• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I just now got to watch the video. That dash cam almost makes you want to duck under the kitchen table when you watch that guy open fire.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    4. The older guy off camera is an idiot. Who cares that you have a pistol. The pistol is to protect you, not try to play "I'll cover you officer while you call backup". That was a REALLY stupid thing for him to do to get involved. Hopped up on adrenaline, the officer could have seen him as a second, unintended threat.

:noway: Strongly Disagree.
    An armed civilian running off like chicken little would be an IDIOT imo.
    With no back up in site this could have ended MUCH worse.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

The two cops provided each other with backup, the armed civilian didn't engage the guy. If you are going to be "backup", don't just stand there and say "I have a gun." Use it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    The two cops provided each other with backup, the armed civilian didn't engage the guy. If you are going to be "backup", don't just stand there and say "I have a gun." Use it.
    Yeah - if you believe there is a need for you to defend somebody else's life, you don't have time to stand there and say, "Do you need me to open fire?"

You either feel it's necessary, or it's not. Apparently this bystander felt it was not.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Is there any chance the holes in the windsheild came from inside the car. I know thats not how they trained but when the shtf things happen? He looked spray and pray and thats a pretty good group.

I hope all LEO's would reflexively consider firing through the windshield. I know this cop did ... and thus, survived.

I'm glad these two LEO's went home at the end of the day.

BTW ... someone asked and it hasn't been mentioned yet ... Officer Erin Thomas lost a finger in the shootout. I believe her partner was struck in the thigh.

Spazzmodicus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Wow!!!

That was crazy.

The officers are lucky to be alive. Does any know were Savage was hit? The article says he was injured by gunfire as well, but it could have been glass fragments or something else too maybe.

29 rounds from Savage is pretty good in light of taking incoming from an AK at 15 yards. Was that probably his service pistol with a reload or do you suppose he had an AR handy?

Glad the officers made it through.

I looked like the initial barrage of AK fire was low and hit the front of the car. The engine probably won't start again, but probably saved those officers lives.

More like 6 or 7 yards. Wide-angle lenses badly distorts perspective and makes near objects appear further away than they actually are.

And I agree: 29 shot from a handgun vs. 33 shots from an AK is pretty dang ballsy.

indymike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Is there any chance the holes in the windsheild came from inside the car. I know thats not how they trained but when the shtf things happen? He looked spray and pray and thats a pretty good group.

Yes, at least some of those windshield holes were from the officer firing from inside the cruiser. According to the Middlefield police chief:

"Stanko said Thomas fired back, as did her partner Brandon Savage. Stanko said Savage returned fire through the windshield of the cruiser."

Middlefield police still do not know what caused man to fire on 2 officers (video, audio, slideshow) | cleveland.com

On another note, does anyone know what caliber the Middlefield, OH police carry? I'm assuming .40 but it'd be interesting to know how many mag changes the officers had to do.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine

I am pretty sure if someone jumped out of the passenger side of that car with similar intent the older dude with the gun would have engaged.:draw:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Anyone notice the oncoming white car, once the shooting starts, the driver is like "whoa!" puts it in reverse, and gets out of dodge. I gave a lil chuckle.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This case is exactly why I encourage police to ALWAYS finish a pursuit if someone tries to run. I hate when people whine "that chase was because someone ran a red light, and now someone got hurt. How pointless!"

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Where, exactly, in my statement, did I say to run? No. I said that man was an idiot b/c he tried to inject himself into the fight after it was done. Argue a point that was made, not one you want to make up.

If you have a gun and you see something going down, either get into the mix (and realize one of the potential consequences of opening fire on the same target as the police are could get you shot either by bad guy or by police thinking you're shooter #2) or stay behind cover.

Second shooter boils out of the passenger side? Officer's not able to shoot or are shot horrifically to a bitter end? Now's your time to act.

Think OODA: Observe, orient, decide, act.
    1. Observe: is the guy getting back up? Do you have a shot that wont pass through and hit someone behind him? Is there a second shooter? What are the police officers telling people to do? If they are telling people to get down, as they did in the video, what are your chances of being considered target #2 if you don't follow their commands?
    2. Orient: Get behind cover or something that will keep you relatively safe. Deploy your weapon if needed or capable.
    3. Decide: Are you going to take that shot? Over 15 yards or more with a ratty used LC9 or whatever someone has on their person? What about a rifle or shotgun?
    4. Act: Shoot, don't shoot, stay where you are? If shooting done, do you have a perforation kit and know how to use it? Help the officers?

Too many considerations here for someone who wants to play "back up" be the next person to get interviewed by the news as "the man who stopped the shooting, tonight at 11!". If the officers, as in this case, are telling people to stay down, they got it as best as under control as possible. Stay down, stay where you are, pull your "pistol" and aim it at something useful if you need to, but stay out of the way if you didn't act and they have it handled. If they were screaming for help, help. If they are dead and the man is swearing, bent over in anger at his wounds, then lay into him with the fury of God's own thunder. :twocents:

Top Bottom