• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been posting pretty regularly here for about a year. Before that I was on a Miata forum and before that on a triathlete forum. Out of the blue a few weeks ago, someone contacted me from the Miata forum. I haven't been on that forum for well over 2 years. Well it kinda unnerved me and got me thinking;

When we post something it is out there in cyberspace basically forever. A simple Google search will bring it to light. Another example; on this forum I posted in a thread something about the video game COD. My brother went on Google to do a search to try to figure out how to play it better. Guess what? A link to INGO led him to the thread where he saw my post!

After those two things happened, I virtually stopped posting. I am not sure I really want my words to be out there forever. I am especially leery considering the content matter of the posting on this forum.

Am I being paranoid? Am I getting too old and just not willing to "play" in the new social world we live in?

What are your thoughts on this? I am getting ready to deactivate my Facebook page also. But I don't do anything on that so it's not a big loss. Not posting on this forum does leave me wanting a little, I'll admit.

I would love to hear some feedback from the lawyers also as to how posts on the internet impact a legal issue. Or even being on a jury.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I have been posting pretty regularly here for about a year. Before that I was on a Miata forum and before that on a triathlete forum. Out of the blue a few weeks ago, someone contacted me from the Miata forum. I haven't been on that forum for well over 2 years. Well it kinda unnerved me and got me thinking;

When we post something it is out there in cyberspace basically forever. A simple Google search will bring it to light. Another example; on this forum I posted in a thread something about the video game COD. My brother went on Google to do a search to try to figure out how to play it better. Guess what? A link to INGO led him to the thread where he saw my post!

After those two things happened, I virtually stopped posting. I am not sure I really want my words to be out there forever. I am especially leery considering the content matter of the posting on this forum.

Am I being paranoid? Am I getting too old and just not willing to "play" in the new social world we live in?

What are your thoughts on this? I am getting ready to deactivate my Facebook page also. But I don't do anything on that so it's not a big loss. Not posting on this forum does leave me wanting a little, I'll admit.

I would love to hear some feedback from the lawyers also as to how posts on the internet impact a legal issue. Or even being on a jury.

I perty much own everthing I say, so......really don' phase me in'a least.....

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've almost stopped posting pics of my weiner everywhere because I realized that stuff is out there forever. I mean, I still post pics a couple times a day but it is nothing like it was before.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I've almost stopped posting pics of my weiner everywhere because I realized that stuff is out there forever. I mean, I still post pics a couple times a day but it is nothing like it was before.

Everybody has seen your big fat weiner already.

19526237_SA.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just dont post anything you wouldnt want your mother to see. :dunno: I get hits all the time from years old forum posts on the tech sites I frequent. Relax, its not that big of a deal.

Dont want your words around indefinitely? Then only write your thoughts outdoors using sidewalk chalk. Problem solved.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Just dont post anything you wouldnt want your mother to see. :dunno: I get hits all the time from years old forum posts on the tech sites I frequent. Relax, its not that big of a deal.

Dont want your words around indefinitely? Then only write your thoughts outdoors using sidewalk chalk. Problem solved.

Unless someone thinks it is art and captures the moment.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I perty much own everthing I say, so......really don' phase me in'a least.....

I agree. OP, I also understand where you are coming from, but feel you're either overthinking, or you're regretting some previous posts somewhere. Like Cameramonkey said, don't post anything you wouldn't want you're mother to read.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    This is life. Take the good with the bad. Keep smiling and say I'm sorry every now and then and all is good. (Oops. That's marriage)
    Keep it clean and don't post anything you wouldn't want on Billboards everywhere.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I agree. OP, I also understand where you are coming from, but feel you're either overthinking, or you're regretting some previous posts somewhere. Like Cameramonkey said, don't post anything you wouldn't want you're mother to read.

Probably over thinking. I am guilty of that often, lol. No regrets on my posts really. I don't mind my mom reading any of my posts....

This is life. Take the good with the bad. Keep smiling and say I'm sorry every now and then and all is good. (Oops. That's marriage)
    Keep it clean and don't post anything you wouldn't want on Billboards everywhere.

...it's the billboards where I don't want my posts plastered.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We've had a few people post stuff and then come back to ask us to remove it because they have a court case coming up. Also, a site like INGO can be subpoenaed for information related to a case, including postings that have been trashed. The bottom line is, don't post something you are not willing to stick by.

A former mod was a member of another forum and had an issue with a member who conducted some nefarious acts in his home. The incident was posted and that guy had trouble finding a job. He called the former mod and begged him to remove the comments. No, his made up username did not save him, either. So, taking harleyrider's advice, "Post it, Own it!"

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    We've had a few people post stuff and then come back to ask us to remove it because they have a court case coming up. Also, a site like INGO can be subpoenaed for information related to a case, including postings that have been trashed. The bottom line is, don't post something you are not willing to stick by.

A former mod was a member of another forum and had an issue with a member who conducted some nefarious acts in his home. The incident was posted and that guy had trouble finding a job. He called the former mod and begged him to remove the comments. No, his made up username did not save him, either. So, taking harleyrider's advice, "Post it, Own it!"

Yep, attorneys for police will come looking for post, the names behind usernames, etc... I have first hand knowledge of this :laugh:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Just dont post anything you wouldnt want your mother to see. :dunno: I get hits all the time from years old forum posts on the tech sites I frequent. ***********snip**************

My mother's dead and I'm retired.
    I don't care.
    No weiner fotos yet, though..... I go back to usenet groups and MaxVax rigs......early ninties? When the internet was only 2 miles long and ended in an open cracked concrete tunnel with bolts of electricity flashing everywhere. I'd reached the end of the web and I was the only one there.....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks all for the responses. I think I realize what the issue it. It is me. I must not be very good at verbalizing what I really mean. It seems like most of my life when I speak, the listener seems to misconstrue or just not understand what I am trying to convey. And this is with the ability of the listener to observe my body language and hear my voice inflections.

So instead of withdrawing and not posting, I will continue to post and it will be practice in crafting sentences that will hopefully convey what I am thinking and meaning.

I have met a lot of good people on this forum and I run into several of you as I attend different events. I am not ready to give that up. And if I just lurk, I may learn, but I won't be building what could be some great relationships. After all, we have a lot in common here!

Thanks again.

Top Bottom