• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    The wife has been researching Glacier a few weeks so far, then will get me a list to whittle down and organize. I'd like to hit it this September, she's thinking 2025. I guess it depends on hotel / activity availability.

We will likely fly into Bozeman or Spokane, although it looks like flights and rental cars are cheaper in Spokane.
    We had family leave from Nashville and their flights were better through Denver, to Bozeman I believe, we flew from Indy through Chicago to Kalispell.

Going to the Sun Road was closed at the higher elevations.
    We stayed in Kalispell the whole 7 days, and the SW entrance was a 45 min drive but required a pass to go up Going to the Sun Road at that entrance (unless you entered before 7). Not that great of hiking IMO at that end either.
    The east side of the park was a 2-2:45 hour drive and you could get on the road. Much better hiking and viewing from that end, IMO.

We met quite a few people who spent a couple days entering the SW entrance and then moved over to the east side for the remainder, which I would highly recommend.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Nice. I've been to all 50, hit Hawaii before I was 25 and that was the last one. It was a pain to pack for our recent 9 day trip and have it fit in a carry on, but we made it happen!

We had two cooler days in Yellowstone (light jacket and jeans). Otherwise I was in shorts and a polo shirt for the bulk of the trip. It got cold and snowy after we left.

I added Sirius to our rental (I've been out west before) and downloaded offline maps to our phones before we headed out. It was nice having no cellular data in the park, and a cozy Hampton Inn to retreat to for the night.
    While I love a paper map, I greatly enjoyed having Gaia loaded with maps for our day hiking and just getting around.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    IMG_8235.jpeg
    For a trip to Glacier this map is invaluable.
    Jake does a great job of reviewing and describing the hikes.
    We had a family of 8, mostly non hikers but still wanted to get out at least some (most of them, don’t get me started) and this map was great.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    View attachment 361195
    For a trip to Glacier this map is invaluable.
    Jake does a great job of reviewing and describing the hikes.
    We had a family of 8, mostly non hikers but still wanted to get out at least some (most of them, don’t get me started) and this map was great.
    We're not hikers and bikers. Those were a different breed of human. Family behind us in line at the visitors center couldn't wait to start a 20 mile hike. Turned and told the wife I don't even want to to drive 20 miles. Kid is 8 and not a hiker. We did a path close to the visitors center that was shorter than most.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    We're not hikers and bikers. Those were a different breed of human. Family behind us in line at the visitors center couldn't wait to start a 20 mile hike. Turned and told the wife I don't even want to to drive 20 miles. Kid is 8 and not a hiker. We did a path close to the visitors center that was shorter than most.
    Same here. With an 11 and 6 year old we typically do 5-6 miles a day, over 2 or 3 hikes. I try to find the off the beaten path ones that are empty, like the Harliquen Lake Trail in Yellowstone (1mi round-trip).

Looks like hotel options are much better in Kalispell, so right now we're exploring that and flying into Spokane via Denver.

Great info @ditcherman, thank you!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We will likely fly into Bozeman or Spokane, although it looks like flights and rental cars are cheaper in Spokane.

FWIW, Bozeman is a small airport but it's *very* nice. Whoever designed it for acoustics was very good at their job, as you can hear announcements with no problem but it's overall very quiet. Very little of that general background hum of humanity you normally hear in enclosed spaces. It even smelled nice. Very convenient location, and a CostCo pretty near by.

If you don't have TSA pre-check, though, you may not enjoy flying out on an early flight. It looked real real crowded when we walked past.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    FWIW, Bozeman is a small airport but it's *very* nice. Whoever designed it for acoustics was very good at their job, as you can hear announcements with no problem but it's overall very quiet. Very little of that general background hum of humanity you normally hear in enclosed spaces. It even smelled nice. Very convenient location, and a CostCo pretty near by.

If you don't have TSA pre-check, though, you may not enjoy flying out on an early flight. It looked real real crowded when we walked past.
    It's a great airport and pre check helped, though it's a small airport so not the typical pre check scenario.

Love having a walk to the rental cats vs a train or bus like many larger airports.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Same here. With an 11 and 6 year old we typically do 5-6 miles a day, over 2 or 3 hikes. I try to find the off the beaten path ones that are empty, like the Harliquen Lake Trail in Yellowstone (1mi round-trip).

Looks like hotel options are much better in Kalispell, so right now we're exploring that and flying into Spokane via Denver.

Great info @ditcherman, thank you!
    Well all y’all can just hang out with my wife’s family then!
    I’m “that guy”! Couldn’t wait to get out there while they wanted to just drive around some lake.
    Only solo hike was up to Apgar lookout, maybe 7 miles, took a few hours but very peaceful at the top, almost fell asleep.
    Covered maybe 30 miles for the week so not what I wanted but that was ok for a big family trip.
    I will say overnighters in Glacier look to be quite the commitment.

Oh hey a picture!
    IMG_8163.jpeg
    No matter what your taste, it is epic!
    And Kudos for you all getting your kids out there!

ETA, get there early for parking!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I’m “that guy”! Couldn’t wait to get out there while they wanted to just drive around some lake.
    Only solo hike was up to Apgar lookout, maybe 7 miles, took a few hours but very peaceful at the top, almost fell asleep.
    Covered maybe 30 miles for the week so not what I wanted but that was ok for a big family trip.

Oh hey a picture!
    View attachment 361210

That looks amazing! The 6yr old holds us back, but he did really well this last trip.

How many glaciers were you able to see?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI

Oh hey a picture!
    View attachment 361210

My uncle and her cousin's family are hikers. It's their thing. I'm in better shape than the wife and kid, but it's just not my thing (especially not theirs), plus I have to slow my pace so they can keep up which I'm not a fan of. Like your pic, they've showed me some pretty epic shots. Uncle likes it to get away from everyone.
    Take bug spray!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Love having a walk to the rental cats vs a train or bus like many larger airports.
    I know what you meant, but it's too purrfect to not quote right meow.
    That's a great idea. Traveling with pets can be a challenge, so we'd have to leave ours at home, but if we could rent some at our destination... Do they rent dogs as well? ;)

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    You’ll get great pictures, Gping to the Sun Road should be open by then. Was not open last week when I was there.
    Do your tours booked include going on the road? If not, they open up pass sales at 7pm the night before, sell out within seconds.
    We went as far as we could from each way.
    Wife has the particulars, but I believe we have a lake tour and a road tour.
    This trip doesn't sound like a one and done.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    We went to Glacier NP last September for 7 days. For any interested, my pictures start on page #64, thread post #1261 and carry on for a few pages after that.
    We flew into Kalispell and rented a Suburban there. Rented 4 cabins in Coram, Mt which is just outside of the park.
    Rented UTV's in Hungry Horse and spent a day riding around the mountain trails in the area.
    If anyone needs or want any information just PM me

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Same back yard with the barred owl posted 3 weeks ago.
    Across the street from Eagle Creek Park. I never knew 30 years ago when I built a 4x6 frame for a backyard swing that it would be a perching spot for birds of prey. Sorry for the poor quality. I didn't want to spook him so took the pic from indoors across a screened porch. Hawk on Swing Frame 2024.jpg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    That looks amazing! The 6yr old holds us back, but he did really well this last trip.

How many glaciers were you able to see?
    Maybe 2?
    Jackson Glacier from the road, and maybe Swiftcurrent from the Fishercap trail, and then maybe Jackson again from a boat ride on St. Mary. Far enough away that even with binoculars they were hard to differentiate from snowpack to my untrained eye.

The family hiked Avalanche trail and I went on further alone to try to go play in a snowfield. The official trail ended but an unmaintained trail went on. They go on and on about not hiking alone due to the bears, and I tell you what that was spooky, but I pushed forward to a waterfall that stopped me just short of the snowfield. Seriously considered crossing it, got about halfway across and did a risk assessment and turned around.
    IMG_8036.jpeg
    This was taken from my halfway crossing point.
    IMG_8048.jpeg
    This is the arrival at avalanche lake, the low snow bank on the right is what I was trying to get to.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Across the street from Eagle Creek Park. I never knew 30 years ago when I built a 4x6 frame for a backyard swing that it would be a perching spot for birds of prey. Sorry for the poor quality. I didn't want to spook him so took the pic from indoors across a screened porch. View attachment 361251

Birds of prey are amazing creations.... Owls in particular.

VERY happy for you!

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Across the street from Eagle Creek Park. I never knew 30 years ago when I built a 4x6 frame for a backyard swing that it would be a perching spot for birds of prey. Sorry for the poor quality. I didn't want to spook him so took the pic from indoors across a screened porch. View attachment 361251
    We have about 3-4 barred owls that have taken up residence on our property. Absolutely love them and how they help with the mouse population.

I had one earlier this week hanging out 10' up from my target, seemingly unphased from the 22lr I was shooting.

It's very cool to hear them screech (at all hours of the night) and had one last night swoop down right in front of me by the barn, then swoop back up into a tree.

The wife got a pic of this guy a few months ago, sitting right next to our front porch.

Screenshot_20240623_203329_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom