• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    LP yesterday from one supplier, 4.95 /gal.
    Today another supplier, 5.69 /gal, 100 gal fill.

Take it for what's it's worth. I was told they sold 800 million gals overseas the last 5 yrs. This year they sold 8 billion gals overseas. This was from a trusted LP guy. He also said there's the delievery issue.

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    My L.P. guy is starting his own business, bought my own tanks, one for my house and one for my renters house. When I called him yesterday (1/25 ) he said transport is the main problem right now, but he's not out to gouge like the big guys are.That being said I bought 800 gal.@ $3.00 still to high but will be able to better plan for future needs with my own tank.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Over hyped? Seems how I called in and requested to have my tank filled 3 weeks ago and they showed up yesterday and would only fill 150 gallons for $3.16 a gallon pre tax! I paid $1.60 a gallon last summer, I feel bad for the people that are tight on money are are trying to survive, they are going to be hurting big time trying to keep fuel on the tank!

This is a big problem and will get worse before it gets better, makes a guy wonder what else he could do for heat.

:):......Crock shizz.....ain't it?......:):.......don't heat with propane.....but got'a tank out back JUS' fer the fireplace.....an' Blueflame in garage......ain't bought the shizz fer 3 yrs JUS' cause of the price.......June thru Aug.....s'POSE ta be best time ta buy,pricewise......back in Aug......quoted me 480 some odd bux fer 200 gal.....:rolleyes:...I said...."well I won't be buy'n the shizz THIS yr,neither then.......JUST call'd 'em few wks back,and would be OVER 600 BUX fer the same amount...:rolleyes:..SOooo....I tol'em "Come an' git you tank,1st chance ya git.......or you'll find it out'na middle Hwy 31" .........:):

Ain no frig'n shortage......they refine'n the sh*t as I'm type'n.....just a way ta run price up.....cuzz they know ya NEED it.....or some does......

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    This pisses me off. Because of the new hours of service the feds put into place for SAFETY, the propane haulers can't meet the demand. So they suspend the rules to save people money. Now the guy hauling a full tank of propane can drive tired and risk the lives of others. Yeah. That's safe.

Just goes to show the stupidity of .gov. They need to eliminate the whole hours of service rules.

I hear you brother, people have no clue how much the hours of service rules have hurt trucking. So now they suspend them? People be warned when traveling, the guy in the tanker beside you with the red 1075 diamond placards has probably been driving for days with little or no sleep. But it's OK, he has a letter from the NTBS granting him permission.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I hear you brother, people have no clue how much the hours of service rules have hurt trucking. So now they suspend them? People be warned when traveling, the guy in the tanker beside you with the red 1075 diamond placards has probably been driving for days with little or no sleep. But it's OK, he has a letter from the NTBS granting him permission.

Just like the OO that is pulling a covered wagon running 2 or more logbooks.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Would it be better to switch to electric heating?

I am told there are LP furnaces that have electric backup built into them, seems to me that would be the way to go as it would give you two heating options, if not for price maybe just for reliability?

If your using LP then you are rural enough to have a generator so you can keep the heat going regardless.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Just like the OO that is pulling a covered wagon running 2 or more logbooks.

And he has probably been doing that for 20 years with no problems. When he gets tired, he stops and sleeps then back on the road. Not driving like a mad man to get somewhere to park before the electronic log hits 8 hours and he hasn't had his 30 min break. ← That's real safe.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I deliver local, a bobtail is a truck chassis with a tank on. Propane is a hazerdous material, a HAZMAT endorsement is needed on a CDL license.
    Our company currently has 9 semi tankers on the road to Texas and Mississippi to keep us in LP. Not sure about this on a national level but the state of Indiana has suspended the hours of service for the transport and delivery of propane. We can work as many hours a day we need.
    Ah... My understanding of "bobtail" is in the semi trucking world where-as it's a truck with no trailers.... If you were looking for drivers for a bobtail my family runs a trucking company. But I don't think they have HAMZAT on their CDLs

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I didn't notice mention of the fact most of the burning and derailed trains were also carrying propane. That had an impact on supply here in WI. Since mid November a day without a temp or at least windchill below zero is very rare. So when the avg. high and low temps for January are usually 22 and 0 and you have many days with a low between -30 and -44 you can do the math on demand. Many homes up here are using 200 gallons a month right now.

This serves as a reminder that infrastructure and logistics is always the weak link in any chain you may be a part of, especially if you are at the tail end of it.

B-lou

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Danville In
    With a ship full of scientists on global warming stuck in the ice in anartica and the winter we are having does that not take the global warming argument down a notch or two....Bob

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    There was an article in the South Bend Tribune quoting the manager at our Farm Bureau where we get our gas that stated the current price is $4.75 a gallon with a limit of 200 gallons. I'm glad we heat with wood and only fill the tank once a year during the summer.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    35 gallons of LP left in the tank. Wood stove cranked and thermostat set on 60. Roads are drifted shut. I have plowed out as far as I can go. Could be an interesting couple of days.

Jeremy

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Would it be better to switch to electric heating?

I can't speak for all houses, but heating my 3800 sq ft with electric space heaters costs 1/4 to 1/3 of what it would be if I ran propane. During the cold snap earlier this month, I ran a a $400 electric bill for a month but burned $700 of propane, even though I tried to run the propane as little as possible.

If I had $20K burning a hole in my pocket I'd put in closed-loop geothermal with electric backup. I've got a heat pump but it's of no use right now. In my situation, propane is the most expensive option available to me but I'm stuck with it for now, at least when the space heaters can't keep up. I'll likely turn the thermostat to 55 tonight and throw an extra blanket on everyone.

Top Bottom