• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Cumberland
    Had to compress the image quite a bit for here, click and enlarge!

IMG_4888.png

Some might know where this is at. This is where ya have to pick up your kayaks over the damn dam. Good spot to eat and rest a short min before getting back on the water.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    From a few days ago, when summer was trying to hang on. This little fellow was enjoying the warmth.

View attachment 304157

Turtles are really cool creatures, GFGT. I'm reminded of Timmy, the red-eared slider turtle that lives at McCormick's Creek State Park.

IMG_2098%20copy-XL.jpg

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Why collect it? What purpose or properties does it have that you would want to collect it?
    not my picture. But I use it when I am hunting (really keeps the kids occupied lo) and I also plant it on my property. If it has uses beyond that I am ignorant to them.

Max Volume

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Why collect it? What purpose or properties does it have that you would want to collect it?
    Many people are into creating pollinator or butterfly gardens to help things like butterflies or bees. I know of some beekeepers
    that take making honey very seriously and have a good product. Native milkweed is one of the best plants to have. Some differentiate their honey by wildflower honey or fall honey. Goldenrod is another important one for fall honey.

Winter planting is the best way to propagate milkweed. I forget the details but the seeds overwintering on the ground helps them to grow in the spring.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    What's that in the bag in the 3rd picture down?
    sorry I’m a bit late. as others have said - milkweed. specifically it’s a mix of common milkweed (in photo) and butterfly weed (another, beautiful orange milkweed), both a larval food source of monarchs and various other insects/pollinators. I am converting much of my acreage to what our creator originally planned, an oak savannah. part of that process is establishing plenty of native grassland species in place of the former pasture grasses. seed for pollinator species and many of our native species is $$$ so I collect as much as I can to spread around. it’s also beneficial and more efficient to spread local genetics as much as you can, they tend to grow better than seed mixes and such in my experience

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    not my picture. But I use it when I am hunting (really keeps the kids occupied lo) and I also plant it on my property. If it has uses beyond that I am ignorant to them.
    you want to separate seed when collecting. But keep the fuzzy white part as it is excellent wind indicators while hunting (you can watch it forever, whereas sprays dissipate before showing the airflow thru timber and such), and compact into small containers well (just make sure it’s dry first, let it sit in a paper bag or so for a while to be sure)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom