Political funny pictures thread, part IV. Bring on the leather!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Add your own captions!

D8KM9pzUcAATns8.jpg:large

You look like your head is up a bear's ass.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I stood the pass in review twice and several around me passed out. You couldn't see them from the stands and after a little rest they stood back up and we all marched away.

The most important thing to remember is "DON"T LOCK YOUR KNEES!"

Yes, MARDET on a carrier in the Med in summertime. At attention for 4 hours. One of the Navy Ensigns hit the steel deck at full attention. It sounded like someone dropped an watermelon.
    Don

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by Robert E. Lee It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.

Many who have not seen it, seem to not understand.

I've heard many people talking about how easy it would be.

Seems that history shows most wars, maybe all, starting with a person saying "it will be easy. We'll be home by Christmas".

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, look what happens to the "fabric of society".
    Law and Order can either break down, or become oppressive.
    Men that break the idea of "killing is bad" sometimes don't do well putting that genie in the bottle.
    Look at what some men did after the Civil War.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Having been around many “combat” veterans I’ve found the infantry types rarely speak of their experiences while the Air Force veterans who dropped bombs from 30,000 feet had all types of harrowing experiences to relate. Big difference between looking the enemy in the eye and flying over real estate at high altitude. This is not to say WWII B29 pilots and crew didn’t face danger on every mission. Don’t get me wrong, every veteran deserves the respect they have earned by their service. However, some of the most vocal about their combat experience should be viewed with a little skepticism. Those I know who are the most decorated are also the most humble and reluctant to share their stories.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    From my experience with vets, generally those that talk the most, did the least. I used to know a "D-Day" vet who hit the beach on June 15th! I think every hat & shirt he owned had "D-Day Vet" emblazoned on them, but it seemed like "stolen valor" to me, since he DID NOT land on D-Day, just the same beach nine days later.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Having been around many “combat” veterans I’ve found the infantry types rarely speak of their experiences while the Air Force veterans who dropped bombs from 30,000 feet had all types of harrowing experiences to relate. Big difference between looking the enemy in the eye and flying over real estate at high altitude. This is not to say WWII B29 pilots and crew didn’t face danger on every mission. Don’t get me wrong, every veteran deserves the respect they have earned by their service. However, some of the most vocal about their combat experience should be viewed with a little skepticism. Those I know who are the most decorated are also the most humble and reluctant to share their stories.
    It’s always the quiet ones.

I think I owe you a cheeseburger Amboy49.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

From my experience with vets, generally those that talk the most, did the least. I used to know a "D-Day" vet who hit the beach on June 15th! I think every hat & shirt he owned had "D-Day Vet" emblazoned on them, but it seemed like "stolen valor" to me, since he DID NOT land on D-Day, just the same beach nine days later.

My experience with a variety of veterans is that their tendency to discuss their experiences and their tendency to embellish or withhold are pretty much like the rest of the population. How well you know someone will affect what and how much they share with you. Some people like to talk and others don't. Some like to make the story big, and some will downplay. Most are in the middle. I don't buy the stereotype of stoic silence from "real" veterans or the equivalent stereotype of the loudmouthed, oversharing "REMF." They're people who, while they did share a common experience that non-veterans did not, are still going to form a relatively normal distribution (stats talk for Kelly!).

As an example, I once met a fellow (later became friends) who overshared some rather outlandish combat experiences from Vietnam (including the number of times he had been wounded by AKs and SKSs) within the first 15 minutes he was near me. I decided to be polite and listen, but remained internally skeptical. Later I learned via some well known Vietnam era SEALs that pretty much everything he said was factual and that he had worked with them closely in Vietnam (he was in the Army). I have another friend who retired from the 10th SF group (20+ years) who doesn't have an "off" button who told me a lot of stories when we first met. On the other end, I've known several people for quite a while who eventually revealed nondescript military service as a complete surprise to me. I've also encountered plenty of people who coincidentally match the stereotypes in both directions.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    My experience with a variety of veterans is that their tendency to discuss their experiences and their tendency to embellish or withhold are pretty much like the rest of the population. How well you know someone will affect what and how much they share with you. Some people like to talk and others don't. Some like to make the story big, and some will downplay. Most are in the middle. I don't buy the stereotype of stoic silence from "real" veterans or the equivalent stereotype of the loudmouthed, oversharing "REMF." They're people who, while they did share a common experience that non-veterans did not, are still going to form a relatively normal distribution (stats talk for Kelly!).

As an example, I once met a fellow (later became friends) who overshared some rather outlandish combat experiences from Vietnam (including the number of times he had been wounded by AKs and SKSs) within the first 15 minutes he was near me. I decided to be polite and listen, but remained internally skeptical. Later I learned via some well known Vietnam era SEALs that pretty much everything he said was factual and that he had worked with them closely in Vietnam (he was in the Army). I have another friend who retired from the 10th SF group (20+ years) who doesn't have an "off" button who told me a lot of stories when we first met. On the other end, I've known several people for quite a while who eventually revealed nondescript military service as a complete surprise to me. I've also encountered plenty of people who coincidentally match the stereotypes in both directions.

I agree completely. I turned 18 in 1966 when they were drafting everybody so I had a lot of friends before during and after the military that went to Vietnam - I got sent to Germany. In general, the ones that were big talkers before were big talkers after and the quiet ones before were quiet after, etc. However there were a few that were put in a position where they had to do things that were completely against their nature. Those guys mostly didn't like to talk about it much, understandably.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    My Father in Law was a SGT in the Army in Texas when Pearl Harbor was hit. They sent his unit to the Aleutians. He was from the hills in Kentucky, knew everything, done evrything and constantly told everyone about life. We figured we knew all about him because he talked so much. He never really said much about the war.

One day it was just him and I having breakfast. He was at the point he needed help with daily life. He started to talk, for 4 hours. I heard the amazing , terrifying truth from him. All the men he lost and things he did. How he still carried guilt for much of it. He was one of the greatest generation and took care of his family with a passion. After I asked his children and they had never heard this.

I wished it could have been recorded, he died a year later. It really humbled me.

Don

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom