• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    I picked up a used Remington 11-87 super mag the other day.

Seems nice, well shot but looks in good condition.

My question is about mag capacity. Remington's website shows that gun having a mag capacity of 4. Mine will only take 2 shells in the mag.
    I know you're going to assume there is a plug in there. There isn't. I took it all apart, there is no plug. There is a rolled groove in the mag tube that will not allow the little orange thing to move far enough to take more than 2 shells.
    Is this an aftermarket tube? I don't see how to get the tube off the reciever, I don't want to just start beating the crap out of it. The manual I downloaded from Remington doesn't show how to get it any further apart than field stripped.
    Is there a good book that shows details about how to get this gun more apart than that?
    Also, does anyone know where I could find a pistol grip stock for this gun?

Thanks for your time...

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I think I saw a take down manuel for the 1187 published by Radocy @ Gander Mtn. a few weeks back. You could also E-mail Remington. They will probably send you one for nothing.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Sounds like there is a wood plug in it to limit the amount of shells, they will come with them in it from time to time just take off the nut that holds the barrel on and you will see a metal peice that holds the spring in it is held in there with just presure, you can take a screw driver and work it out pull the plug out and repalce the metal thigy,LOL and you should be good to go. Hope this heelps

Glock23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Sounds like there is a wood plug in it to limit the amount of shells, they will come with them in it from time to time just take off the nut that holds the barrel on and you will see a metal peice that holds the spring in it is held in there with just presure, you can take a screw driver and work it out pull the plug out and repalce the metal thigy,LOL and you should be good to go. Hope this heelps

Thanks, but unfortunatly it is not a plug. I've field stripped the gun. I've looked in both ends of the magazine tube and there is no plug. The orange follower is the only thing in there and it is not very long, maybe an inch at most. The orange follower cannot get past the rolled groove in the magazine tube.

I am thinking that the magazine tube is aftermarket for hunting. I guess I need to figure out how to get it off the reciever and get a stock one to replace it with.

Anyone know how to get the mag tube off the receiver?

Glock23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    So today, I took the gun back to Gander Mountain and showed it to the "gunsmith" in the back.

Quote; "What the hell?!?"

He said he'd never seen anyone do that to a mag tube before, ever. He looked at it, pounded on it, looked at it some more, made a few phone calls, talked to the boss, made more phone calls...
    I probably could have gotten my money back at that point even though they have a no returns policy, but I like the gun and I like the price I got it for.
    So, they have sent it off to Remington to get a new mag tube installed on their dime.
    It sucks that I'm gonna have to wait half of forever to get it back, but I'm happy that they seem to be standing behind it. I'll post how it goes...

Top Bottom