• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    For our particular church(indytechnerd, Indy_Guy_77, and myself), we are acting more in the capacity as an emergency response team. What falls under our particular "group" includes other things such as fire and weather as well(there are other things in our policies and procedures as well). We will not be acting as "security" types, as would a security guard. As far as liability, we understand how the liability will fall under what we are asked to do, that being we are responsible for ourselves.

Is any of this in writing? I mean when you met and discussed it were minutes kept? Is there a master list of people and responsibilities etc.? I'm just thinking legally if something did happen, having it in writing might work against you versus just having verbal understanding and agreement. I have to say though I'm impressed your parish is proactive, I hope they are as proactive in ministry as they are in emergency prep, sounds like a good place to be.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Is any of this in writing? I mean when you met and discussed it were minutes kept? Is there a master list of people and responsibilities etc.? I'm just thinking legally if something did happen, having it in writing might work against you versus just having verbal understanding and agreement. I have to say though I'm impressed your parish is proactive, I hope they are as proactive in ministry as they are in emergency prep, sounds like a good place to be.

Yes, we do have a set of policies and procedures, all of which is in a manual that each of us have. But, like I said above we are each responsible for our own actions. Liability insurance? I don't know of any church that provides liability insurance for any volunteers, including those that teach Sunday school.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    Yes, we do have a set of policies and procedures, all of which is in a manual that each of us have. But, like I said above we are each responsible for our own actions. Liability insurance? I don't know of any church that provides liability insurance for any volunteers, including those that teach Sunday school.

This is just curiosity, but what all does it cover? you mentioned bad weather etc, what about medical emergencies and break ins etc?

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    This is just curiosity, but what all does it cover? you mentioned bad weather etc, what about medical emergencies and break ins etc?

We are a large church, so we always have doctors and nurses on staff. Personally, I'm CPR and AED certified, so if the need would arise(again) I hope to know what to do until we get someone else more qualified to take over. :D As far as break ins, that's what the alarm system is for. Our role is for during services and events at the church.

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    We are a large church, so we always have doctors and nurses on staff. Personally, I'm CPR and AED certified, so if the need would arise(again) I hope to know what to do until we get someone else more qualified to take over. :D As far as break ins, that's what the alarm system is for. Our role is for during services and events at the church.

Wow doctors and nurses on staff!!! Holy cow that's awesome!

JBusch8899

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    You may consider.......

Indiana law enables the Sheriff of any county of Indiana to appoint a Special Deputy Sheriff. Within Marion County, the Sheriff has numerous appointments to commercial establishments, as Business Special Deputies, with limited police powers; as well as Special Deputies working directly for the Sheriff, that also moonlight in approved locations.

Does Lake County offer such?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You may consider.......

Indiana law enables the Sheriff of any county of Indiana to appoint a Special Deputy Sheriff. Within Marion County, the Sheriff has numerous appointments to commercial establishments, as Business Special Deputies, with limited police powers; as well as Special Deputies working directly for the Sheriff, that also moonlight in approved locations.

Does Lake County offer such?

No idea about now, but they used to. They were handed out to supporters and friends/family/etc. I know one guy that had one there, his uncle was a politician in Hammond.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Well, there is a distinct difference between a political gift, and what I am speaking.

Take a look at this: Special Deputy (non MCSD employees)

Yes I understood what you were talking about, I assume if they hand them out as favors the process is there for issuing them for the other reasons.

The mechanic for the sheriff dept. had one also, but his was different than the gift ones. His actually allowed him to enforce the law to a limited degree by himself, the gift ones could only do law enforcement under the direct order of the sheriff and under supervision of a regular deputy. They basically had no police powers. As I understood it at the time.

fwacfred

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    MYRTLE BEACH
    It's more like in house security. The hospitals in my area have in house security and they are not licensed by PLA. I'm guessing the same would apply to a church. IANAL though.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom