• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Please... no logical basis?

People who follow rules tend to follow rules. Those who don't, not so much.

Do you think a student who would be cowed by a prof is nevertheless likely to carry concealed in contravention of uni regs?

I would assume that those who don't give a d*mn what the prof says are more likely to also not give a d*mn what the university policy is, be it concerning guns, drugs or mandatory nap time.

Re the blue text, when parties arrogate responsibilities unto themselves, when they fail to exercise those responsibilities they should be liable for their negligence. All the more so since the university is a state actor.

So they all would come to the conclusion that being responsible for their own safety means they would need to carry? You assume the choice to carry is a foregone conclusion and then assume my opposition is to the act of carrying on campus. My opposition is to your belief that we would have masses of individuals arming themselves at all. I simply don't think that the logical follow-up between "I am the only one who can be responsible for my safety" is "I now need to procure and carry a firearm to secure that safety." Like I said, no logical basis for assuming that reaching point A automatically leads to point B.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Reinforcing the need to [strike]homeschool[/strike] provide for one's own self defense. No one has a more vested, stronger interest in the well-being of the adults in those classrooms than those adults themselves. I find it extraordinarily disturbing - and not at all surprising - that these people who have been conditioned throughout their entire respective lives to listen to those in positions of 'authority' would idly sit in a classroom knowing that there is at least one armed murderer walking around campus without even locking the doors. (Some commenters on Purdue Review remarked that some doors are unable to be locked!) Professors not taking this seriously would have been catastrophic if this were actually a spree and not simple targeted murder. Purdue needs to increase its liability insurance seven-fold since the staff are unwilling or unable to follow the mandated minimum safety protocol. I also foresee a lawsuit on behalf of the victim by his loved ones for precisely this sort of haphazard, inconsistent approach to - and execution of - campus security. Prayers with the fallen and his family.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Like I said, no logical basis for assuming that reaching point A automatically leads to point B.

I think I said 'probably', not 'automatically'.

Good grief, it's a rhetorical device, not a logical proposition. We are allowed license, are we not, or do you subject all discourse and comment to the same fine filter?

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Someone send the professor a history book, one with 1939 Poland in it. Maybe reading about professors being dragged out of class and eventually shot would help them take it a little more seriously.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Well, are there any protests being held for campus carry? Protesting at Chief Wiggum's office?

You can be sure that The Excrement is publishing arguments against it.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think I said 'probably', not 'automatically'.

Good grief, it's a rhetorical device, not a logical proposition. We are allowed license, are we not, or do you subject all discourse and comment to the same fine filter?
    The answer to your final question is "yes." I subject all discourse through the fine filter of logic.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    We can't completely blame the students. Practically everyone is taught to obey an authority figure and follow the crowd from a very young age. Then suddenly they're supposed to think for themselves and break from the last ~18 - 22 years of behavior? It's a failure of society to not teach a balance between obeying authority and thinking for yourself.

As for the gun free zones and policies preventing firearm carry by licensed individuals maybe we're going about it wrong. Instead of trying to get laws passed to forcibly allow carry in various places, we should go for a law that explicitly names an entity liable for our safety and security if they choose to deprive licensed individuals of the opportunity to defend themselves.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Remind me to record any conversations we might ever have.
    Okay, but I don't see why. Are you concerned with your ability to present something logically? Or do you think I'm dishonest enough to accuse you of saying things you didn't say? Perhaps you think I might be human and suffer from the occasional lapse in consistency?

I can tell you the latter is true. Completely true. Though I try very hard not to be human.

Top Bottom