• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    I've never had accuracy issues with my M&P, and the trigger just started getting "gritty" around 3-4k rounds (flawlessly) through the chamber in less than a year. It was my first handgun and i f-in love it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    No mentions of their less than stellar trigger (which they're doing something about on some models) and unacceptable accuracy issues?

They are very reliable despite the above. I've been trying to find a reason to pick one up for a while, just can't justify it until these issues have been resolved. Same goes for glock, though those "seem" to be ironing out.

Accuracy issues my A$$.

mp40at15yards1243.jpg

mp40at15yards1407.jpg

189ctc15yards.jpg

perfectform15yards.jpg

firstgroup20yards.jpg

Do better than that with whatever plastic-fantastic pistol you shoot and then we'll talk.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The issues are only with the FS 9mm guns.

I currently own five M&Ps and have two M&P 9's that have no accuracy issues at all. A 9 Pro Series (first production) and a 9 Compact (first production). As long as you work up the right load or find the best match with production ammo, most guns will outshoot the shooter.

Ammo can be more of an issue than the handgun itself. The M&P9 has a 1 in 18.75 twist rate. If someone shoots the same ammo as they shoot with their Glock that has a 1 in 9.84 twist rate, they may find that their favorite Glock load displays less accuracy than than when they shot it with the Glock... or vice versa.

I have owned M&P's from the second year of production till today, and I can say without reservation that many of the Internet rumors about M&P issues eventually are shown to be non-issues. Who remembers the sagging frame rumor from two years ago?

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    I just picked up my 2nd M&P9 today! My wife insisted that I pick up a second after she used mine in a defensive pistol class and the instructor hinted at wanting her to leave it behind for him to keep. It has had Apex upgrades and other niceties done to it...which takes a great EDC pistol to an even higher level. I'm no expert marksman by any means, but I've never shot more accurately than I do with the M&P. I have sipped the M&P cool aid and just filled up my glass for seconds.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The Smith M&P is a truly great pistol, and it is about time!

For decades, Smith & Wesson had the duly deserved reputation for making the finest revolvers and the worst semi-autos. The M&P changed that, finally, and it's great to see that Smith is working to fix the mushy trigger issues. I also hope Smith will introduce a .45 model with a larger capacity magazine--13 vs. the "California ten."

I suspect Smith & Wesson is attempting to recapture some of the "glory days" of the M&P, when the Model 10 M&P .38 revolver dominated the law enforcement market the way Glock does, currently.

The Smith M&P giving Glock some competition will benefit everyone, as Glock will need to respond with improved models to keep its market share, or, at least, to keep the Smith M&P from capturing too much of the market. Put them in the ring, and let 'em duke it out!

There are other top-quality guns; however, I advise my students to investigate both Glocks and Smith M&Ps. If they find something they like, they're done. If not, keep looking.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    but unacceptable accuracy? WTF are you talking about?

The M&P has a tendency to unlock prematurely which impacts the accuracy at 25+ yards. It is caused by a cost saving machining choice between the various sized pistols.

It does not impact all guns and is less evident when shooting hotter ammo as there is less dwell time.

But consider:

1. How many gun owners will shoot their weapons to notice?
    2. How many shoot at 25 yards?
    3. How many will notice?

Not very many is the answer to all of the above.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The Smith M&P giving Glock some competition will benefit everyone, as Glock will need to respond with improved models to keep its market share, or, at least, to keep the Smith M&P from capturing too much of the market. Put them in the ring, and let 'em duke it out!

Unfortunatley they are. I ran into a couple of INGO members at a gun show a couple of weekend ago where they told me that the THPD was getting rid of their M&Ps for Glocks. THPD has used S&W for as long as I can remember, starting with I believe the model 39 semi.

I called a good friend on the dept and asked what the deal was. He said that Glock *REALLY* wanted their business, and was basically giving the dept Glock service pistols if they would dump the M&Ps. I guess that is one way to get your foot in the door.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The M&P has a tendency to unlock prematurely which impacts the accuracy at 25+ yards. It is caused by a cost saving machining choice between the various sized pistols.

It does not impact all guns and is less evident when shooting hotter ammo as there is less dwell time.

But consider:

1. How many gun owners will shoot their weapons to notice?
    2. How many shoot at 25 yards?
    3. How many will notice?

Not very many is the answer to all of the above.

This.

I didn't know so many people had no idea about these issues, but people tend to blindly defend what they buy. You are right, most people wont notice, as most people wont shoot but maybe 500 rounds a year.

All I said, was that for ME, it is a no go. I reguarly shoot at 25, 50, and occasionally 80-100 yards just for fun. Why should I compromise when there are better options out there? I like the M&P line and I've shot it. I'd like to pick one up some time, but not until the lock up issues are fixed.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Unfortunatley they are. I ran into a couple of INGO members at a gun show a couple of weekend ago where they told me that the THPD was getting rid of their M&Ps for Glocks. THPD has used S&W for as long as I can remember, starting with I believe the model 39 semi.

I called a good friend on the dept and asked what the deal was. He said that Glock *REALLY* wanted their business, and was basically giving the dept Glock service pistols if they would dump the M&Ps. I guess that is one way to get your foot in the door.

I know LEO prices for Glocks from my LGS are far below what I get them for but I didn't realize Glock Inc. itself sold guns? :dunno:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I didn't know so many people had no idea about these issues, but people tend to blindly defend what they buy.

Well, you do really have to be a gun geek to know about the M&P issue and the locking lug issue is not present in all M&P guns.

Besides, M&P is the new hotness. Don't criticize the hotness or you will be trampled.:D

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Besides, M&P is the new hotness. Don't criticize the hotness or you will be trampled.:D

haha, words to live by on any forum! I guess I should have mentioned that it seems to be primarily on the 9mm guns, and that not every gun is effected, but far too many for my own peace of mind.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    This.

I didn't know so many people had no idea about these issues, but people tend to blindly defend what they buy. You are right, most people wont notice, as most people wont shoot but maybe 500 rounds a year.

All I said, was that for ME, it is a no go. I reguarly shoot at 25, 50, and occasionally 80-100 yards just for fun. Why should I compromise when there are better options out there? I like the M&P line and I've shot it. I'd like to pick one up some time, but not until the lock up issues are fixed.

I've wanted to drink the M&P kool-aid for awhile, but didn't want to have to swap trigger and extractor right away in a carry gun. I do want to carry an American made gun, once I know it'll run like my current gun. :patriot:

My dad said F it and got an M&P40 anyway, but he rarely shoots it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I know LEO prices for Glocks from my LGS are far below what I get them for but I didn't realize Glock Inc. itself sold guns? :dunno:

I would 'assume' (you know what that word means, right), that Glock USA might have something to do with it, at a minimum OKing the deal through who ever the distributor is.

I know other companies that have done the same thing in other fields, to get their products into big users who are currently using competitor products. The company will take a loss on the initial investment, but its a win in the long run.

Like when glock has to service all of the THPD guns that blow up ;)

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I shot one recently and thought... eh...

Mushy, vague trigger and I couldn't group it for crap. It was a full sized 9mm. If these issues are being fixed then everything else was WIN. Grip, sights, ergo feel, recoil...

I shot it back to back against my Steyr M40 & Walther P99 / 40.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Glock *REALLY* wanted their business, and was basically giving the dept Glock service pistols if they would dump the M&Ps. I guess that is one way to get your foot in the door.

Glock has a history of doing this, especially to promote a new model. That's pretty much the ONLY reason why there are .45GAP pistols in police holsters anywhere in the country...

I do want to carry an American made gun

Most of Glock's pistols should be made in the USA by now.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've wanted to drink the M&P kool-aid for awhile, but didn't want to have to swap trigger and extractor right away in a carry gun. I do want to carry an American made gun, once I know it'll run like my current gun. :patriot:

My dad said F it and got an M&P40 anyway, but he rarely shoots it.

I completely agree. While I don't mind swapping in a quality product like the apex trigger (which I would probably do at some point even if the trigger was decent, bc the apex trigger is fantastic) and lock up issues aside, I don't think it should be a necessary addition. Even my friends who know next to nothing about guns HATED the M&P trigger when they compared it to glock, walther, and FN.

Top Bottom