• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Great uncle has passed and he has 8 firearms with 1968 amnesty paperwork. They sent me pictures of the guns and paperwork. He has another 20 that are not an issue.

They have names like bar and tommy and several have numbers and two have German roots and one is Russian.

Since I'm the gun nut I told them I would check it out. My my question to you all is how do I verify they are legal so they can pass them to other family members? I'm going up to look them over next week.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I agree....do not leave it to just the normal estate lawyer. Get a true gun lawyer as you may be dealing with some technicalities and obscure paperwork that a normal attorney might not have experience with.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    If the guns are what you say they are, your family might have hundreds of thousands of dollars in value in those guns. It is absolutely worth getting a good lawyer (as the ones above recommended) to make sure they stay in your family's hands and out of the ATFs. The number of transferable machineguns has been dwindling and I have to imagine that some of them are getting lost to the Feds in situations like this.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Was in the NFA business for 20 years, you'll need a lawyer who understands this type of law well. The government won't be much help in sorting out what you have and what's legal or not unless you have good representation and there is likely a lot of money on the table from your brief description. I won't ask about the physical location of the guns or if you've seen them, if you haven't you may just have copies of left over paper work. Best of luck.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    3(456).jpg

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    Why go directly to a lawyer?
    1) Inspect the 1968 amnesty paperwork and verify the serials on it match the guns.
    2) Download ATF form 5, give it to the executor so that the guns can be transfered (tax free) to a lawful heir
    3) Now maybe a lawyer might be required to help with the heir thing. Maybe not.

It all depends on who the heirs are and whether they match up with who wants the guns.
    If the serials do not match the forms then there is a big probem.

I bought a parts kit once that was created when an executor realized that (dead) uncle joe had faked the paperwork on one of his MG's.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    In the event things are questionable a lawyer might be useful in sorting things out, also like you said there's the heir thing, something that can get ugly when a lot of money is on the table.

Jigga

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Make sure you find paperwork for what you can Old Amnesty registered guns have been deemed contraband because ATF can't find their own records of registration from that period. It is important you leave no stone unturned before you contact them on the Amnesty items.

Top Bottom