• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Maybe I don't look the part of someone who is interested in shooting. I don't wear flanel, I don't look like a gangbanger, and I'm not over the same of 40 with NRA stickers all over the rear winsheild of my 1/2 ton truck spruced up with 14 shotguns laying in a rack in plain sight. I am a normal looking guy. I think.

i have had this problem in a few shops and not just gun shops....i dont look the part so i must not be there to spend money. :rolleyes:

but in the case of Pop's, they just suck all around. if you want good customer service, I highly recommend Beechgrove Firearms and Tactical Shotgunner. that's not to say that some other places are not good, but those 2 shops have always treated me as if i was a longtime friend.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Pop's sucks and I'm glad new ranges are coming soon. So maybe Pops will reap the fruits they have sowed by ignoring the general gun community.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    By the way, Beech Grove Firearms is great. The staff is knowledgeable and will let you handle any gun you want with no pressure. Supposedly opening a range soon too, and good prices.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    DO NOT GO TO POPS!! They are AZZ BAGS!!! unless you walk in wearing a badge, then they will offer you coffee and donuts if you let them sniff your holster. they are former LEO's. Sh*tty prices too.

go to Beech Grove Firearms, Bradis, tactical shotgunner, or Plainfield Shooting supply. If im not mentioning any other shops it either cause i havent been to them, or because I have had negative experiences with them (poor prices, poor service, etc.)

hunter46140

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I have had the same problem. Went in there this past friday looking for mags and a holster, had cash too. Was in there for about 10-15 min. Guy behind counter looks at me (after I stood in front of him the whole time) and said "I hate it when people dont shut the range door" and walked away!!! So I walked out and mutterd I'll never step foot in there again. Just really sicks because they are so close. BANNED IN MY BOOK!!!!!

Indyvet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    I have had the same problem. Went in there this past friday looking for mags and a holster, had cash too. Was in there for about 10-15 min. Guy behind counter looks at me (after I stood in front of him the whole time) and said "I hate it when people dont shut the range door" and walked away!!! So I walked out and mutterd I'll never step foot in there again. Just really sicks because they are so close. BANNED IN MY BOOK!!!!!
    COme by and see us at Indy Trading Post. I will be happy to sell you some mags and a holster and we will acknowledge you when you come in and would be happy to help you.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    I know most of this has already been posted but, after my treatment there I want to make sure everyone knows that it is not just one persons bad experience. Just a horribly run business.

They would have helped you but, they are to busy on their computer stool posting on forums to make sure their high prices and HORRIBLE customer service is always the fault of the customer.

retyree98

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Brooklyn
    It seems that once Pop's started selling clothes (5.11 gear) and gear online, the store has been neglected. It seems like their priorities have changed. They have far fewer long guns and scopes and it seems like the clerks are there for an easy day of hanging out. While they can mount scopes and do the extras, it's like pulling teeth to get them to do it. I guess they make enough selling clothes and gear online they don't need the brick and morter monies. While Bradis doesn't have a range, they do have customer service. They have a better selection of guns at much better prices and did I say customer service? It's second to none.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    I highly recommend Bradis. I drove 3 hours to pick up an AR there, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the prices were excellent. I haven't been to any other shops in that area, but Bradis was the best I've been in thus far.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Airborne I started out spending my firearms dollar at Popguns (including a glock 22 that I still carry today) between pistols, accessories, targets as well as a range membership for a couple years but I found about five years or so ago that I began to have the exact same experience as you describe.

As my hobby dollars slowly got funneled to other needs and I got to the point of only showing up and buying the occasional target for my range sessions it almost seemed as though they resented having to sign me into the range, regardless of the fact that the firearm I was shooting was purchased in their store!!

PatriotPride said:
    I highly recommend Bradis. I drove 3 hours to pick up an AR there, and the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the prices were excellent. I haven't been to any other shops in that area, but Bradis was the best I've been in thus far.

I firmly believe that if Bradis or Beech Grove Firearms had a range (BGFA will be opening a new location with a range ETA November) that between those two shops they would probably net 90% of my non ammunition firearms dollars. Both shops customer service and willingness to help are outstanding.

In my opinion Airborne33 avoid Pop Guns and Don's Guns like the Plague. Bradis (www.[B]bradis[/B]guns.com), Beech Grove Firearms (no website currently) and the guys down in Greenwood at the Outdoorsman Sport Shop ( OutdoorsmanSportShop.com :: Firearms ) are pretty solid choices for firearms and accessories around Indianapolis.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's funny, I had the exact opposite experience in both the places Airborne 99 and Vince49 cited. I'm not going to draw any general inferences from either incident.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I firmly believe that if Bradis or Beech Grove Firearms had a range (BGFA will be opening a new location with a range ETA November) that between those two shops they would probably net 90% of my non ammunition firearms dollars. Both shops customer service and willingness to help are outstanding.

In my opinion Airborne33 avoid Pop Guns and Don's Guns like the Plague. Bradis (www.bradisguns.com), Beech Grove Firearms (no website currently) and the guys down in Greenwood at the Outdoorsman Sport Shop ( OutdoorsmanSportShop.com :: Firearms ) are pretty solid choices for firearms and accessories around Indianapolis.

I will assume that you have not been to Indy Trading Post or Tactical Shotgunner. Both of these shops are on the south side of Indy. Indy Trading Post is on Madison Ave north of Troy and TSG is on Shelby St just around the corner. Please drop and visit. Both shops are advertisers here on INGO!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I will assume that you have not been to Indy Trading Post or Tactical Shotgunner. Both of these shops are on the south side of Indy. Indy Trading Post is on Madison Ave north of Troy and TSG is on Shelby St just around the corner. Please drop and visit. Both shops are advertisers here on INGO!

Highly recommend Tactical Shotgunner, especially if your looking for a shotgun or want to improve your current scatter gun. Ron and company are great people!

bmmonts76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Indy
    Same experience for me at Popguns. Went to Plainfield Shooting Supply after my experience at Popguns and haven't bothered buying a gun from anyone else since. It's hard to beat their prices and they have always been helpful.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If Beech Grove, and LE Firearms eventually open up indoor ranges, I wonder what will become of Pops. Unlike most, I usually at least get an acknowledgment when I walk in the store. I have seen a few clerks who are doing something, but I don't know exactly know what, so I can't fault them for dropping what they are doing to run over to me. I have seen their clerks help all different kinds of people, so they are at least helping customers at some point. The range has never been an issue, but now that summer is here, the folks I shoot with are more than content with going down to Atterbury to shoot. It is worth the 40ish min. drive in my opinion to not have to worry if members are packing the range, etc.. Pops is a small range. If Beech Grove really opens up that multi-lane large range, their business should soar through the roof.

MrBogok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Indy
    Its like that all the time in Pops!! either they ignore you or you get a law lecture from the know it all staff. Especially the young maan with the buzz cut!

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I was in Pops about 2 weeks ago, it was me and another guy. The other guy was trying to work out a trade with Pops. He had an FN Five Seven he was wanting to trade in on a Beretta 92 (Don't ask me why). The guys behind the counter said they just couldn't go any higher then $450 in the trade. All the while I'm walking around looking at stuff and nobody said a word to me. When I finally tried to ask a question it was like I wasn't even there, even though I was standing right in front of them. I've never bought from there and I never will.

Joshnbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To the OP i can honestly say that i will stop going to pop guns when the new range opens at Beech Grove Firearms. They have the best staff i have come into contact with and i highly recommend them. I have known Greg and Gary for a long time so it was only natural for me to get my first gun there when i turned 21. If you stop in to check anything out or look to make a purchase tell them "Sh** Birds' Son" sent you in. They will appreciate that..

P.s. i have NEVER gone into pop guns and been greeted there and i frequent their shooting range

Top Bottom