student assaulted with sharp-edged weapon

1. E-mail this page
    2. Print this page

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    September 6, 2008
    BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University Police responded to an incident of an 18-year-old-male student being cut with a sharp edged weapon as he was walking with a group along 17th Street at Woodlawn Avenue in Bloomington at approximately 12:30 a.m., Saturday (Sept. 6).
    The three females and two males in the group were all IU Bloomington students, 18- and 19-years-old, and were walking back to their residence halls.
    Officers spoke to all members of the group who said that the subject described below approached them from behind and started waving a sharp-edged weapon at them. The primary victim sustained a four-inch cut to the front of his neck and two of females received a superficial cut to their faces and the suspect left, running in a southeasterly direction.
    The male victim was transported to the Bloomington Hospital and was treated and released at approximately 4:15 a.m. The females did not require medical treatment and had left the area before police arrived but were contacted at their dorms.
    SUSPECT:
    White male, 5'9" to 6'2" slim build, wearing a yellow t-shirt, blue jeans and a white hooded sweat shirt.
    Officers from Indiana University and the Indiana State Police searched the area for the suspect with negative results. If anyone believes they may know the identity of the suspect or have information concerning this incident, they are asked to call the IU Police Department at 812-855-4111 and speak to an investigator.
    A cautionary e-mail and text message was sent to all students, faculty and staff of IU Bloomington shortly after 5:00 a.m.
    Web Version

IU student assaulted with sharp-edged weapon: IU News Room: Indiana University

IU News Room
    530 E. Kirkwood Ave., Suite 201
    Bloomington, IN 47408-4003
    Email: iuinfo@indiana.edu
    Web: IU News Room: Indiana University

Copyright 2007 The Trustees of Indiana University Copyright Complaints

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yeah, knowing that it already happened to someone else will be really comforting when he's slashing you with his as yet unidentified sharp weapon.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, knowing that it already happened to someone else will be really comforting when he's slashing you with his as yet unidentified sharp weapon.

Especially since emails were sent a little after 5am, and it happened at 12:30 :n00b:

It's ok though, as long as you're aware bad stuff CAN happen, it won't :n00b:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Or a sock with a fist sized gobstopper. We're not quite as far down the insanity road as the Brits. That might not get you arrested even in Bloomington....

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Yeah, I was SO pleased about getting a warning text message at 5:30am... waking me up from my beauty sleep before the Steel Challenge match!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :wtf:??? They can't describe the sharp object that was used to cut one guy's neck and two women's faces, but they can describe this mope enough to use a program to draw his face? :bs:! I'm thinking if someone's drawing steel on me, I'm gonna know exactly what it looks like. This is probably a withheld detail, probably because the cops are searching to find out who owns the Rambo knife or katana or whatever it is and they don't want the perp to ditch it.

My :twocents:

Blessings,
    B

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The ugliest thing is, if someone chose to protect themselves despite IU's senseless victim-creating rules, the victim would get in more trouble for carrying on campus by the University than the criminal will with the law.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    :wtf:??? They can't describe the sharp object that was used to cut one guy's neck and two women's faces, but they can describe this mope enough to use a program to draw his face? :bs:! I'm thinking if someone's drawing steel on me, I'm gonna know exactly what it looks like. This is probably a withheld detail, probably because the cops are searching to find out who owns the Rambo knife or katana or whatever it is and they don't want the perp to ditch it.

My :twocents:

Blessings,
    B

That actually makes a lot of sense Bill. I first read the email, then was like wow, that's nuts. I then saw the sketch and was like "how the hell'd they see him so clear but not the weapon?"

Or, their vision was distorted by a little bit of the sauce :dunno:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The ugliest thing is, if someone chose to protect themselves despite IU's senseless victim-creating rules, the victim would get in more trouble for carrying on campus by the University than the criminal will with the law.

Absolutely. :chillout:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008

I figured they were part of the drunk parade I see every night I do a second shift. 12:30 is early though, that would make them loud but not part of the 3 am falling down crowd.

As far as getting in trouble, if some guy shoots an attacker he might get in trouble. If some girl drops an attacker, you might end up with a change in policy.

In either case the important part of the story would be a stopped attacker and a safe "victim".

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That actually makes a lot of sense Bill. I first read the email, then was like wow, that's nuts. I then saw the sketch and was like "how the hell'd they see him so clear but not the weapon?"

If their vision was distorted by alcohol, I don't think it will take too much skill on the part of a defense attorney to free their suspect-their vision was obviously distorted enough of him to mistake him fo' mah clahent as well, yuh Honuh. :shady:

Of course, that begs the questions: Had they all been drinking, what is the likelihood that any of them would have been lawfully carrying, and further, what is the likelihood that whoever did would be up on at least preliminary charges, courtesy of the DA down there?

Blessings,
    B

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    If you're going to have a designated driver, then why not have a designated CCW?

:rockwoot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    If you're going to have a designated driver, then why not have a designated CCW?

:rockwoot:
    Because, honestly, most kids think they're invincible, and that it won't happen to them :dunno:

You forget, this is college, and it's the weekend. A lot of people start drinking right after class Friday. People will drink, pass out, then wake up to go out later. Guy or girl shoots an attacker on campus, they will be expelled, not a doubt in my mind. Now, if it's a righteous shoot (they still may be taken into police custody) and they still expel you, you may be able to get yourself a good lawyer and make something happen that way. :rolleyes:

I found it a little odd that the girls who got cut just went back to their dorms though, another hint that they may have been drinking.

:twocents:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    The sad thing is the spin that will probably come from this.

"Thank goodness the attacker wasn't armed with a gun! That rule probably saved their lives! More rules! More Rules! No knives! No gobstoppers!"
    :runaway::crying::runaway:

Bass ackwards:cool:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Sauce... you aren't suggesting student drinking on campus are you ;-)

Absolutely not! Every one of those people tailgating (read: outdoor beerpong, drinking, etc) are drinking water. I mean, would the police really just watch everyone do that? lol >80% of the ppl tailgating are under 21, and IU is a "dry campus". That works so well lol :laugh:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And don't even start in on the "for tobacco use only" hookah's.
    ;)

Top Bottom