Tarahumara
    220px-Born2run.jpg

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I've recently began running again after a couple years of doing no running at all. I started out doing half miles and increased a little every few days. I've been running two miles every day or every other day for about a week and a half. This morning, I put my shoes on to go for a run, and the outside of my left foot is absolutely killing me. I cannot even put any wait on it. I take my shoes off...no pain. I did buy a new pair of running shoes that seemed to get decent review from most low mileage runners. Nike Dual Fusions, btw, if anyone cares. They feel very comfy and lightweight, so I went with them despite always having a soft spot for ASICS.

What gives?

You got spoiled on Asics. They have a wide toe box and gel packs front and rear (if you get the right ones. That's all I wear.

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Read a lot of good suggestions on here. I would make sure that you get the right shoes as a start. They make a TON of difference. I would advise against going straight to barefoot shoes when you are already nursing an injury.

Get the right shoes - Get them 1/2 to 1 size BIGGER than you normally wear. Your feet swell as you run.

Try getting some KT tape and tape as necessary for additional support. The KT website has many how to videos that will help. I would start with Paroneal Tendon injury and Plantar Fascia Injury.

Don't run hurt, it will only get worse.

I run on average during peak season 40-50 miles/week with long runs up to 20 on weekends. I almost always have some tendon tweak early season when my mileage gets up to 20 or so. Typically you can rest them, ice, tape and they feel better.

Running should be easy, but there is so much that can go wrong because of our tendancies to sit on our asses all day!

Good luck!!

MK

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    I had some of those issues in the beginning too. For me taking at least two days rest in-between rather than just one. But getting some asics kayano19 helped the most. unbelievably comfortable! I had to wait almost two weeks after a pt test tho, very sore...Damage had already been done.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am old and need the best shoes for running on old feet so I have found that Brooks Adrenaline work the best for me. I even have plantar fibromatosis, or nodules on my plantar fascia.

Brooks are more supportive, have full gel soles, and work like a charm.

You may be suffering from some kind of pronation and a supportive shoe would be good for that.

Brooks are about $100

Nike Dual Fusion Con: Not enough support for low or no arches or injury prone runners.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Well, I just got back from MedCheck Castleton (great facility by the way, and great staff). No fractures of any kind in my foot, so I'm pretty pleased to hear that. However, I'm still no closer to figuring out what is going on, but at this point I have to assume it comes down to form or over training. Thanks for all the great advice everyone :yesway:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    If you want ripped abs to impress at the beach, then strength training becomes more important.

Well not quite. Ripped abs are a function of diet, lots of weak people have them, we all do...under a layer of fat. Focused strength training will reverse the visible abs for most people. I've run up to a 5k in my Chucks. I hate running shoes, Chucks are my only shoes I wear outside of my weightlifting shoes.

Last edited:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    As mentioned and not knowing your location I would highly suggest a running store like Runners Forum (several Indy area locations) or Blue Mile and have them check you out. It's free and they generally don't charge any more for shoes than big box stores, however that level of service you receive from a specialized store will be worth more than the $5 you may save going to Dick's. Getting the right shoe is probably the most important thing. Personally I wouldn't wear a pair of Nike anything even just for everyday use, their shoes are garbage, especially when it comes to running. Follow a program like Hal Higdon's 5K so you train right and build up the right way and not overtrain and cause injury. Listen to your body. Also, if you are around Indy, follow the Runner's Forum, either by email news or Facebook etc, they are always hosting clinics or have running nights (Thirsty thursday's) sponsored by different shoe manufacturers where you can go and try shoes if you want and then have some food after (some provide beers too) and it's free, all free!

Top Bottom