• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Oooooh, this sounds like a very interesting session! I'd like to attend, but I'll have to come up with a pistol with nite sites and a light first! Anyone want to open up their safe with a donation?lol

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Nick, you can use one of mine with night sights (most of them have front night sight only).

If you've got a handheld light, though, you won't really need 'em!

And I just realized ... why the heck don't you already have at least one pistola with night sights??!!!!

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I may take you up on that Rhino. Lemme see what my schedule allows. I'd really like to shoot my King Cobra for this but the lack of night sights would make it impractical.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think you could do fine with just a handheld light and plain black sights.

The real advantage of night sights arises under some unusual lighting conditions. For instance, when moonlight is really bright and you can see well enough to identify a threat with certainty, sometimes the light is too diffuse to see non-illuminated sights. You don't need a flashlight to see the threat, and if you have night sights, you can go to town. Otherwise, you need to use your handheld light to illuminate both your sights and the threat.

Actually, I also discovered something nifty on a single stack Para I have. I didn't know it, but if you shine a light on the sights for a little while, they will glow in the dark! I knew the paint was available, but I've never seen it on a factory gun. You could be the guinea pig who uses it and sees how long the luminescence lasts!

EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    I know the Beretta PX4 Storm has the same glow in the dark feature on its sights. Can I borrow a gun too, if I don't have a light? :)

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    if you shine a light on the sights for a little while, they will glow in the dark! I knew the paint was available, but I've never seen it on a factory gun.

This type of sight is standard on the Beretta PX4 Storm pistols, as well. I always thought it was kind of silly. "Excuse me Mr. Badguy, can you hang on a sec while I charge up my sights?" :laugh:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    if rhino brings all his lights and pistolas with night sights, we'll be more than a few hours. hehe. i'll be bringing a few pistols, some surefires, a tlr1 and both styles of the first lights.

i take the date will be the 11th? i am in. coach? bigcraig?

just come to the class, nick. bring what you have, and if you need anything we'll hook you up.

what about a round count?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    for the record. you stated that you need at least 6 in the class. if rhino, bigcraig, coach and i stand shoulder to shoulder, AT LEAST 6 should be able to hide behind us. more like 10. hehe.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I will have a round count for the class later today. Working on the range part today at work. We can go longer on the range after we get done with the class. If everyone is having funny safely and has some guns they want to shoot.

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    All training is open to the public with LE style training.

thats really cool, The new castle district parole were out shooting up until 9-930 the other night at the correctional facility. where is this fop range located?

I may be interested in just watching around, not so much carrying a flashlight with one hand and pistol in the other

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Rhino mentioned his Fenix TK20 (which he should have by this class).

If anyone else is interested in lights, please PM or email me. I have access to Fenix, Streamlight, Surefire, and a few others.

And, if you decide you need night sights after the class, check with me on Trijicons.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what it's worth, if you're planning to get night sights and have not used them yet, I think you should consider getting the tritium insert in just your front sight. If you get them in the rear too, make sure you either get a different color for font and rear, or make the rear just one dot (like Heinie Straight Eights) or a bar or something similar.

Three dot night sights (all the same color) can get confusing in low light. When you add a handheld flashlight into the mix, it makes it worse.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For what it's worth, if you're planning to get night sights and have not used them yet, I think you should consider getting the tritium insert in just your front sight. If you get them in the rear too, make sure you either get a different color for font and rear, or make the rear just one dot (like Heinie Straight Eights) or a bar or something similar.

Three dot night sights (all the same color) can get confusing in low light. When you add a handheld flashlight into the mix, it makes it worse.

once again, the rhino is wise. it is very easy for your eye to tell you that the 3 dots are aligned, when in fact the dot on the front sight is to the right or left of rear sight dots. this can be minimized with practice, proper index etc, but the front sight only should suffice. i've blacked out or colored the rears on most of my night sighted gun with sharpie.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    I some what agree with my Brother Rhino on night sights being counfusing so to speak, I agree with a dimmer color in rear to allow faster pick up of the front sight
    yet if you have misalignment of the 3 dots the pistol will be in serious funny postion in your hand and will even feel different, the sights should come into a natural feel and alignment feeling is as critical in low light...

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I some what agree with my Brother Rhino on night sights being counfusing so to speak, I agree with a dimmer color in rear to allow faster pick up of the front sight
    yet if you have misalignment of the 3 dots the pistol will be in serious funny postion in your hand and will even feel different, the sights should come into a natural feel and alignment feeling is as critical in low light...

so true, but i submit that everything feels a be "off" when rolling through your first serious adrenaline dump. i only mention the front dot outside the 2 rear dots because i have seen a shooter that did just that until receiving some remedial instruction. fairly new shooter and first time at near dark with night sights and no white light.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is this class on for the 11th? Need directions, confirmnation. I have some flashlights, 60 bucks and the desire to shoot the crap out of some card board in New Castle. Plus I just want to travel with Joe, John and Granger, and then try to avoid eternal life in hell.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Is this class on for the 11th? Need directions, confirmnation. I have some flashlights, 60 bucks and the desire to shoot the crap out of some card board in New Castle. Plus I just want to travel with Joe, John and Granger, and then try to avoid eternal life in hell.

just the trip with that crew should merit eternal damnation, irregardless of the stops made. hehe.

Top Bottom