• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I'm going to be building a new AR for shooting accurately up to 500 yards. I figured it would be worth while to get some advice from the INGO brain trust.

Which manufacturer's complete upper would you recommend and in what configuration?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I won first Indiana Match rifle in NRA Highpower one year with a WOA Douglas barrel I screwed into a DPMS upper. The trophy is on the wall somewhere...

I didn't use a torque wrench or any "1st tier" parts. Lord knows which rifle that bolt is in right now. They kinda float from rifle to rifle.

Just a gentle poke at all the AR elitists that pop up on rifle forums......

Iron sights with less than 1 MOA groups at 200, 300, and 600 yards. Although I don't remember, we might have shot 500 instead of 600 yards on the KD-5 range at Camp Atterbury that year.

OP, any upper with a good air gauged barrel wil get the job done. You just need to be able to shoot up to the barrel. But WOA will build a good one for sure.

You buy the parts and I will put it together for you in about 20 minutes...

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    A Precision Firearms 6.5 Grendel will be in my possession someday ....

A 6mm AR will outshoot it. I have proven that to myself many times. The 6.5 Grendel is OK out to 300 yards, golly gosh it sure thumps that target at 300 yards, but falls way short of the 6mm at 500 and 600 yards. And don't even try to give me the computer ballistics, I have seen it on the range.

If you are going to build a custom AR in a better caliber than .223, just get the best.....

WWW.6mmAR.com

Last edited:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Woa it's who I was gonna buy my barrel from. But I changed my plans mid build and bought a redxarms barrel. Next one will be woa though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I won first Indiana Match rifle in NRA Highpower one year with a WOA Douglas barrel I screwed into a DPMS upper. The trophy is on the wall somewhere...

I didn't use a torque wrench or any "1st tier" parts. Lord knows which rifle that bolt is in right now. They kinda float from rifle to rifle.

Just a gentle poke at all the AR elitists that pop up on rifle forums......

Iron sights with less than 1 MOA groups at 200, 300, and 600 yards. Although I don't remember, we might have shot 500 instead of 600 yards on the KD-5 range at Camp Atterbury that year.

OP, any upper with a good air gauged barrel wil get the job done. You just need to be able to shoot up to the barrel. But WOA will build a good one for sure.

You buy the parts and I will put it together for you in about 20 minutes...

+1 Barrel and bullet, everything else is just user interface or decorations.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I got an Odin Works barrel and have been very pleased. They don't do complete uppers from the factory though.

Rainier is another good option. Remember to get a free-float version if you'll be shooting at 500 yds regularly. It'll make your life a bit easier. (Not that it can't be done with a non-free floated)

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I bought an upper from Teludyne. Straight jacket technology. Most accurate rifle I own. Consistently puts ten shot groups under an inch. Try that with almost any rifle.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    At some time or another I have had some of the best AR barrels out there. Noveske, WOA, Douglass and many others. All were good shooting guns with some shooting tighter than others. However I recently purchased a used 16" match barrel from a INGO member. It was made by Proof Research.. I just come to the conclusion this morning that I have never owned or shot a better more consistent barrel. Shot a 0.286" four shot group yesterday am during a monthly pecision rifle zero verification Not sure what the company does to get their products to shoot like they do but I like it. They are pricey but well work well worth it IMO.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Barrel and bullet.

I like the WOA. I'm also consistently pleased by RRA barrel on my wife's AR. I think Wilson makes them. I was watching her through the scope a few weeks ago and her first group was kinda crappy. She said her sling felt tight. She made an adjustment and shot a a group at .5 moa. The next group was .625 moa. I looked down to see what ammo she was using. WPA Polyformance 55gr out of an RRA SS 20". Hmmm.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Barrel and bullet.

I like the WOA. I'm also consistently pleased by RRA barrel on my wife's AR. I think Wilson makes them. I was watching her through the scope a few weeks ago and her first group was kinda crappy. She said her sling felt tight. She made an adjustment and shot a a group at .5 moa. The next group was .625 moa. I looked down to see what ammo she was using. WPA Polyformance 55gr out of an RRA SS 20". Hmmm.

Wow just think what it would shoot with a nice long match bullet. I am always amazed at what some of these modern ARs are capable of. I just wish I could figure out how to get rid of the one flyer that seems to always open a nice group.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    +1 for barrel and bullet. Look into the Wylde chamber and R5 rifling for an alternative. A friend buit his SPR type rifle using a 18" R5 Wylde nitride coated in/out bbl and with 53gr poly tip hornady loads he can easily get <.5 moa all day. If I were to start one, I would try one of the DPMS smooth side, thick uppers, make sure the bbl insert surface is flat and true and a good bbl. Just my .02.

:ingo:

Top Bottom