Petition to remove the politics section from INGO!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Politics section on INGO

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    I was taught that if you talk about politics or religion be prepared to hear things you don't like. This will probably be my only post in this section but I had to say keep it.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I voted to keep it. Sometimes Free Speech can be annoying and painful, but it's still worth keeping. It would be pretty easy to paint gun-owners (INGO Members) as ignorant, backwoods rednecks. Reading the politics section shows off our diversity and our ability to present reasoned, well-thought out arguments for the issues we care about. We'll rarely agree, and yes, things get heated sometimes. But I'll take that over suppression of ideas any day.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    KEEP KEEP KEEP!

Removing it will NOT solve anything. Race and religion aren't allowed to be discussed but they still come up, religion a lot more than race.

INGO is great the way it is!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That is the problem it has been shown that people cant just discuss a topic, they get pissed because not everyone sees their view and thats when they start degrading each other and calling each other names.

Just like you have shown above. Im wrong because I don't see something how you do. We may not take it personally but others show over and over again they do and blow up.

I have my view point. I have people that I respect that I agree with most times, some that I only agree with occasionally, even one or two that I rarely agree with. Then there are people I have little if any respect for that have the same position that I do, and some that I never agree with. There have been some topics that I actually reassessed my position and altered some of my thinking as a result of what I read.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I voted to keep it.

Everyone has different experiences and opinions. I say my 2 cents' worth and move on. No need to keep returning to argue or get into blind name calling.

Just respect the fact that others will not always agree with you, have a mildly thick skin and a modicum of self confidence, and all will be okay.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I voted to keep the thread because even gun owners need a forum where they can express their views and interact with others who challenge their views. It is a strong opportunity to test our logic, evaluate our thinking, learn from others, and improve our nation.

These were the same reasons I was deeply disappointed that the religion section was removed. The religion section provided a place to discuss issues with people who, at least in part, share our core values. It gave us a forum where we could help one another understand Islam rather than just accept the politically correct view of it as a "religion of peace." We could also introduce folks to the core teachings of other faiths, like Mormonism or Hinduism, that most of the US do not understand. All these learning opportunities were lost when the section was removed. We will lose the same benefits if the government section is removed.

Yes, there are jerks here who cannot think logically, do not understand the concept of freedom of expression, and are incapable of expressing themselves without using profanity or gutter language. Yes, too many here descend to ad hominum arguments when their logic fails or they are unable to refute another member's logical arguments. There are even soft-skinned folks here who are insulted when these jerks unleash their sarcasm and venom on the soft-skins, and whine as they declare their withdrawal from the forum. But these are all the folks who make up this great nation. They all need a place to exchange ideas, debate positions, and learn from one another. In short, we need the political section.

I recommend retaining the political section. I also recommend bringing back the religious section. Open debate in the marketplace of ideas is foundational to a free society. INGO can be a great service to our members and our nation by providing us with a forum for such debate.

Steelman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    Danville, IN
    I voted remove (or modify).

The Mods have done an awesome job of cleaning it up from days past. I'd just like to see the political posts be specifically RKBA related.

Why subject a group of gun owners to further divisiveness when we already have a common goal? It's been implemented and proven successful on other gun boards.

...and really........Calling someone a "crybaby" isn't necessary. You don't have to be a 3-year member to make a suggestion.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I say Keep.
    I've learned a lot (after sifting through the occasional bs) here.
    With discussion there comes knowledge.
    With any topic there's always going to be differing opinions. Politics are an important part of our lives and we get to read both sides or should I say all sides.
    I'm not burning books either and see it as a healthy forum area.
    Rants turned back on now!

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Let's keep ALL of our Rights..

Yay or Nay.

Seems to cause more problems than its worth.

Yes, it does heat up somewhat. So do I when someone speaks of limiting my Gun Rights.

The Freedom of Speech and Expression is also very important to our Forum, as well as our lives. Yes there always be some Ding-Dongs, but those Rights are there for them too..Bill

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'd just like to see the political posts be specifically RKBA related.

Fenway split the politics section into "General" and "2nd Amendment" a long time ago to cover that. He's already said that he doesn't want to get rid of the GP section, though. I think a better solution to getting rid of GP is for the people who post there to act like the adults that they (theoretically) are. If they can't, then we have procedures in place to show them the door.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom