• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    hows the range compared to BFG?

Ventilation and lighting are comparable. It's in a warehouse so it seems like it is louder/echoes more. The major difference is that it doesn't have the yardage listed anywhere. I typically practice at about 10-15 yards tops so that doesn't matter much to me, but it might to some.

Also, as of right now, they don't have a retail store. One of the workers said they plan on opening one in the future, but for now it's just the range.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    hows the range compared to BFG?
    Personally I like it better.. Not really sure why but I do..

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Saw the billboard on 465 the other day...

cool!

Another place to shoot in the Indy area.

You know - for a city/area of this size, we really do have it pretty good as far as ranges / retail goes.

-J-

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Ventilation and lighting are comparable. It's in a warehouse so it seems like it is louder/echoes more. The major difference is that it doesn't have the yardage listed anywhere. I typically practice at about 10-15 yards tops so that doesn't matter much to me, but it might to some.

Also, as of right now, they don't have a retail store. One of the workers said they plan on opening one in the future, but for now it's just the range.

Looking at their pics I see the stalls are lined with Diamond plate, where BGF is lined with carpet. Seems to me this would also contribute to the "echoes"..

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Having worked at BGF (not BFG...), and now working at Parabellum, I think they are both very nice ranges. From an employee's point of view, I love the backstop at Parabellum. The entryway to the range is a heck of a lot easier to use at Parabellum. 6 fewer lanes, but there is room to expand, so that could be a moot point in a few months.

Parabellum is open 7 days a week, too.

Not gonna get into the argument about cost, can't please everyone (that's my personal opinion, btw).

There are kinks to be worked out, but I think Parabellum is on the right track.

Grand Opening is May 17th. Gun & membership raffles, Profire will raffle off a can, and they'll have full-auto and other goodies to shoot.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Looking at their pics I see the stalls are lined with Diamond plate, where BGF is lined with carpet. Seems to me this would also contribute to the "echoes"..

That could be it I suppose. I found it to be louder upon entering the range, not just in the stall. Not that it really matters, just something I thought to myself upon entering. Regardless, I'll continue to go there. There isn't enough difference between the two to warrant my driving an extra 15 miles to Beech Grove IMO.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    The stalls at BGF are covered by 1/2" rubber horse stall mats (or they were when I worked there), and are deep enough that the muzzle of most handguns are inside the stall, increasing the (apparent) noise level. The stalls at Parabellum are more open, and there are foam acoustical tiles covering the steel baffles overhead, so "some" of the noise is absorbed.

Still, an indoor range is loud as hell ;-)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Having worked at BGF (not BFG...), and now working at Parabellum, I think they are both very nice ranges. From an employee's point of view, I love the backstop at Parabellum. The entryway to the range is a heck of a lot easier to use at Parabellum. 6 fewer lanes, but there is room to expand, so that could be a moot point in a few months.

Parabellum is open 7 days a week, too.

Not gonna get into the argument about cost, can't please everyone (that's my personal opinion, btw).

There are kinks to be worked out, but I think Parabellum is on the right track.

Grand Opening is May 17th. Gun & membership raffles, Profire will raffle off a can, and they'll have full-auto and other goodies to shoot.
    Well I'm glad to hear your there! Frankly the other place has sucked since you left. I'm gonna give it a shot. I've been hoping for a more friendly place to shoot that appreciates my business and I don't mind a small drive to give my dollars to someone who appreciates them. See ya soon Steve!

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Well I'm glad to hear your there! Frankly the other place has sucked since you left. I'm gonna give it a shot. I've been hoping for a more friendly place to shoot that appreciates my business and I don't mind a small drive to give my dollars to someone who appreciates them. See ya soon Steve!

Isn't it great to have a choice.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Stopped in and sent about 170 rounds downrange tonight. Nice place. Clean, and the ventilation is fantastic. The target hangers and mechanism to move them is great. I'd love to see some lines painted on the floor to mark distances (7, 10 and 25 yds at least). Getting a target included in the range rental is a nice touch. I'm not that concerned about the price. Why quibble over five or ten bucks range fee when you're 'spending' sixty or seventy bucks on ammo?

I'll be visiting a lot more.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    The lines will get there, eventually :-) There are some duct tape Roman numerals on the wall by lane 14, if that helps. The disadvantage to being open 7 days is no off days to do the "little" things....

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The stalls at BGF are covered by 1/2" rubber horse stall mats (or they were when I worked there), and are deep enough that the muzzle of most handguns are inside the stall, increasing the (apparent) noise level. The stalls at Parabellum are more open, and there are foam acoustical tiles covering the steel baffles overhead, so "some" of the noise is absorbed.

Still, an indoor range is loud as hell ;-)

Ack! My mistake, I got it mixed up in my head with another range :\

Wolverine6G

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Steve I wasnt aware you worked for Parabellum now. Last time I was at BGF I was wondering where you had gone off too. Parabellum is 5 minutes from my house. Went there last night with some friends from Profire. Love the range and cant see going over to BGF any more I always hated the drive over from the West side.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Glad to see another range open up. The more the merrier. The hour long lines at the other ranges clearly attest to the fact that that market is not saturated at all.

Reviewed the range rules and noted that rifle calibers up to 3600 fps are allowed (which I guess should include 5.56).

I wonder if anyone can clarify their ammo policy (I noticed at least one employee, sjstill, up thread). It says "Tracer, armor piercing, steel core and military surplus ammunition is not allowed on the range.".

Definitely a hard to argue with policy, but I wonder if they include rounds with bimetal jackets in the list? Some ranges due, since they use a magnet to rule out steel core. Of course in doing so, they pretty much ban the use of all steel case ammo, as they all have bimetal jackets that will react to a magnet, despite the fact there is only lead inside. So, will they allow Wolf, Tula, Bear, etc ammo? If not, that will up the cost of shooting there, for those that shoot with cheaper steel cased ammo.

Also, sadly, this rule pretty much lost my business:

21. Parabellum does not allow any fully automatic weapons except during special approved “full auto” times. Suppressed (“Silenced”) are allowed.

One of the main reasons I go to indoor ranges, rather than truck out to Linden, is to shoot my sub gun and various caliber uppers. I'm not interested in patronizing a business (that is substantially more expensive) with the same limitations (highly restricted full auto days that aren't necessarily conducive to my schedule), but none of the other benefits of an outdoor range... other than indoor heating and roof if it's raining (but I can get that at BGF while shooting my M10/45).

Anyway, while I might not patronize Parabellum, I sincerely wish them best of luck and all success. As I said, the more the more the merrier when it comes gun shops and ranges in Indy.

DFM914

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I stopped by yesterday afternoon. Very nice range, nice folks as well. I will definitely frequent the place as it is within 5 minutes from my home.

bigzee76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The west side of Indy was desperately in need of a nice, ventilated range and I was more than happy to stop by Parabellum today and send about 250 rounds down range. Great place! Anyone else that has been there notice the hangars seem to Keep the targets pretty low, even out to about 15 yards? Saw some fellow shooters ricocheting shots off the concrete floor halfway down the lanes.

Top Bottom