• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Next time play along like you are interested in their product, get their company information and THEN file your complaint. Take it to the State Att. General if you are also on Indiana's Do Not Call list.

^^ This. The AG does go after these. Low hanging fruit I think. And if you're not on the state list, I'd suggest getting on it. More effective than the federal list in my experience.

Attorney General: About Do Not Call

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ^^ This. The AG does go after these. Low hanging fruit I think. And if you're not on the state list, I'd suggest getting on it. More effective than the federal list in my experience.

Attorney General: About Do Not Call

Again, the trick is actually getting that information. Legitimate companies honor the Do Not Call lists (and/or requests to be removed from their lists) because they're legitimate. The scammers will not give you any information that can be used to track them down unless they are complete morons. They are very careful to never tell you anything useful and the CID info is always forged.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's a DMTF sequence that if it gets sent back to the calling device is interpretted as coming from the telco itself and is used to indicate that the phone number doesn't go to any actual line. If I had caller ID on my landline, I'd insure that any call that didn't have caller ID info would get that sounder right before the answering machine picked up the line and started the regular salutation.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There's a DMTF sequence that if it gets sent back to the calling device is interpretted as coming from the telco itself and is used to indicate that the phone number doesn't go to any actual line. If I had caller ID on my landline, I'd insure that any call that didn't have caller ID info would get that sounder right before the answering machine picked up the line and started the regular salutation.

There are off-the-shelf products that you install in front of your answering machine that will produce that tone. I'll see if I can find a link.

EDIT: Here's a wikipedia page on it. If you want to buy one, I'm sure you know how to work the Goog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TeleZapper

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    I use broadvoice VOIP for my land line server. I have anon call rejection turned on. Only a couple get though and they are for Collections agencies looking for my ex wife.

BroodXI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Salem
    Are they calling your cell phone number? I use mrnumber to catch all those calls. also tells you where the call originated from.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    If I am busy, I hang up.

But if I have time...
    I just LOVE to annoy with telemarketers.
    I will usually talk to them for a few seconds then, after they get into their script, I lay the phone down.
    Sometimes they can go for several minutes once they have engaged in the spiel.
    I seldom get a call back when I do that.

This is really fun if you have time:
    Talk to them until they get started, but stay on the line.
    After a while, they will ask a question or do something that demands a response from you.
    Wait until they ask the question 2 times then make up some excuse like "I'm sorry, my cat was caught in the treadmill. Can you start over?
    They very seldom start over.

I get very few harassing calls anymore and I am convinced that they KNOW I am nuts and avoid me.

Terry Meiners from WHAS in Louisville used to record telemarketer calls.
    It was a few years ago and I can't find any with my google fu.
    He was a master and has some recordings that are worthwhile if you can find them.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

Willegene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    South Indy
    I have a google voice number that I give out anytime I need to give my number to a company, website, or anyone that i don't know or trust
    Its free and you can block numbers

I don't get spam calls at all on my real number, and I get a spam call on my google voice number i just block it

Really handy for posting or answering CL ads

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Over a year ago we made the decision to discontinue our land line service. It was one of the best decisions we have ever made.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The last time I received a call from "card services," I demanded to know why I hadn't received my money. I told them I had given them all my information and they had promised to put $5,000 in my account and I wanted to know where it was. I kept insisting until she hung up.
    We'll see...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The last time I received a call from "card services," I demanded to know why I hadn't received my money. I told them I had given them all my information and they had promised to put $5,000 in my account and I wanted to know where it was. I kept insisting until she hung up.
    We'll see...

I like that one!! I'll have to try that. They call here all the time!

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    is this the penis pill company? i'm ready to give my satisfied customer testimonial. you recording? ok, 3, 2, 1, before i bought my first bottle of jackhammer 3000, my girlfriend used to be unsatisfied with our sex life. it used to take a roll of aluminum foil, a 9-volt battery, and a tape of last year's kentucky derby just to- hello? you still there?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Next time they call, go to the bathroom, make sure what happens in there is loud enough for them to hear and not mistake for anything else. Enjoy them not calling back again.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I get similar calls all the time on my cell phone. I have a couple different contacts saved labled "Junk". On an android phone, you can automagically forward saved contacts straight to voicemail. I also use Google Voice for my voicemail, and have it set to delete any voicemails from "Junk". I don't hear a ring, nor get a voicemail, after I add them.

I'm in the same camp as most others.. if I don't recognize the number, I just don't answer it. If you're not in my phonebook, and I'm not expecting a call, my phone gets pretty well ignored.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom