• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Me and a friend just got in an argument about how to "fan" or "fanning" a revolver. So tried looking up some info on the webs and couldnt find anything that gave me the answer I was looking for.

Our argument was that you could just hold down the trigger and keep slapping the hammer back with your other hand, or if the trigger has to be pulled every time just really quickly.

All I could find was that there is slipping the hammer, and fanning. Apparently fanning is bad for your gun while slipping is not so bad, but they sound like the same thing.

And lastly, (how the conversation started), if the trigger can be held to the rear while just manipulating the hammer, wouldnt that by ATF definition classify as a machinegun?

If anyone could enlighten me on this it would be much appreciated. Thank you.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Not a machine gun, its still one bullet per operation. (nothing recocks the hammer but you)

not sure about being bad for the gun but slipping would be far more controllable than fanning.

Jake1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I owned a ruger new vaquero for a few months....and did some research on s.a.s . Never read anything about fanning being bad for the gun as long as there are rounds in the gun. As for trigger manipulation yes you can hold the trigger to the rear the entire cylinder in a single action revolver that is and no its not a machine gun as stated above you are still manually firing each shot and thats about as far as my truthful knowledge goes and theories have never been a fond skill for me

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm still not clear on what the diffrence is between fanning and slipping though. And what actually makes one more controllable/worse than the other.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    slipping you use your non firing thumb... Its a contolled release when you have some sight alignment.

Fanning you just use the side of your hand and slam the hammer back as quickly as possible until it slipps off. the extra force, and lack of finess really help knock your sights out of alignment before the gun goes bang.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I may not be using the correct terminology either, but i think you get the idea of what i was trying to explain. and the pros and cons to either method.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Im pretty sure Im understanding you. But just to make sure, for both methods, the trigger is held to the rear the whole time? In neither method, does the trigger have to be pulled multiple times?

I appreciate you helping me out. I just wanna make sure I dont give my buddy credit when he might be wrong. :):

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Im pretty sure Im understanding you. But just to make sure, for both methods, the trigger is held to the rear the whole time? In neither method, does the trigger have to be pulled multiple times?

I appreciate you helping me out. I just wanna make sure I dont give my buddy credit when he might be wrong. :):
    Yes, the trigger is held back, through the entire operation ...
    I have seen on TV, where some fast and fancy shooter uses his thumb, and middle finger, and his pinky finger, in one operation, to fire 3 shots, with one pass of his hand ...

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes, it would work on a double action revolver as well. (maybe not all of them, but off the top of my head i cannot think of a model that it would not work on, but i am not a huge revolver guy so i could be mistaken.)

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    I'm pretty sure it will not work on a Smith Wesson revolver. My Vaqueros you can just hold the trigger back and thumb the hammer. On the Smiths you have to release the trigger to reset.

chewmaize

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Fanning only works on SAO pistols. I'm 99% sure, there might be an oddity out there, but I'm not sure what that would be.

Cowboy 44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    My blackhwak and super blackhawk will cycle with out releasing the trigger my redhawk and security 6 will not....so fanning or slipping a da ruger you.have to release the trigger between shots.

Top Bottom