• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Thanks guys... About how many rounds would you say you've used of the Hydros?
    Would you happen to be able to check on your box Hydros and see what the Federal item number is for what you're using? Is it P45HS1?

(After spending like $2k I realize that I'm probably being overly cautious but I'd at least like to make sure I'm using something that's working correctly for someone else using a similar Kimber.)

You spent 2k on Tactical Custom?????

Wow, not to be a jerk, but you got hosed.

I'm curious who did that to you, because I'd never want to do business with them.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    i steel feed ramp is great, I still perfur the ramp on the barrel like on most all pistols. all high end 1911 makers all have one thing in common. they want to make money. they have made nice 1911's, and they have made junk. alum feed ramps suck. but keep shooting your kimber, see if you have a problem feeding HP's then go from there.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Just a clarification for those wanting to bash my purchase...

The Kimber I purchased isn't the normal stock model and came in a Pelican style case with the 22-conversion kit and included the holster and real wood grips. It was special ordered.

never owned a 1911 and wanted a good one but didn't want to wait months to get it.

Corporal D

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    SE Side
    Just a clarification for those wanting to bash my purchase...

The Kimber I purchased isn't the normal stock model and came in a Pelican style case with the 22-conversion kit and included the holster and real wood grips. It was special ordered.

never owned a 1911 and wanted a good one but didn't want to wait months to get it.

No one's bashing, just making sure you didn't get ripped off. I've seen guys make up plenty of stuff to sell a gun. I can't find anything like you mention, do you have any more info/pics?

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    I don't really see why the hollow point concern is even an issue. If you run a box of hollows (assuming 25 rounds) through your gun to check the function it will be fine. If you ever needed to use the gun that is another possible 8 or so rounds. So 33 rounds total won't hurt it.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Picked up a couple of boxes of Hydro Shok late last week and range tested Saturday... Everything worked flawlessly. Plus there was no sign of any excessive wear as had been described in some of the forums.

Also had a chance to speak with Kimber while ordering some spare springs. They confirmed Hydro Shok was their 'preferred' choice and said that most of the aluminum guns they've gotten back with hollow point ramp damage were from folks going polish happy or using rounds like golden sabre or others with a very hard, rough finish.

Now to start enjoying my purchase... :)

pdg45acp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Kokomo
    The most I ever paid for a 1911 was $800, for a slightly used, one year old Kimber. It feeds hollowpoints and semi-wadcutters 100%.

The only time I ever ran into hollowpoint feeding problems in a 1911 was in the 1980s with the old Speer flying ashtray.

themadmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    My Kimber hasn't had any ammo related issues with any hollow point I have tried, most of which were Gold Dots.

brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    I own a Kimber CDPII and the only issue I've found is that using other brands of magazines will cause feed issues. I was using Colt magazines and had this happen. Upon further inspection the feed ramp angle on the Kimber mag is a little different than Colts.

Ottboys3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    Indy
    I suggest either the Hornday Critical Duty or Critical Defense. From the research I have done the rounded style nose helps them to feed while still being a true hollow point.

The Critical Duty just has more power so expect more kick but either round will do ya just fine.

I carry this in my 1911 and have put a box through for text purposes with no problems.
    In my 9mm I carry Remmington Golden Saber and they feed fine into there.

Just get a box and test it out if it works great only shoot them if need be otherwise practice with FMJ

I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my 3" aluminum frame I put 20 thru it to make sure no issues! I practice with round nose to minimize abuse on the feed ramp, have it polished and use a quaility lube I love Fireclean!

brg1966

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Muncie
    I carry Hornady Critical Defense in my 3" aluminum frame I put 20 thru it to make sure no issues! I practice with round nose to minimize abuse on the feed ramp, have it polished and use a quaility lube I love Fireclean!

Me too. I use the same ammo and at this point no issues.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom