• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    My little one has gotten big enough that the top of the closet is no longer an option for the gun. I have been on the hunt for the past few weeks for a solution. My objectives were to find something secure, well built and easy to access. I decided on the SpeedVault Model SV 500 by GunVault. I went with the 4 button set up as the reviews I saw online about the biometric were underwhelming.

Price $159 (Gander Mountain, they can be found for a little less online but I wanted to check them out in person, but then you have to wait to save a few bucks, and I am not much for waiting.)

A 9V batter is all that is needed to make it work.

The insulation took only about 10 mins tops and required only a power screwdriver. It was a little awkward only because of the angles I had to turn and twist to get all the thumb screws in, requires you to be down on your back and hands and knees. I mounted mine to the side of the dresser so depending on where you mount it might be different for you. The downside is that it would not take much to pull the safe off of my dresser it is mounted with only four 1" wood screws but once off it would take some time to break it open.

It is very easy to operate. You can set a code between 3 digits and 6 digits using 1-2-3-4. You can choose to have a sound when the buttons or depressed or not. The green led light also lights when a button is depressed. It also comes with 2 keys as a back up if the code is forgotten or the battery dies. Once the code is entered the vault opens for very easy access to your weapon. Plus there is a bright led light. I did have to do some altering of the medium weight foam that holds the weapon. It would fit a small to medium gun without alteration, but I keep a Glock 17 with a Glock light attached. I pulled out the old steak knife and went to town. It was not the neatest of alterations but works well. I did try out my 4" Colt Python and it did not fit. I would say that the Full size Glock is about the max.

My conclusion,

This is not the cheapest option out there but I think it is a very good one. It seems very secure and will keep my 5 yr old safe but also offer my wife and I very quick access if the need should arise.

Here are a few pics:
    Quick Access Gun Safe - Speed Vault - SpeedVault | GunVault

011_zps38ea8849.jpg

012_zpsfb50d816.jpg

Top Bottom