• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Wait, so you go camping and get annoyed by things that live in the woods so you throw a piece of firewood at them...maybe I'm a bit confused here. Maybe next time, plan a much more sterile and safe adventure.

Raccoons are more abundant and brave in campgrounds than they are in typical wooded areas. the population should be controlled. Unfortunately coon pelts aren't worht a whole lot right now so they do not get hunted like they should. Their pelts are good in the fall, but most hunters are busy hunting something else.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Raccoons are more abundant and brave in campgrounds than they are in typical wooded areas. the population should be controlled. Unfortunately coon pelts aren't worht a whole lot right now so they do not get hunted like they should. Their pelts are good in the fall, but most hunters are busy hunting something else.

I agree that the population should be controlled but, if the OP was being serious, throwing chunks of wood isn't doing anything to control the population. I have no issue at all with anyone controlling the population through hunting or trapping (or even reducing the numbers of nuisance animals). Where we camp, we see raccoon and skunks checking things out. I've yet to feel compelled to try to maim an animal for simply being an animal (especially when I visit their habitat).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The populations around camp grounds are growing because there is a food source. Trash and leftovers are a staple for the raccoon population. They would not be breading if the area would not support it. Police up your trash, keep your stores locked down and I mean locked down as they are well trained in cooler manipulation, do not put food in the tent...epic fail.

Try and "Shoo" off a Momma coon and you might get lit up. They are not fearful of us anymore.

I agree that some controls should be in place but once again, what are they to be and done by whom.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    4 rules of Oak Safety

1 - A piece of wood is always loaded.
    2 - Don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3 - Keep your hand off the wood until your eyes are on the target.
    4 - Know your target and what windshields are behind it.

:D

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Subsonics out my model 60 are more quiet then a p22 with a outback ii. Btw they dont go super in a short barrel.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    4 rules of Oak Safety

1 - A piece of wood is always loaded.
    2 - Don't point it at anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3 - Keep your hand off the wood until your eyes are on the target.
    4 - Know your target and what windshields are behind it.

:D

Ok rules 1 and 3...REALLY!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom