• ...and so much more!
  • pokersamurai

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    So, you're set up at the range and folks move in next to you,and their hot brass is ejecting all over your bench and your person.

Ideally, they would have enough sense to realize that hot brass hitting you is, to say the least, unpleasant- but what if they seem oblivious to the problem?

How would you realistically deal with this?

The best solution would be for their to be a law passed that says everyone shooting at a public range should only be allowed to shoot revolvers and bolt action rifles, that way no one is inconvenienced by those inconsiderate auto-loaders.:p

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I have been sprayed with brass at a full range (I had the far right lane!) and I did not really think anything of it. I could load while he was shooting or fire and be rained on; generally I was rained on with .45 acp brass.:rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The best solution would be for their to be a law passed that says everyone shooting at a public range should only be allowed to shoot revolvers and bolt action rifles, that way no one is inconvenienced by those inconsiderate auto-loaders.:p

Don't give them any ideas, next we will be hearing about "2nd Hand Lead Exposure" from flying brass :n00b:

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    You should do a 180 and start firing in the opposite direction. This way your brass will be flying all over them.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I was there today as well, but at about 1:00pm. I had the whole first bunker to myself. They said it was light today and busy as hell yesterday (Sat.).

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've been known to take a serious beat down after complaining about brass hitting me at the range. The last couple times I thought I could easily take my foe but that 80 year old man was pretty tough and the way the 13 year old girl came out swinging, I didn't stand a chance.

bthomas

Marksman
    Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 28, 2012
    Winchester
    You should do a 180 and start firing in the opposite direction. This way your brass will be flying all over them.
    ^ too funny. But if this is a range that you frequent, maybe suggest putting brass nets every couple feet. You could start by making a donation to the fund. I have never had this problem, but I can say I wouldnt care for it.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    I mean if there are plenty of extra booths i'd just move. If it's packed then i'd just have to deal with it. Not much more that you can do.

You can't ask them to stop shooting (unless you're a d*ck), and it'd be crazy to get mad and leave over it (unless you're a d*ck). The brass can't kill you. And you have eye protection on, i'd hope. It's just annoying. Kind of like hot little flies buzzing around you lol.

But I shouldn't talk cuz usually i'm the one throwing the brass on people, to show them i'm superior!

Meister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Greenwood
    I will either move, or hand them the extra brass catcher in my range bag. If it's an AK, I'll wait til they're out. Usually 10-12 seconds per mag. 10 minutes to shoot while they load up.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the mornings! Seriously, it's just one those things that happens. As some people have said, it may be easiest to move.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've started going to atterbury lately and i've been hit by flying brass every time i've been there. I just figure learning to shoot despite distractions is a useful skill.
    I have my son, stand to my left, while I am in a PRONE position, and have him, fire his 10-22, while I attempt to shoot, very good TRAINING, with HOT brass comming down on you ..... JMHO, :twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We usually set up as far away as possible from anyone else for this very reason. We shoot mainly pistols at the range we go to (MCFG) and are always on the rifle end of the range as we like to practice at 25 yds. The pistol end is heavily used.
    To the point, we are popping spent brass and want to avoid bothering folks who are doing serious rifle work on that end of the range. It can be annoying to folks sighting in a scoped bolt gun. If we are hitting others and it is frustrating them we will wait, move or pack up.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Besides that... NObody NEEDS a semi-automatic anyway! Except maybe the military!:D

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Hot brass at the range is just a fact of life. I got used to it in the Army so its nothing than a minor inconvenience when it lands on my arms or shoulder and doesn't fall off. I say just get use to it and don't let it bother you. There's really no way to avoid it other than what's been said already.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I usually feel kinda bad for peppering people with brass at the range and I'm usually considerate of others around me (ie. I don't like beeing an ******* if I don't have to) i usually ask to make sure there ok with it.

Top Bottom