• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Not "agricultural grade" just full strength. Most home & garden versions of ag chemicals are basically deluted from original.

You have to have an Agricultural License to purchase it. The farmer buys it by the 330 gallon tote.

I paid $20 for a gallon milk jug full. 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water will kill any weeds I have put it on for at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the summer.

The stuff in the stores is junk compared to this.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I'm working on removing a bunch of asian bush honeysuckle now (another invasive). Wish I had known what it was earlier. Now it is a substantial operation. Cut it down and you have to hit the stump with Roundup to prevent it from growing back. I'm sure I'm going to have to keep fighting stragglers for a while.

I have just the solution for your honeysuckle problem.
    Go to Rural King and pick up a quart bottle (or two, or three depending on how much you'll need) of Tordon.
    If you're concerned about collateral damage, put on some rubber gloves and dab the Tordon on the leaves of the honeysuckle by hand.
    If you're not too concerned about that, mix it up in a spray bottle with the recommended amount of water and spray it on the leaves that way.
    I used this product on a single honeysuckle that had nearly strangled our lilac, just dabbing it on four or five leaves, then just left it alone to let it do its magic.
    The plant turned from green to brown in two days, then the leaves fell off, then the whole honeysuckle flat died in a month or two.
    There's not even a trace of the honeysuckle, not a single stalk or tendril.
    My lilac is now rejuvenated and doing better than ever.
    Tordon is also total kryptonite for the hated poison ivy/poison oak, as well as the ever tenacious mulberry.
    It's designed to be particularly effective on woody plants.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You have to have an Agricultural License to purchase it. The farmer buys it by the 330 gallon tote.

I paid $20 for a gallon milk jug full. 2 teaspoons to a gallon of water will kill any weeds I have put it on for at least 1/2 to 2/3 of the summer.

Since we are arguing technicalities, you just admitted to committing a felony on the inter webs. If the grower is required to have a license to buy the product then it is restricted use. That means you shouldn't have it without a license. Even if it isn't restricted use it is technically illegal to repackage pesticide without a license and proper labeling.

Now on the truth of the matter. Nobody really cares. The farmer probably bought a shuttle of Round-up (brand name) or generic glyphosate (same as round-up). It is not restricted use. That means you could go to the farm supply place and buy it yourself for about $20 a gallon. They sell it in 2.5 gal jugs and you can buy it. The stuff at the farm supply store is probably 41% active ingredient. Read the bottle at Walmart, same chemical but probably a 10% or 4% solution. Ready to use might even be 1%.

Oh and Tordon is the bomb! Just be careful with the stuff. I have seen it crinkle up some big trees before. Another good product is Crossbow if brush is the target.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Since we are arguing technicalities, you just admitted to committing a felony on the inter webs. If the grower is required to have a license to buy the product then it is restricted use. That means you shouldn't have it without a license. Even if it isn't restricted use it is technically illegal to repackage pesticide without a license and proper labeling.

Now on the truth of the matter. Nobody really cares. The farmer probably bought a shuttle of Round-up (brand name) or generic glyphosate (same as round-up). It is not restricted use. That means you could go to the farm supply place and buy it yourself for about $20 a gallon. They sell it in 2.5 gal jugs and you can buy it. The stuff at the farm supply store is probably 41% active ingredient. Read the bottle at Walmart, same chemical but probably a 10% or 4% solution. Ready to use might even be 1%.

Oh and Tordon is the bomb! Just be careful with the stuff. I have seen it crinkle up some big trees before. Another good product is Crossbow if brush is the target.

Good information Vert

I do have something to add though. Exactly where in my post did I say I didn't have an Agricultural License? Where did I say it wasn't relabeled? Making assumptions is all your doing and accusing somebody falsely of committing a felony ain't cool Bro.

If nobody really cares then why post it at all :dunno:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good information Vert

I do have something to add though. Exactly where in my post did I say I didn't have an Agricultural License? Where did I say it wasn't relabeled? Making assumptions is all your doing and accusing somebody falsely of committing a felony ain't cool Bro.

If nobody really cares then why post it at all :dunno:

If it's Roundup or another product that is not restricted use then you don't need an Applicators License. But since you are properly licensed you already know this and I have no doubt are applying the pesticide in a safe and proper manner. After all "the label is the law" is one of the questions on the exam.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If it's Roundup or another product that is not restricted use then you don't need an Applicators License. But since you are properly licensed you already know this and I have no doubt are applying the pesticide in a safe and proper manner. After all "the label is the law" is one of the questions on the exam.

So you really do care.

Sorry for the thread derail Midget.
    I Hope the new place is coming together. I would hook you up with some guaranteed weed killer but wouldn't want to jeopardize us both getting into trouble. :wrongdoor:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Dow has a product called Stinger which works very well on thistle. Thistles have an extensive underground root system. Not sure if it is restricted use.
    Dow AgroSciences ? Stinger® herbicide
    http://ws.greenbook.net/Docs/Label/L12803.pdf

Not restricted use but expensive. Excellent product though. Agricultural strength generic Roundup is less then $20 a gallon at Rural King. It is a safe and easy to use product. Just mix it at 20 to 1 (6 oz per gallon) and spray it on what you want to kill. Keep it off of stuff you don't. Just don't drink it, spray it on your skin or apply it directly to ponds or other bodies of water.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    Not restricted use but expensive. Excellent product though. Agricultural strength generic Roundup is less then $20 a gallon at Rural King. It is a safe and easy to use product. Just mix it at 20 to 1 (6 oz per gallon) and spray it on what you want to kill. Keep it off of stuff you don't. Just don't drink it, spray it on your skin or apply it directly to ponds or other bodies of water.

My supplier lists it at $39.62 per quart. (lifetime supply for homeowner)

It will do the job.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Life can be tenacious:

flower-tree-growing-concrete-pavement-19.jpg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest

Havent been online for few days but Vert basically posted my reply...active ingredient % greatly reduced in consumer products. I am a retired farmer and have used RoundUp and other similar products ( Glyphosate ) for approx 40 years ( thousands of gallons )...bought it in barrels, and eventually in bulk. Had a private applicator license until I recently let it expire ( tenants now handle buying ). I am very aware of differences between the "real" product and what is sold to homeowners/consumers.

Much more involved in successful herbicide application than average homeowner has knowledge of or will do. Proper rates ( solution %, correct amount for targeted species & growth stage ), application timing, weather, mineral content of water used ( label calls for additives to counter act ), use of surfactants, proper nozzle & pressure ( particle size ), environmental concerns, etc. More is not always better so consumer products are designed to allow average residential consumer to apply without huge risk of over application thus "watered down."

Whether or or not your "kill" lasts for 1/2 - 2/3 of the summer has nothing to due with the strength of the glyphosate. Dead is dead...if the weed is actually killed it is dead. Glyphosate gives a "contact" kill...it is meant to kill what it is applied to...does adsolutely nothing to a plant ( or weed seed in the soil ) it does not contact. It has no, zero residual effect the so the glyphosate you applied has absolutely nothing to do with how long it is before another weed grows in that spot. If it is tank mixed with a pre- emergent ( such as certain consumer products that advertise long periods of control ) then you can expect a length of time ( sometimes entire growing season ) with no new weeds appearing. This period of time is dependent on particular herbicide, rate used, weather conditions, etc. and will vary.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Better living through modern chemistry.

One of my favorite stories was about a guy who had built a new home on a wooded lot (after cutting out most of the trees), with a long gravel drive that meandered through some nice, big shag-bark hickory trees left in the front yard.

His friend gave him some herbicide to treat his drive to keep weeds off of it, guaranteed for at least one year. That stuff kept the weeds off, as promised, but it also killed several of his hickory trees.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    One of my favorite stories was about a guy who had built a new home on a wooded lot (after cutting out most of the trees), with a long gravel drive that meandered through some nice, big shag-bark hickory trees left in the front yard.

His friend gave him some herbicide to treat his drive to keep weeds off of it, guaranteed for at least one year. That stuff kept the weeds off, as promised, but it also killed several of his hickory trees.

I have forgotten many more "mistakes" that I have knowledge of through the years than I can remember...not all by "amateurs ". I once hired some acreage to be sprayed by an agricultural company/supplier I did business with. The herbicide rate was to be 3 oz. per acre...they applied 3 lbs. per acre. It turned into a multiple year "situation" and an expensive one for them.

Top Bottom