Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Wow!

That's not something you see on MSM television these days. This guy will never make it o the network with this kind of reporting:laugh:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have always thought the National Guard is what was meant by the well regulated militia. But the NG is under federal control, and it should be under state control or county control. Yet I'm sure the people who do not wish to, or are too old, or have other demanding jobs, would not want to lose their right to bear arms in place of a militia.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    You would be mistaken then, good sir, at least in the eyes of the founding fathers. A few quotes:

I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials. - Gerorge Mason

A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained in arms, is the best most natural defense of a free country. - James Madison

What, Sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. Whenever governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. - Elbridge Gerry

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I have always thought the National Guard is what was meant by the well regulated militia. But the NG is under federal control, and it should be under state control or county control. Yet I'm sure the people who do not wish to, or are too old, or have other demanding jobs, would not want to lose their right to bear arms in place of a militia.

The National Guard is a recent entity.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Without the 2nd Amendment, the framers of the Constitution could not have possibly expected "The People" to protect the country from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

dsb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Never ceases to amaze me what our country allows and accepts cultural and socially but will try take our heritage and rights away.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    The National Guard is a recent entity.

I know this. There was no national guard when the BOR was made.
    I was saying, in modern times. Would the national guard, if under state or local control, be the well regulated militia that is stated in the 2A?
    Maybe it was just my liberal teachers in CA. But during even high school history, the "well regulated" part of the 2A was the reason we were taught the letter of the law does not explicitly grant every citizen the right to bear arms for personal protection, or hunting, but for a well regulated militia to exist in order to protect the people from the government.
    What exactly does "well regulated" mean? I understand what the spirit of the law is, at least from reading those quotes.
    Any great links would be appreciated, I am a college student, and as you know, we are hit with only liberal views, hardly any conservative teachers.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    A milita is defined by the state of residence. Most states, it is all physically fit males between certain ages.
    Well-regulated means that they were supposed to muster every so often for practice. Once a month, once a week, whatever.

The milita was different than a standing army controlled by the federal government.
    The National Guard can be nationalized in times of need. In other words, the President (or Federal Government) gives the orders.

Top Bottom