• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Well..... I had one good experience at Pop's recently with a guy named Harry. But on Tuesday the same guy's attitude and B.S. opinion about a gun that I myself was familiar with, ran me out of the store over to KS&E where I bought TWO guns!!!! :rockwoot:

Guess he didn't like me pointing out that their price on this gun was $40 above KS&E's.:dunno:
    :cheers:

LOL I was at Pop's yesterday and saw a MKIII and noticed it was priced about $40-$50 over the same model found at KS&E. Thats funny, wonder if we saw the same one. Ed and Darrel may not be the most personable guys in town all the time, but they do get you a good price on your purchases.

About all I use Pop's for now is their range since its close to home.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Know about what you need.

I have been using Pop Guns off and on for many years, long before their present business location when Dad ran the business. I have noticed you need to learn about the stuff you need before you buy from anyplace.

Pop Guns presently have a Daniel Defence QR front sling mout for around 48 bucks. This item sells new from Daniel Defence for 13 bucks plus shipping. Like I said, know about what you need before you buy.

Personnal, I like not having a sales person's attention as soon as I walk into a store. I like to look around abit. Often I see things I can't live without. I'm a guy and I tend to impulse buy. Pop Guns just may know that about guys.

Other than some pricing problems Pop Guns will give you personal service when you are called next. I've had to wait awhile but when it was my time they gave me their time.

I'll be back to buy the stuff I need but I won't be suckered in paying high prices like the QR sling mount. Then again, the item may be mis-priced. That does happen you know.

I believe in supporting my local shops. When they are gone what the heck are we going to do?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Besides the people that wont be going there from hearing bad things about the shop.
    That would be me.
    I've heard only negative opinions and comments about Pop Guns and reading more of the same about them here has settled it for me.
    I'll be heading to Indy in a couple weeks and will decidedly NOT waste time, gas, & effort on that establishment.

I had a loaded weapon pointed at me more times that day than in my entire career!
    Good lord!! Why did you stay after the FIRST time??:eek:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Never had a problem there myself. I have always been asked if I needed anyting, and once was told I would be taken care of as soon as another customer was taken care of. I agree, know about what you are going to purchase before you go to any store. I picked up a Bersa 380CC used for a great price. I would say it had not been fired at all. I used them once for a transfer, but will probably use someone else less expensive next time. Picked up a Glock knife for about retail and could have probably done better on it, just wanted it at the time.

Sure other shops can give better prices on firearms, but of the indoor ranges, Pops seems better. I know of only Pops and Dons in Indy. I drop by once in awhile just to window shop, but then, I do that with all of the local shops. Never say never, you might just miss a deal.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Personally..

I liked Pop's Guns a lot more when Junior was involved in the day to day operations of the store.

Those days have been long gone... sad.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    He was in the shop when I stopped by last Friday. I lived in Louisville for the past seven years and recently moved back. I had not seen him since before my move and I have not his Dad for quit some time. I hope his Dad is doing well. Likely retired.

The Daniel Defense part that I thought was way over priced was just mismatched. The second part was found which made their price in line. I went today after work and bought the part. I am a happy camper. Daniel Defense was out of stock on the item but Pop Guns had it in stock.

Know what you want before you go into to any shop, be it gun, motorcycle or anyplace else your wife may not want you to go too often and you'll know when and what to buy at a price that you can live with. Maybe not your wife, but you can.

Last edited by a moderator:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I took the trip over to popguns yesterday since it was the next closes indoor range to me (don's was first and I am not rushing back there anytime).

I had a great experience, I brought both of my parents who have never shot handgun outside of a NRA intro to handgun / safety course that we all took together about a year ago and the staff was really friendly and let my mom hold about 10 different firearms to see which ones felt right in her hands and which ones she could safely and efficiently operate. I think she is pretty set on a 9mm Kimber ProCarry II (which I will be very jealous of if she gets).

After looking around at their selection and talking with the older gentleman behind the counter for a while we sent about 200 rounds down range with my HiPoint C9 and about 150 rounds with the Ruger 10/22.

Everything seemed really well organized there and they were very friendly and willing to help. Next time I plan on doing the flat rate of $11 for as many rentals as you want and buying a box of 9mm so I could try out a few different styles of gun and see what my next purchase will be.

If anyone is looking for a C9 they had a used one for $125 with 2 magazines and a hardcase. For the price I don't really think you can beat the C9, its American Made, Lifetime Warranty, looks ugly, but always goes boom.

Anyways, +1 for popguns here.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    I took the trip over to popguns yesterday since it was the next closes indoor range to me (don's was first and I am not rushing back there anytime).

I had a great experience, I brought both of my parents who have never shot handgun outside of a NRA intro to handgun / safety course that we all took together about a year ago and the staff was really friendly and let my mom hold about 10 different firearms to see which ones felt right in her hands and which ones she could safely and efficiently operate. I think she is pretty set on a 9mm Kimber ProCarry II (which I will be very jealous of if she gets).

After looking around at their selection and talking with the older gentleman behind the counter for a while we sent about 200 rounds down range with my HiPoint C9 and about 150 rounds with the Ruger 10/22.

Everything seemed really well organized there and they were very friendly and willing to help. Next time I plan on doing the flat rate of $11 for as many rentals as you want and buying a box of 9mm so I could try out a few different styles of gun and see what my next purchase will be.

If anyone is looking for a C9 they had a used one for $125 with 2 magazines and a hardcase. For the price I don't really think you can beat the C9, its American Made, Lifetime Warranty, looks ugly, but always goes boom.

Anyways, +1 for popguns here.

Glad you had a good experience at Cop..... err..... I mean POP Guns!!! ;)

So.... 200 rounds in one of those "piece of junk" H/P's huh??? :dunno:

Tell the resident gun snobs here how many failures you had!!! :D

I'm glad to see you've found that shooting can be fun without spending a ton of $$$ :rockwoot:

Thanks for your report!!! :cheers:

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    I actually went back today and sent another 150 rounds down my "piece of junk c9." Not a single FTE, FTF, FTeX, again. When I came out the older gentleman asked if I got alot of jams, and I said "nope, not a single one" and he said I was lucky. Luck or not I am still impressed with the c9.

I also did the flat rate of $11 for rentals (and bought a 50 round box of their ammo) to try out all the 9mm's they had. Their selection included
    Glock 17
    Springfield XD-compact
    S&W 9ve
    Beretta (can't rember the model right now)

I was the most impressed with the glock 17, it was such a smooth shooting gun, felt like it was built like a tank, and was dead accurate. I didn't really like the grips but everything else felt great on it.

I didn't really like the S&W too much, but it was still fun to shoot.

The XD felt a little small in my hands, but I enjoyed shooting it.

Looks like its time to save up for a G17 or G19 :-)

drymartini

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My one trip there was last week. The service was ok, prices bad. I mentioned the quote I got from another shop on a handgun, they said 'go buy it.' Fine. I did.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    That would be me.
    I've heard only negative opinions and comments about Pop Guns and reading more of the same about them here has settled it for me.
    I'll be heading to Indy in a couple weeks and will decidedly NOT waste time, gas, & effort on that establishment.

I am a member of Pops range and have always been treated with respect. I have only bought ammo, targets and a holster, no guns but got good service every time I went. Now that I have my FFL I don't think I will be buying any guns there to give a report on their service.:D

IndyParts

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Ktown Indiana
    I have been to pops several times in the past to look a guns/ range use. Never had a good experience there. I went last week and the owner must have over slept because it was 12pm and the doors were still locked (they opened at 10am). They had customers just waiting outside the door.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have been ignored in there before, but not as much since I have been going in there for so long. Their prices are not great, just ok to me.

KS&E is ok, but I dont like to have to come home and take another shower to get the cigarette stench off of me.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Went in with a friend today just to buy batteries... stood there for nearly an hour, no one wanted to even acknowledge us, despite us standing at a case, very much looking like we needed help, finally had to walk over and interrupt an employee mid sentence and ask for batteries because I was getting fed up with standing there. First time I've ever been there, last time too.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Went in with a friend today just to buy batteries... stood there for nearly an hour, no one wanted to even acknowledge us, despite us standing at a case, very much looking like we needed help, finally had to walk over and interrupt an employee mid sentence and ask for batteries because I was getting fed up with standing there. First time I've ever been there, last time too.

You stood there for an hour before you went to ask for help?

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    You stood there for an hour before you went to ask for help?

I'm not the type to start talking over anyone... and half the time they were on the shop phone or their cell phones. Only 2 guys in there, and they didn't really seem like they wanted to be there at all. When they weren't chatting with people looking for range time, they were on a phone or babysitting people looking at guns, trying to sell accessories to them. They weren't acknowledging multiple people that clearly wanted assistance.

Top Bottom