• ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have not shot either of the new versions, am thinking 6"

Am looking for something to run hotter deer loads.

Have shot the original versions. Didn't care for the old Anaconda.
    Old Pythons (have one) are OK.

Anybody been blasting one, done any 50 yard testing?

Wilson sight swap for either as I hate Accro/Elliason and Kensight's for the originals won't work on the reissues.

Combat Engineer

One of the three percent.
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2022
    Mauckport In.
    A friend of mine went to the range with me a while back,he had a scoped eight inch anaconda.Its slightly more accurate than my scoped Raging Hunter.The difference was minimal but it was there.Loved the trigger.Didnt dig the Burris scope as much as my Leupold...nice gun though and beautiful.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    586/686 smith over the new python.
    Pre 1970's python over about any 357 outside of a corth.

What you are/were buying in pre 1970's python was the craftsman who assembled the rig.(plus that fine finish that was highly poisonous )

New python you are buying the machine that makes the gun. With smith you are buying the machine that makes the gun.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    586/686 smith over the new python.
    Pre 1970's python over about any 357 outside of a corth.

What you are/were buying in pre 1970's python was the craftsman who assembled the rig.(plus that fine finish that was highly poisonous )

New python you are buying the machine that makes the gun. With smith you are buying the machine that makes the gun.
    I’m not saying you are wrong, as much old is better than new but new processes can be better than the old. Surgery is/was the surgeon, it is quickly moving to video gamer, meaning computer assisted surgery rather than hands on.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Have shot older Colts, Smiths, Ruger SA and DA.

My search if for a solid hunting gun.

I hate Redhawks. Tolerated a Super Redhawk, w 9.5" in .44 mag ( shot an 8 pt yrs ago w one...out a ways ). Have grown to dislike Ruger SA stuff...and Ruger in general.

Figure a new Python is stronger for heavier usage and a new Anaconda would be cool for optics. Not into 300 gr loads no matter what. 265s would be my max and proly just shoot 240s.

Python would get 158s as max.

Smith 629's I like but the prices for -4 or older, might as well just get a new Anaconda.
    Plus I don't have to worry about -3 or older breaking trigger pivots (BTDT).

Just oiled up my old Python. Cool rig.
    Too bad the new ones are not D&T like a S&W.
    The new Anaconda is set up for a scope base, if one wants.

Also, I'd like to see Hogue rubber grips w medallions for the Colts, both sides scalloped at top (like some old S&W Hogues were ). My Python wears reg ugly Hogues.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a 69 Python that has had a trigger job by the Custom Shop yrs ago. Yup its nice. But not oodles better than what other stuff is/ can be.

Just wondered who has one of the new rigs and has shot/ tested it a bit

Handled a 6" Python (new version) and liked it.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Fwiw i never tested a Redhawk or even SuperRedhawk in a Ransom rest. Have shot both and found the SRH 9.5 to be accurate im spite of the trigger. Never cared for the ergs of the regular Redhawk but shot my buds w Leupold 2x and it did well. Just liked the SRH better, even w crap factory grips.

However, I have seen my Python shot in a ransom rest, and it cloverleafed. So Im not buying the hoopla that a Ruger is more accurate. Unless somebody is willing to post targets LOL.

Some platforms are easier to shoot, just depends on what fits best/ what one likes.

Rugers, Ive had some. Pops was in the RCA for a spell. Have grown to generally disliking their stiff. Good ideas, but just never done to level.I expect. Proly due to man processes,.keeping costs down, trying to stay in the working mans class.of guns.

Not snobbery, just is what it is. Bowen does some really cool stuff to Rugers. Expensive but cool.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Note: i hate the orig Python wood grips and ran reg Packmayr in the large size. Better but still sucked..For me the Hogue rubber finger grooves seem the best.

If i was gonna run a big optic on a .44.mag a SRH w Hogues would be a consideration.

But im more interested in a hip carry rig w a reflex, if I go .44 mag.

Of.course i could get a Delta Elite and totally screw up this thread LMAO.

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I am going to say Delta Elite myself :abused:
    Actually let's make this interesting

b212Y6V.jpg

Since you like nicer firearms, Dan Wesson is still head and shoulders above Colt quality wise IMHO

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I would rather go for a Python than the Anaconda for the ability to fire either 38 spl or 357 magnum. 38 spl being ideal for plinking and 357 being good enough for "stopping power" should it double as a home defense piece. Which in my case it would just be a plinker/collectible.

Funny enough RK in town had both the Python and Anaconda with six inch barrels for the same price last time I was there recently.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I would rather go for a Python than the Anaconda for the ability to fire either 38 spl or 357 magnum. 38 spl being ideal for plinking and 357 being good enough for "stopping power" should it double as a home defense piece. Which in my case it would just be a plinker/collectible.

Funny enough RK in town had both the Python and Anaconda with six inch barrels for the same price last time I was there recently.
    Yeah, they sell for the same price usually.

Top Bottom