Poll- Would you use a surplus rifle for SHTF?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Would you use a surplus rifle for a SHTF/WROL scenario?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I may have to change my opinion from up thread. I have the M-14 bug in a bad way. I want a heavy battle rifle and this fills the bill. Have owned a few before and want another. A Springfield loaded M1A would make me smile and those in its sights frown......:draw:

thekicks6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    I would definitely use surplus rifles for shtf. Purchase the ammo in bulk and you definitely be prepared for whatever is thrown your way.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I may have to change my opinion from up thread. I have the M-14 bug in a bad way. I want a heavy battle rifle and this fills the bill. Have owned a few before and want another. A Springfield loaded M1A would make me smile and those in its sights frown......:draw:

Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly, the loaded model has National Match sights on it which are finer than regular sights, hence potentially more difficult to see, which is why I went with the standard model.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy

I second this! Get the an appleseed, and then go get one. Then honor your heritage and get involved as a part of the solution. And maybe you just wont need to utilize and simply enjoy. Fingers-crossed.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Are you sure about that? If I remember correctly, the loaded model has National Match sights on it which are finer than regular sights, hence potentially more difficult to see, which is why I went with the standard model.

Yes, I believe you are right about the sights. I really like the gun but will look at the Standard before I decide.
    The money involved for buying the gun, accessorizing (mags, ammo etc) would put me in a nice Springfield TRP with accessory's. Decisions decisions.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I second this! Get the an appleseed, and then go get one. Then honor your heritage and get involved as a part of the solution. And maybe you just wont need to utilize and simply enjoy. Fingers-crossed.

APPLESEED,LAKE VILLAGE 6-30...7-1 [rimfire only]
    Your first appleseed should be rimfire anyway.No sense wasting 400
    rounds of .308 trying to learn the basics. [appleseedusa.org]

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I have a bunch of ammo so of course i would. i would probably use that before any of my better weapons because i would not mind if it broke or ran out of ammo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    A Mosin and a spam can of ammo can be had for well under $200. That's a cheap "buy and forget" powerful rifle already prepped for storage and a fair amount of ammo.

Is it my first line? Of course not, but I'm a shooter and a gun enthusiast so I have a very large selection available. Would I stick a $1000 rifle and another $200 of ammo into a secure location off site that I may never see in my lifetime? Nope.

Top Bottom