• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I was just wondering if anyone knows any good ranges near Bloomington. When I do get a chance to shoot I go to Atterbury, but with the price of gas the way it is, it's VERY difficult to do that. I also would like to be able to practice more with my handgun and since they don't allow so-called "rapid-fire" I really don't get much use out of going there. So does anyone know a range that doesn't have super-restrictive rules around here where I could practice. Really the "rapid-fire" thing is my biggest issue with Atterbury. I just don't see how you can properly practice for say a self-defense type scenario firing only one round a second. I really don't even understand why it's in place.:dunno:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Hoosier National Forest. I'm a Junior at IUB, and that's where I always go. Dblagent goes there too, so do a couple other guys on the site. Search for "HNF" or "Hoosier National Forest" in the forums and you should get a map that was posted recently. When I get back to school (sometime in August probabaly), I'm always looking for new shooting buddies, also always looking for a few good SCCC members too :thumbsup: Whereabouts you live? I'm like 2 blocks directly south of campus.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check it out sometime. Is there any particular area set up to shoot, if not what is the arrangement exactly? As for where I live, I actually don't live in Bloomington, but fairly close in Ellettsville. The drive to HNF certainly is WAY shorter than the drive to Atterbury. Luckily I can do some shooting on my own property and I haven't had issues with my neighbors, but I like to be courteous still and go to the range to shoot larger calibers.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Unless I am unaware, there is no formal set-up in HNF. No berm, etc. Also, the area designated the "Deam Wilderness" specifically prohibits target practice on their rules sheet. Not trying to be a stick in the mud, just letting you know what I found out when I went to search the HNF for a place to shoot. As for the legality of target practice in HNF, I cannot comment. Feel free to PM me if you find a place that is suitable, or if you want to go for a cruise to look for a spot. Im on the southside of B town, and am as anxious as you are to have a spot.

Regards
    Josh

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The Deam Wilderness is on the otherside of the ravine, which is to say the only way you will cross into it would be if you're trying, steep cliffs/hillsides and thick woods would have to be traversed. If neither of you make it out there, hell even if you do, I'd love to meet up sometime more around school time. Just set up against a hill and blast away. Be safe and think, and you will be fine. And yes, they specifically state on their website that it is legal to target shoot, and I have also called the parks service about doing so 1000000% sure it's legal.

Here's a topographic map of the area in question that I cropped:
    67ld92.jpg

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Yeah, I found on there website where it says it is completely legal to target shoot there. Here is an excerpt of the regulations:

Target shooting is permitted in the general forest area (except in the Charles C. Deam Wilderness) as long as other persons in the area are not placed at risk and there is no damage to resources such as using a tree as a target.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Sycamore Valley Gun Club in Freedom is not too far away from you guys in Bloomington. However their dues are a little steep in my opinion. They have a shot gun area, pistol bay and a rifle bay.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Sycamore Valley Gun Club in Freedom is not too far away from you guys in Bloomington. However their dues are a little steep in my opinion. They have a shot gun area, pistol bay and a rifle bay.

Yeah, I checked it out there, but it's seems ridiculous what you have to do to become a member! I mean I enjoy shooting, but I don't want to have to attend a certain number of shooting events/competitions per year and all the other ways you have to dedicate your life to the group just to shoot there. I mainly enjoy shooting at my own pace and simply for enjoyment. That's why I'll probably check out HNF. I never really like the attitude of most range officers, I know they have to do a lot to ensure the range is safe, but some of the rules at ranges just drive me crazy in regards to rapid fire and other things that really don't have any effect on everybody's personal safety. Well I'm probably going to be talking to some of the people at HNF just to be POSITIVE I can shoot there and I won't be getting in trouble later on. I know there website says it's fine, and I also talked to a lady over the phone that say's it was okay, but I want to be certain before I go.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Riley Conservation Club near Terre Haute would welcome you and it is much cheaper than SVGC. It is probably an hour away though. You can shoot 240 yards at RCC.

There are many good people at SVGC but you are going to do things their way or somewhere else.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    RonPaulSupporter and Coach, Just wanted to clarify a few things about the Sycamore valley range. Yes the dues are steep, but when you're building a range from scratch (Thank you, Myles Brand) it's not going to be cheap. Plus actually owning the land a range is on is a big plus as several other IN clubs have found out. RPS not sure what you mean by dedicating your life to the Club, the only requirement is to do 2 workdays a year, which in reality is a couple of hours painting or mowing or acting as a RSO for a public event. The only restrictions are no full auto and no .50 BMGs. hawkhavn

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I have heard great things about a range in Martinsville. Might want to do a search for that on here. I know there have been some posts on it!

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    I have heard great things about a range in Martinsville. Might want to do a search for that on here. I know there have been some posts on it!

Yeah you mean Martinsville Conservation Club? I looked into that, unfortunately they weren't accepting applications when I checked their website. That one seemed to be a good option though. Here's a link to the thread on here about it:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting_sports/4958-martinsville_coservation_club.html

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    The Martinsville club is a great place to shoot. About 15-20 minutes from Bloomington. Hasn't been very busy the couple of times that I've been there. Membership opens the first of every year. After the allocated number of slots are filled, membership is closed until the next year.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    (Thank you, Myles Brand) What a jackass.

Did not mean to be critical of SVGC in anyway. I understand why dues are a little high.

zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    +1 to the Hoosier National Forest and NateIU10

Hoosier National Forest. I'm a Junior at IUB, and that's where I always go. Dblagent goes there too, so do a couple other guys on the site. Search for "HNF" or "Hoosier National Forest" in the forums and you should get a map that was posted recently. When I get back to school (sometime in August probably), I'm always looking for new shooting buddies, also always looking for a few good SCCC members too :thumbsup: Whereabouts you live? I'm like 2 blocks directly south of campus.

Thanks for sharing the INFO on the target sooting in the Hoosier National Forrest. I have been looking for a new place to shoot with my Father and my three sons. We had been using Atterbury until there rates went up 400%. :chillout:

I located a place in the Forest that looked good from the satellite photos and E-Mailed the Staff at the Forest and they responded very promptly.

"Target shooting is allowed in the Hoosier National Forest with exception to
    the Deam Wilderness and Recreation areas. The place you asked about is ok
    for target shooting, however you cannot discharge a firearm within 150
    yards of a trail or where people are likely to be. Also you cannot use
    trees to support targets, you should mount your target to a board and set
    it against a bank or hillside. Feel free to call me if you have any
    questions."

Ron Doyle
    Program Support Clerk
    Hooiser National Forest
    811 Constitution Avenue
    Bedford, IN 47421
    812-277-3591

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Glad I could help some :)

In everything I read on the HNF website, IIRC (which I may not), the distance restriction was on park services established campsites. Again, I may be wrong. Once you make it out there, be sure to let us know how it went.

If you dont mind me asking either, is it off of 446 south like I posted in the other thread, or someplace different?

Nate

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I am a member of Riley and Martinsville Clubs. Perhaps if you want to take a trip we could get a time for me to take you as a guest.

Nate, we really need to get together sometime and I provide the ride and you provide the navigation and show me this place that you have found. I could bring a few toys along for the ride if you wanted to pick from the closet.

Another way to get to know the Riley range would be to come to the August Appleseed Shoot happening there next month. Come and shoot. If transportation is an issue, I will be going both days and would be happy to take up to 3 people in my ride.

techres
    (Btown townfolk)

zookeeperk9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    It is near the Nebo Ridge trail head (Elkinsville). We are traveling down from Franklin, It looked like the closest location that did not have a lot going on around it. We are going to be there tomorrow (Sunday) morning to give it a go. I will post pics when we get back.

RonPaulSupporter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    It is near the Nebo Ridge trail head (Elkinsville). We are traveling down from Franklin, It looked like the closest location that did not have a lot going on around it. We are going to be there tomorrow (Sunday) morning to give it a go. I will post pics when we get back.

I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Top Bottom