• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I use a Stihl SR450 sprayer, it handles liquids or dust. I mix up a solution of Bifen I/T, it works as a bait and killer similar to what orkin uses. We had them out and for 5 or our 10 acres around the house they wanted 350 a month to treat for mosquitoes. So I bought the sprayer and it has payed for itself. My wife is allergic to mosquitoes, most other things in nature also , and after I spray she has no problem going outside with just some skin so soft off and work in the yard. I spray at dusk and once it dries it is not supposed to harm other animals even if they eat bug killed by it. It is harmful to aquatic life so I have dunks to use around our pond and marsh. You can't use it around gardens or edible plants or pasture lands. Once we put in the garden I am going to try a mixture with neem oil, a buddy uses it and he says it works. I keep the grass cut short around the house and the brush knocked down around the property. Seems to be working well enough, I have to spray about once a month in the buggy months. I had a propane fogger and it worked if you wanted to just do a quick spray for sitting out on the porch or a cook out, nothing more than a few hours.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I wouldn't drink it straight, that's for sure.;)

And it's not like I'm using this anymore:n00b:...

Ah, the good ole days.

But if you want mosquitoes and flies dead, not much does it better than Tempo. It's also death to those stinking webworms that try to infest my walnut and apple trees.

To minimize the effects on bees, I spray late in the evening. I also avoid spraying in the flower beds unless I see something is eating stuff. The neighboring property to mine is a blueberry farm and they keep bees so I try not to kill too many.

I have found that if I go with a heavy treatment to the yard, early in the year, then spray again with the lower concentration every fews weeks, I never have to spray the flower beds and the perimeter of the house.

When I was a kid, my dad worked for a chemical company. He used to mix up a cocktail of Dursban, Malathion, Isotox, etc. All that stuff said right on the bottles, DO NOT MIX WITH ANY OTHER PRODUCT! When I pointed that out, he said, shut up kid and don't tell your mom. I'm sure it wasn't an environmentally friendly thing to do or great for our health, but it was like there was a wall around our yard. We had to go out into the fields just to catch lightning bugs.

When I was a kid in Hammond, the city would drive around the neighborhoods with a pickup truck that had some form of fogger on the back. We used to chase it around on our bikes. I'm told that they were using DDT back then. Just imagine what I COULD have been :abused:

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    You can adjust the metering rate and air flow rate. Most of the time I am using it on the wood line or foliage, but it does hang in the air and the wind will blow it when I am in a field. I do no think it hangs as much as a propane fogger fog because it is a cold mist as opposed to a vaporized oil.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We are hosting a moderate size cookout/picnic this coming Saturday. What is a good option to put down in the yard or spray for that? Ultimately, we want to get one of the foggers, but it is just not in the books right now.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    They also have a granule that you can apply, I have found it effective in normal situation.. this year is not normal. You can buy it at farm stores.. sometimes wallyworld. Good luck.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    As a kid, my grandpa swore by mosquito beater, which was a granulated product like mentioned above. My mother-in-law tried the recipe making the rounds on Facebook (blue listerine, Epsom salts, and beer), and she said it worked well.

Top Bottom