• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I would like to learn how to clean, process and prepair wild game found in southern In. It has been many yrs. since my last deer and I did not process it. I'm looking for someone in the Brown Co. area that would be willing to take on the task of teaching the proper ways. I'm thinking of volunteering my time at a deer processing location. This seems that it could be a win for both parties plus it would be a good start to understanding the rest. What are your thoughts guys?

HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    Not sure on your time line for wanting to learn but the DNR / Purdue usually puts on a deer processing seminar at several locations each year in the fall. August / September I believe. I attended one and it was very well done. They had a field dressed deer hanging from a gambrel. They went through the whole process from skinning, deboning, cutting and packaging. They even had some prepared venison for everyone to try.
    I have been processing my own for several years now. It was definitely intimidating at the beginning, I was worried about screwing it up but the reality is that you cannot really mess it up. You might not have a picture perfect looking cut of meat but it will eat just fine. Go to Meat Processing Equipment | Sausage Making Supplies | LEM Products Larry Metz has a processing video that is pretty good. Lots of good stuff on youtube too.
    IMO, the most important part of the actual processing is removing all of the silver skin and fat from the meat. It is my opinion that this is what will give your venison a bad taste.
    If you were closer I would try to help you more. Good luck!

LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I attended a deer processing workshop at the Fort Ben Outdoor Experience last year. I learned a ton AND got a free lunch of yummy venison out of it!

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My uncles taught me. Walked in and saw the dead deer hanging there, we both skinned it real quick and they said, cut off all the meat and put it here in these tubs, then we washed it off real good and tossed half in a cubing machine, and then wrapped the rest for the freezer.

That's how I have been doing it for years.

Top Bottom