• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    new idea...chop/grill in! what do you think ingo?

first you cut it...then you grill it!

plenty o beer, some grilled meet, ingo friends..sound like a good day to be a hoosier!

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Roger, I will do some googling on "naked whiz". I have a feeling I might get more than BGE!
    Sorry it was a link but autocorrect always changes for some reason. Naked Whiz Publishing Empire
    Great choice. Why the XL instead of the Large? Just curious, my Large can feed a lot of people.
    i have both and I know you directed towards OP but I can say that I probably use my XL more than large even just for me and the family. I will cook the entire meal on there so if I am making steaks or chicken breasts and have the grill wok on there and the tiered rack as well the extra room of the XL is great. I got my L first and afterwards was like I should've got the XL due yo how much I will cook on it at one time. Added to the parties I cater and sometimes sell Q on weekends the XL should've been my first move. Brick chicken also takes a lot of room if you do it with the skillet and bricks. :)

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    Great choice. Why the XL instead of the Large? Just curious, my Large can feed a lot of people.

I really enjoy having people over, talking guns, knives, cooking so I thought it's better to go a bit bigger and not need it then the reverse.

BTW, I rec'd one of these as a purchase gift The Cast Iron Plate Setter -- Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking

It's a cast iron plate setter.

cips_zps6dfdab63.jpg

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Once we are set up, I think a INGO Eggfest is a must! Is there an Indy Eggfest?

Cameramonkey, I have no problem hosting a "Come over and teach me how to use this" BBQ.

Kirk, no problem, I have plenty of Woolrich, wife has a mini Beagle, I apologize for that in advance (head hangs).

Chezuki, knives are never a problem, come by!

Vigilant, Costco Tri-Tips!!!!

And this will be the first thing I'll make!

[video=youtube;p3yb0uhk2BE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3yb0uhk2BE&noredirect=1[/video]

It can be hard to find decent tri-tip in Indiana. It was a staple of barbeques back on the Central Coast that has not caught on here yet. Hopefully it does soon because I really miss a good tri-tip barbeque.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    It can be hard to find decent tri-tip in Indiana. It was a staple of barbeques back on the Central Coast that has not caught on here yet. Hopefully it does soon because I really miss a good tri-tip barbeque.
    Sometimes Marsh will cut me one or save one when they have sirloins on sale. The butchers at ours here are pretty good and know I will take one whenever they get it. Whole Foods will as well if you happen to get up to the northside. Honestly I think the few I have been able to get at WF have been the absolute best I have found anywhere and I have brought some back from SoCal when I am on our airplane. They tend to run a little smaller but they are fantastic. I ordered and made three for Easter

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Wipe it down while still hot (little water, never soap), let it cool, then wipe it down with EVOO and store inside your house. You'll never see a speck of rust.

Any cooking oil will do, in fact, one with a high smoke point (like peanut or soybean) would be best. No need to waste expensive extra-virgin olive oil on rust prevention.

And Benny, that's a 2 day suspension of your man-card for using "evoo".

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    You cooking by time or temp and at what temp? 8lber should go for about 2hours/lb at 250, or shoot for an internal temp of at least 195
    Yep. It's a blend of art and science.

Timing and temperature are both second to texture in the grand scheme. You can get a butt to 195 in 3hrs, but it "ain't done 'till it's done". It has to be at temp long enough to break down the collagen and connective tissue.

I smoke butts between 230° & 250° and I'll check them after 12hrs, but they're usually not ready until 14-15hrs.

But what do I know, I don't even own a BGE.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Congrats on the purchase. I've had a LBGE for 6 years and use it about twice a week year round. I'd suggest learning to get good air control using just the vents before you start using any kind of electronic controller. Those are cool gadgets but learning vent control the old way will make you a better cook.

Also, I would suggest doing a couple of spatchcock chickens as your first few cooks. Delicious, easy, and will let you get the hang of everything. Raised grid direct cook at 400 degrees takes about an hour every time.

Also, you'll have to find your preferred method of lighting the lump charcoal (never use briquettes...I'm sure they told you that ). I've done fire cubes, oiled paper towels, fat wood sticks....but my method now is to use a MAPP gas touch. If you push the used lump up to the top over any new charcoal you added and light the used charcoal you won't get bad sparks. Trying to light fresh lump with a torch will cause big sparks.

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions as you go along.

Top Bottom