• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I've got to STRONGLY disagree with this!! The LAST thing she should do is get out of the car to go inside. Inside the car, she has an advantage: locked doors, windows, and a car that will get her away no matter if the guy is blocking the way or not. Once she gets out of the car, it is a sheer physical one-on-one struggle, and she will likely not win unless she is prepared to be ruthless and violent, but why bring things to that point. STAY IN THE CAR!!!! Lay on the horn. Scream. Flash the lights. Rev the engine. All in the relative safety of that steel cocoon. If he breaks a window to try to get her, throw it in gear and floor it.

NEVER get out of the car in a situation like this!!!!!

We have discussed this as well, she will be better prepared for this if there is ever a next time(hopefully not) she was going back to her car when this guy started towards her so turning back to the store was out of the question. Once back to the car she should have had the mace ready but here setup was wrong as the mace and keys were together, we have fixed that as seen above, and she should have laid in the horn and hauled a$$.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    I've got to STRONGLY disagree with this!! The LAST thing she should do is get out of the car to go inside. Inside the car, she has an advantage: locked doors, windows, and a car that will get her away no matter if the guy is blocking the way or not. Once she gets out of the car, it is a sheer physical one-on-one struggle, and she will likely not win unless she is prepared to be ruthless and violent, but why bring things to that point. STAY IN THE CAR!!!! Lay on the horn. Scream. Flash the lights. Rev the engine. All in the relative safety of that steel cocoon. If he breaks a window to try to get her, throw it in gear and floor it.

I was reading through this thread and wondering if anyone was going to mention the horn. If you are in a public area, simply getting the attention of bystanders will make the guy feel uncomfortable and at least have him back off so you can get away.

4x4

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    AFAIK, no warning needed, make SURE she knows what she is doing ( not sexist, EVERYONE who pulls a gun, SHOULD KNOW )..... it could be taken away, and used on her ..... :twocents:

For the love of God can you people stop with the acronyms? Is it that hard to type it out?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Firstly,
    she was followed to her car and pestered through her window
    She needs to be aware of her surroundings and not let someone get close enough to her to allow that to happen. Did he follow her right out the door talking immediately? Was he outside already, waiting for her to exit?
    Was he within touching distance?

Secondly,
    1911, may be fine for target but not for SD.
    :rolleyes: PuhLEEZE. Don't even start that poo.
    You'd have been better off adding a "for SOME people" to the end of your statement.
    :noway:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    JetGirl;2320931 :rolleyes: PuhLEEZE. Don't even start that poo. You'd have been better off adding a "for SOME people" to the end of your statement. :noway:[/QUOTE said:
    Since it was in the context of talking about his girl friend I didn't need to add "for some peopole." BUT, I'm not messin' with anybody who has a monkey with a gun for an avatar;)

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I agree. Those fancy-schmancy steel and wood guns with the deadly 3.5-lb trigger pull are not safe for self defense. Besides, there's no way you'd remember to do that one thing with your thumb in a stressful situation.

:popcorn:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    OK my girlfriend had an incident where she was followed to her car and pestered through her window by a strange male in front of the Family Video on Madison and Edgewood.

Now in the situation you described, could she have just as easily gone back into the store where there are people had them call 911, and increase the likelyhood of this guy getting removed for loitering or harassment, and decrease the likelyhood of him getting violent with other people around.

NOWHERE did I ever say get out of the car, she knew this man followed her to the car, she was not already in the car before that she would have been aware of him before getting into the car to know she was being followed, if you know you are being followed then go to well lit public place with other people and phones; not to the empty dark parking lot where you are all alone. I never said get out of the car, if you're in the car you just drive off, but if you're in the car you would not have known you were followed.

But if you want to put words in my posts, well you sure as heck aren't the first one on INGO to have attempted to do so.:rolleyes::noway::ingo:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    NOWHERE did I ever say get out of the car, she knew this man followed her to the car, she was not already in the car before that she would have been aware of him before getting into the car to know she was being followed, if you know you are being followed then go to well lit public place with other people and phones; not to the empty dark parking lot where you are all alone. I never said get out of the car, if you're in the car you just drive off, but if you're in the car you would not have known you were followed.

But if you want to put words in my posts, well you sure as heck aren't the first one on INGO to have attempted to do so.:rolleyes::noway::ingo:

Ahh, I guess I was fooled by the part where the OP said she was pestered through her car window, to which you replied that she should go back into the store.

Silly me.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Why not roll up the windows, lock the doors, start it up and drive away.

If the guy was only talking and pissing her off, no need to shoot the guy. IMHO seems like someone needs to fully understand when lethal force is justifiable.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    Why not roll up the windows, lock the doors, start it up and drive aw

If the guy was only talking and pissing her off, no need to shoot the guy. IMHO seems like someone needs to fully understand when lethal force is justifiable.

This wasn't just talking this was more than that. She felt threatened by the questions that were being asked, "where do you live, who do you know, when do you get home" etc. She wouldn't have shot this guy, this question was more of a what if type question.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    This wasn't just talking this was more than that. She felt threatened by the questions that were being asked, "where do you live, who do you know, when do you get home" etc. She wouldn't have shot this guy, this question was more of a what if type question.

Honestly, this is the kind of situation that can quickly turn into the guy either grabbing her or pulling a gun himself. My opinion is that if she has told him several times to leave her alone and he doesn't, time for her to either take whatever action she needs to or, if in the car, drive away quickly without regard for his possibly being run over.

Top Bottom