• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95YJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    East Of Indy
    If it is sitting in Garage, and he or family gives you permission...You could disconnect the battery...and give the keys to his parents. That would keep anyone "unauthorized" from driving it away...but, at the same time, it is probably best to step away from all the "He Said - She Said BS"

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You're doing the right thing by staying out of it. Many people have gotten in a bind trying to get involved in friends' problems like this.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Once upon a time (2013) in a land far far away (Indianapolis) there were three bears. These three bears thought that their sister's ex-boyfriend was a total tool. Their sister called them and whined incessantly about how he had taken the car that was in both of their names and wouldn't bring it back so she could take the kids out to the woods for honey gathering or WTF ever bears do with cars. The three bears decided that she must be telling them this because she wanted them to fix the problem (obviously the bears didn't realize that female bears often talk just to get a sympathetic ear, not because they want you to fix the problem). Those three bears went to get the car. A fight ensued, but they left with the car.

Those three bears all got warrants for carjacking because they did not have permission and were only going on what they THOUGHT the owner wanted. Those three bears now have felony convictions and I believe two of those three bears are still in prison.

And no one lived happily ever after. The end.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Once upon a time (2013) in a land far far away (Indianapolis) there were three bears. These three bears thought that their sister's ex-boyfriend was a total tool. Their sister called them and whined incessantly about how he had taken the car that was in both of their names and wouldn't bring it back so she could take the kids out to the woods for honey gathering or WTF ever bears do with cars. The three bears decided that she must be telling them this because she wanted them to fix the problem (obviously the bears didn't realize that female bears often talk just to get a sympathetic ear, not because they want you to fix the problem). Those three bears went to get the car. A fight ensued, but they left with the car.

Those three bears all got warrants for carjacking because they did not have permission and were only going on what they THOUGHT the owner wanted. Those three bears now have felony convictions and I believe two of those three bears are still in prison.

And no one lived happily ever after. The end.

Now that was a good read! :): Please tell me there's a series of these stories, I'll buy them.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Now that was a good read! :): Please tell me there's a series of these stories, I'll buy them.

Was it? Sounds to me as if the three guys tried to do right by family. That they ended up with felony convictions and time is a shame.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it is sitting in Garage, and he or family gives you permission...You could disconnect the battery...and give the keys to his parents. That would keep anyone "unauthorized" from driving it away...but, at the same time, it is probably best to step away from all the "He Said - She Said BS"

I think this is along the right track...

IF you can have any communication at all with your friend - try to do so (hopefully with a witness...) and see if you can determine HIS wishes for the disposition of the vehicle. OR if perhaps his parents are "in charge" of all his stuff until this situation is resolved - then contact THEM and ask what you can do to help keep ex-GF from accessing the vehicle.

Other than that - stay out of it.

There's an appropriate old saying: Lay with dogs, rise with fleas. Be careful who you associate with...

-J-

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That they ended up with felony convictions and time is a shame.

What's a shame is that instead of asking "do you want us to get the car" or even better "do you want us to go with you while you get the car" they took it upon themselves to ASSUME that's what she wanted, assaulted two bears (one of which was a rather elderly bear who intervened), and stole a car that no one had given them permission to take. Sister bear also didn't think it was a shame, because she had the car detailed and returned it to the "ex"-boyfriend and assisted in the prosecution of the three bears, and was incredibly ticked off that they had been so mean to the father of her cubs.

The moral is pretty clear. You're a fool to inject yourself into domestic squabbles such as this, because they'll be back in love before you get back home. You're a double fool to just assume you know what someone else wants.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I agree that they made a foolish decision. Obviously one should not seek to emulate their example. That doesn't make it a heartwarming tale, and taking pleasure in the misfortune of men who act with good intentions, no matter how ill-advised said actions might be, strikes me as odd in the most generous interpretation.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I agree that they made a foolish decision. Obviously one should not seek to emulate their example. That doesn't make it a heartwarming tale, and taking pleasure in the misfortune of men who act with good intentions, no matter how ill-advised said actions might be, strikes me as odd in the most generous interpretation.

So if a guy feels really badly for the homeless woman with her small child you would be okay with him robbing the liquor store to provide her some much needed financial assistance? He had good intentions of providing for someone who needed help. THAT strikes me as odd in the most generous interpretation.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Which is why I ended it "and no one lived happily ever after." It is not meant to be a heartwarming story, it is a cautionary tale of how things turned out in a very similar circumstance as the OP is asking about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Quote time!

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    How about you bail your friend out of jail then offer to drive him to the location of the car. Give him your spare key and let him drive it away.

jrogers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    So if a guy feels really badly for the homeless woman with her small child you would be okay with him robbing the liquor store to provide her some much needed financial assistance? He had good intentions of providing for someone who needed help. THAT strikes me as odd in the most generous interpretation.

Of course not. You're not very good at this reductio ad absurdum thing.

Which is why I ended it "and no one lived happily ever after." It is not meant to be a heartwarming story, it is a cautionary tale of how things turned out in a very similar circumstance as the OP is asking about.

Understood. I was criticizing danielocean03's comment, which is why I quoted it in my first post.

Quote time!

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

That's irrelevant. I was not endorsing the men's actions but questioning a poster's glee at their misfortune. What's the Judeo-Christian consensus on schadenfreude?

Top Bottom