• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Debating on getting a Springfield Loaded but don't really care for the 2 piece guide rod set up... I was just wondering if I was to change it out with a 1 piece guide rod..would I just need the new guide rod to install it or would I need a new bushing or recoil spring?

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the spring cap? Ive had a few 1911's but don't really know a whole lot about them other then loading, shooting, field stripping ect.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Forgive my ignorance but what is the spring cap? Ive had a few 1911's but don't really know a whole lot about them other then loading, shooting, field stripping ect.
    The spring cap is the piece at the muzzle end of the guide rod, that holds the spring and keeps it from popping out the front of the gun. On a full length guide rod, it has to have a hole in the middle of it so the rod has somewhere to go when the slide goes back.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The circular stipply thing:

DSC_0081.JPG

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've had one and two piece guide rods in my Colts over the years and have since gone back to the original designed short recoil spring guide and spring cap. Works perfectly the way it was designed. :twocents:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I am using the one piece, and the spring retainer is matched to the one piece rod. I like not having to use an allen wrench every time I take the pistol apart. It works fine.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Debating on getting a Springfield Loaded but don't really care for the 2 piece guide rod set up... I was just wondering if I was to change it out with a 1 piece guide rod..would I just need the new guide rod to install it or would I need a new bushing or recoil spring?

i had this exact problem with my Loaded. i ordered a Wilson Combat GI Rod and plug from Midway. Dropped right in and solved the problem.

mdst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    what do you use the allen wrench for , to push in the guide rod bushing ? if so does that work well ? I've been using the base on a mag

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Two piece rods are so long that you cannot turn the bushing without unscrewing part of it. One piece rods are just short enough that you can work the bushing normally to remove the spring cap. The cap is machined a little different inside to allow for this. Like mentioned above, for most uses the stock short guide rod and closed end spring cap works pretty good.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    what do you use the allen wrench for , to push in the guide rod bushing ? if so does that work well ? I've been using the base on a mag

Nope, most two piece guide rods can be taken apart with an allen wrench. You are right to use teh magazine lip to push in the spring retainer. That's how JMB designed it. A cheap plastic bushing wrench is good insurance against slips and scratches, though.

Doug K

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    If you use your 1911 for target a full length guide rod wll give a little more wieght up front. For a carry gun I don't see the need. I always use full length guide rods in my Gold Cups and this one in my Ed Brown ET.
    edbrownexecutivetarget0.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    I used to build 1911 race guns and sold and installed many trick parts (like full length guide rods). You don't really need one and the weight it adds is negligible. All of my 1911s now have GI guide rods installed. Putting a full length guide rod in a 1911 is kind of like putting a huge rear wing on a front wheel drive Civic just cause all the other kids are doing it. :rolleyes: There's better things to spend your money on.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Both of my springfields had full length rods in them when I bought them, and I havent had the urge to rplace them yet. The only time I can see it being an advantage to have a GI style would be when its taken down for cleaning, and I keep allen wrenches in my cleaning kit to take the guide rods apart, and the grips off.
    If the gun came with the GI rod, I doubt I would spend the money to go full length, and vice-versa if it came full length.

mdst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Nope, most two piece guide rods can be taken apart with an allen wrench. You are right to use teh magazine lip to push in the spring retainer. That's how JMB designed it. A cheap plastic bushing wrench is good insurance against slips and scratches, though.

Doug K

Doug ,, I have a Citadel with FL GR never noticed that it came apart, maybe it dosen't ,, being as its not a high end pistol ,and it is a PITA to field strip, I will pick up a bushing wrench though ***
    Thanks for the info , Mike

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thanks for the responses, I think I will go with a Wilson Combat one piece full length guide rod should I stick with that set up opposed to the GI guide rod and plug. Which I am also leaning towards because I have more experience with those from the Colts I have had.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Thanks for the responses, I think I will go with a Wilson Combat one piece full length guide rod should I stick with that set up opposed to the GI guide rod and plug. Which I am also leaning towards because I have more experience with those from the Colts I have had.
    You will pick up aprox 3.2 oz. up front using a FLGR. It does help with muzzle climb despite what some may say. The first day I shot my new Ed Brown ET I also had one of my Gold Cups with me. I could not believe the difference in the two pistols, the Gold Cup not having a FLGR and the ET having one.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    You will pick up aprox 3.2 oz. up front using a FLGR. It does help with muzzle climb despite what some may say. The first day I shot my new Ed Brown ET I also had one of my Gold Cups with me. I could not believe the difference in the two pistols, the Gold Cup not having a FLGR and the ET having one.

maybe because one is a Colt and the other an Ed Brown? :laugh::dunno:

have you swapped rods in both and seen any difference?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom