• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    I have a 1937 Marlin model 80E with with a weaver scope. The guy has a lot of family history. And is in decent. Barrel is nicely browned but not pitted and shoots well. Scope is a weaver with some pitting on the tube and slightly cloudy glass. Could any of you maybe tell mehow old the scope is and or know of some one who can make it like new. Or maybe I just replace after I do some things to the rifle like make a nice custom stock for it myself and get some bluing work done.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Finding someone to work on old scopes it typically a exercise in futility. You will almost always have more in the scope than its worth, and the people who can do it are few and far between.

If you want to keep it period correct, does the rifle have iron sights?

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    It does have iron sights and the scope mount is a shoot through set up. The top part of rear sight is missing but that should be an easy fix

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It does have iron sights and the scope mount is a shoot through set up. The top part of rear sight is missing but that should be an easy fix

See I noticed the mount, and that's part of the reason I suggested abandoning the optics. The rear sight is going to be a MUCH easier fix than the optics. Part of the reason is the scope, part of the reason is the mount.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    Yeah that was my first thought too. But its a cool old scope. I would at least like to maybe find out how old it is. By today's optics standards a $20 Chinese scope would blow this old weaver away in performance and clarity. I'm guessing it's a 1.5x or 2x at best with 1.5" of eye relief

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    If you really want the scope fixed I can look and find the address and phone for a woman in Washington state who has done work for me. Unless your scope has significant sentimental value the repair may not be worth pursuing.

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    If not to much trouble you could pm me her info. I may end up with a modern scope on it and this old weaver will become a fine conversation piece lok

abraham743

Marksman
    Rating - 98.1%
    51   1   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Indy SS
    Have you put much thought into how you will mount a modern scope?

I could probably drill and tap in front of and behind the ejection port and find some bases that would work and find a scope with appropriate amount amount of eye relief. This gun has sat in my safe for 15 plus years just wanting to make a nice shooter again and give it a little range time.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I could probably drill and tap in front of and behind the ejection port and find some bases that would work and find a scope with appropriate amount amount of eye relief. This gun has sat in my safe for 15 plus years just wanting to make a nice shooter again and give it a little range time.

As long as your willing to drill and tap it, rock on sir.

Top Bottom