• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • brute69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    For your first gun, something "throw away" but dependable wouldn't be a bad idea, i had a highpoint 9, less than 200 bucks, dumped thousands of rounds through it. It would give you a good idea of what size, and caliber suits you over allot of rounds and situations. When your done with it and know exactly what you need, sell it for nearly what you paid for it and know what fits your life.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Go to a range and try out several, don't buy anything that day sleep on it the go back next week after doing some reading and research and pick out one you will like.
    I would also suggest shooting with friends or taking lessons before you buy. Get a feel for several guns and several other person's perspective.
    Also give a lot of thought to how you will use it. If you are thinking concealed carry don't buy a Dirty Harry Magnum. If you want simple think about a smaller revolver or a glock
    Above all when you decide buy a good quality gun that you like the look and feel of and can shoot fairly well.

Hoosierhunter97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    For your first gun, something "throw away" but dependable wouldn't be a bad idea, i had a highpoint 9, less than 200 bucks, dumped thousands of rounds through it. It would give you a good idea of what size, and caliber suits you over allot of rounds and situations. When your done with it and know exactly what you need, sell it for nearly what you paid for it and know what fits your life.

I absolutely agree with you bro! :yesway:

Blondie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you are just getting into guns, a revolver is easier to get used to and safer. And later if you want to hunt deer a 357 is a good gun to start with

tcbloodgood4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    I was in your place about two years ago. My very best friend a 20 year old college Networking Computer guy had bought a Ruger 10/22 rifle and it didn't take me long to get talked into buying my first gun or taking 5 classes of differing levels and multiple places and finally joining a conservation club with a fantastic range. In fact that is where I took my first class. My parents had made sure that I had never touched a gun my whole life, and here I was 50 years old and never had a gun in my hand. Shameful. My kid brother got a bb gun for his 8th birthday. So unfair. Well I did my research and I picked the manufacturer that had been in business since the 1500's, Beretta! Can't go wrong with tradition and success. So I spent $530 on a PX4 Storm .45acp before all this ammo shortage crap. There have been several thousand rounds through it and not a single misfire, fail to fire, stovepipe, or any other kind of malfunction at all. The government just last year awards a contract to them to supply over a million of these in 9mm. They also come in .40. Prior to that the government used the 92FS for years. Not everyone, obviously, but the military. In fact, my buddy just inherited a Glock .40 M&P from his Uncle. So of course when we go to the range we always share guns and ammo. I can afford more than he can and we are both all about accuracy and grouping. I just had to get for my 5th pistol and 8th gun, a Beretta 92FS in .40. I did lots of reserach between that and the Glock 35 gen 4, but the Beretta was $571 and came with 3-12 round mags and included shipping; while the Glock came with one mag and was over $650 without shipping. There is no sense in both of us having Glocks. My brother-in-law bought a Glock for his first gun in 9mm. Actually the .40 caliber goes faster and does more damage than a .45 or 9mm just becuase of the speed.

Check out gunbot.net/ammo for some great prices on ammo I order from the stores on there all the time. Prices can change instantly so you know you are getting the cheapest.

If you want a great target gun, buy a .22 with or without a scope. Ammo is cheap, not as cheap as when I bought 3000 rounds, but relatively still cheap. I have two .22's with scopes. Both have the really thick bull barrels for increased accuracy. I've got a Browning Hunter 7.5" barrel with Coco Bolo grips. It is my most beautiful gun. Then there is the totally blacked out Ruger 22/45 with scope also 7.5" barrel. The longer it is in the barrel the more spin it has on the bullet and the more accurate you will be. The .22's virtually have no recoil at all. My Beretta doesn't have much, but it bucks up when it is fired, but strong hands will re aim quickly and fire again. I've also got 3 rifles that I haven't even fired yet. One is from 1939, looks brand new and is is a Mosin Nagant Soviet rifle and I've got lots of Russian ammo for it.

Hope this helps.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    My first handgun was a CZ-70. Great gun, it's only a .32, and it's a heavy gun, so recoil was light, but it was my first experience with an auto, and most every auto handgun out there follows a very similar format. They can be had for 200 bucks pretty regularly.

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would definitely follow the advice of taking a friend who knows guns and go to range that rents them. I think some of the feeling them and shooting them stuff is best worked out that way. Cause it can get expensive to buy something and find out you dont like it.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I would start with a class. Plenty of listings here on INGO. If you have a local range, they probably have some instruction as well. Also see if there is a component on firearm laws. You need to know this stuff as well, even if you don't carry daily.

Then assess your budget and needs.

Then do some shopping.

I would NOT just go out and buy something, even if that gun seems 'right' to you.

:+1:

I also started out asking INGO for advice on my first gun. I got some perfectly good recommendations, but after taking some classes, I realized that the gun that I click with best is a gun that no one on INGO mentioned.

Don't just drop cash. A range trip may not even be enough. Take a class, do different drills, and see how you feel after a few hundred rounds. There are some instructors, even right here on INGO, who'd let you shoot their sizable gun collection. (No, not shoot *at* their guns, but shoot *their guns*.)

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just remember that it's going to be awfully hard to find one gun which will be truly outstanding for target practice and for carry and for personal defense and for hunting. And don't let anyone convince you that a high price always equates to quality. I've owned a bunch of handguns over the years, currently own seven, and my personal favorite - all around - is a Bulgarian-made Makarov! Set your priorities, shop around, decide what's best for you, and don't get caught up in the latest craze, whatever it may be.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Unless you think you'll need lots of shots, a revolver would be a safe bet, but new ones are not cheap. SP101 is good, but will cost you $500+

If you are not intimidated by the additional complexity of a semiauto there are some good cheap options such as S&W Sigma, and some Ruger models. Even the S&W M&P can be had new or slightly used at some v good prices

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Agree the SP101 are easy to shoot and so are the GP100's, great guns. They both shoot 357mag and 38 specials, the 357mag are a little expensive and hard to find some times but the 38 specials are just little more than 9mm usually.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Agree the SP101 are easy to shoot and so are the GP100's, great guns. They both shoot 357mag and 38 specials, the 357mag are a little expensive and hard to find some times but the 38 specials are just little more than 9mm usually.
    well any ruger you can beat someone to death with it and it wouldn't hurt it a bit.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Just remember that it's going to be awfully hard to find one gun which will be truly outstanding for target practice and for carry and for personal defense and for hunting. And don't let anyone convince you that a high price always equates to quality. I've owned a bunch of handguns over the years, currently own seven, and my personal favorite - all around - is a Bulgarian-made Makarov! Set your priorities, shop around, decide what's best for you, and don't get caught up in the latest craze, whatever it may be.

Good post, here ^^.

If personal protection (i.e., carrying it on your person) is the main goal, then you'll want a gun that you can buy that will let you practice a good bit at the range and will work well for whatever classes you wish to take.

I recommend 9mm for most people because it's mild enough that almost anyone can shoot it comfortably and yet it's powerful enough to be effective. You'll want to hold a LOT of different guns in your hand and choose one that feels as natural as possible. You want it to feel like an extension of your hand.

Here's a potential list of guns you really want to check out before you rule the others out:
    -- Glock 19
    -- M&P 9c
    -- Ruger SR9 and SR9C
    -- Walther PPS
    -- Kahr TP9, PM9, P9 (especially P9)
    -- Springfield XDM 3.8 9mm compact
    -- Ruger LC9

If you prefer a revolver, I'd recommend the Ruger SP101 or GP100 (3" version). You can shoot .38spl until you're comfortable enough to step up to .357 mag.

JMO

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom