• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've only had my motorcycle license since last August. I ended up getting a 2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. Ran smooth. Nice bike I felt to get started with.

Toward the end of the season last year, there was a pinging noise, and lag between the accelerator. Was told to replace the spark plugs first. So I did that this past weekend after a several month search for a socket that would work with the bike.

The lag is gone, but the pinging noise is still there. It actually sounds like a bolt has come loose and something is rattling around. But I find nothing loose that could be making a noise like that.

At idle its faint. But seems to be more noticeable going from 1st to 2nd. Its still there at 3rd through 5th, but the engine overpowers the noise, so I can't tell if its lesser, or just being drown out.

I've only ridden the bike for a few months now, and being fairly new to riding, I'm not sure what kind of sound it is, or what to look for.

Another thing I've done, was run it almost out of gas, and filled it with 93 octane. I thought that it could have been possible that I put some low octane gas in it last year. But with the new fresh gas, it still sounds the same.

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I think there's about 4000 miles on the bike. I just bought it last August. And the seller didn't mention anything about the valves. So I'm not sure. Everything about riding the bike seems normal. Its just a different sound than what I remember when I rode it for the first month and a half.

But the rattle seems to be in sync with the RPMs from what I think I can tell.

I've emailed the Honda/Kawasaki place in Noblesville, next to Bare Arms, about getting it in to look at.

Top Bottom