• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Just got back from a camping adventure with my wife and 4 kids at Spring Mill State Park, Mitchell, Indiana.

The racoons there are simply out of control! And they are responsible for my van's windshield being broken, interfering with my vacation.

picture.php

The coons woke me up in the process of tearing up our camp looking for food (which was locked away in the van). They were knocking over stuff around camp and causing a general ruckus about two am when I jumped out of my cot intending to settle the score. One ran up a tree next to my van. I grabbed a block of nice oak intended for the campfire and launched it at the marauder. As soon as I released I realized my mistake.

The coon got the last laugh.

But, on a positive note, my wife got some WiFi time at a Salem, IN McDonald's while I conversed with "Brad" from Safelite about all manner of things including his new AR and stuff. And insurance covered 100% so it's all good.

picture.php

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Be glad they weren't skunks. Had a few near misses (fortunately) of that type...

Worst was down in the Smokies at one of the NPS campgrounds. They were huge and fearless.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Wait, so you go camping and get annoyed by things that live in the woods so you throw a piece of firewood at them...maybe I'm a bit confused here. Maybe next time, plan a much more sterile and safe adventure.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Wait, so you go camping and get annoyed by things that live in the woods so you throw a piece of firewood at them...maybe I'm a bit confused here. Maybe next time, plan a much more sterile and safe adventure.

^ this :n00b: I think you're responsible for breaking your own windshield after throwing firewood around. IMO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Raccoon lake is just as bad. We put marshmallows out in the woods just beyond the light from the lanterns. They act like Krack heads over the goodies and fight like mad. It keeps them out of the camp for the most part.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    The drought is adversely affecting the wildlife in my area. With the lack of rain there's not as much for the wildlife to eat. That's probably why the coons were going so crazy trying to get your food. They were probably starving.

I've heard places advertise for people to put out food and water for the birds because things are so bad. I was talking with one of my rescue friends earlier today and she told me of finding skinny dead birds because things are so bad.

So for anyone else going camping you may want to take a peace offering for the wildlife so may be they will leave you alone.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I wonder how much it would cost for the IN DNR to set up some kind of Raccoon relocation program.

ALL the campgrounds are overrun with them. They tear up tents / other property every weekend.

Even if it were a "permanent" relocation - they would hardly even put a dent in the population.

The DNR has been taking deer overpopulation very seriously in the last 10-12 years - why not the raccoon population?

-J-

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I wonder how much it would cost for the IN DNR to set up some kind of Raccoon relocation program.

ALL the campgrounds are overrun with them. They tear up tents / other property every weekend.

Even if it were a "permanent" relocation - they would hardly even put a dent in the population.

The DNR has been taking deer overpopulation very seriously in the last 10-12 years - why not the raccoon population?

-J-

I don't like being woken by a raccoon trying to find food in the middle of the night either, but it is their home, not mine. I think it's something people have to live with if they chose to camp. :dunno:

Funniest story, we were down at Morgan-Monroe camping and had one of the neighbors over for talk and drink after dark. The boys (4 total, all under 10) were running around and playing. They all decided they wanted some marshmallows and before I could jump up to get ours, they were running to the neighbors camp. Cue horror film scream now. Raccoon was at the neighbors camp and ran off with the marshmallows when it saw the boys... boys ran just as fast the opposite direction.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

-J-

I am not going to suggest raccoons are really running the government, but it IS something to consider...

Deer don't carry rabies but raccoons do. Very curious indeed. I heard China or other places pay a lot for pelts. Any truth to this?

I have been rushed by five tiny baby raccoons before. Terrified me. I thought I was going to squish them. Momma was up a fence watching. Probably playing on her iphone

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Funny story, I enjoyed it much.

All these suggestions about launching projectiles especially those prone to ricochet such as ones from slingshot are terrible ideas in a crowded campground. I too hate to be awaken for anything in the middle of the night, but in this case I think shooing them away in the best option.

Last edited:

Myles

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Funny story, I enjoyed it much.

All these suggestions about launching projectiles especially those prone to ricochet such as ones from slingshot are terrible ideas in a crowded campground. I too hate to be awaken for anything in the middle of the night, but in this case I think shooing them away in the best option.
    You mean shooting them away?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom