• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Another P14 question. Still havent had any luck with fixing my P14 Problem, but question this time on the magazine.

When i have the empty magazine in the gun when i pull the slide back shouldnt it lock back?

When i am firing it and i fire the last round the slide locks back about 98% of the time.

Could this be a magazine issue?

Thank you for taking the time to read

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Take the slide off and check the slide stop lever, it should not be binding at the pivot when there is no load on it. Push a magazine in the frame and be sure that the little tab on the slide stop lever fully engages with the follower notch on the magazine. It could be worn or the magazine might need a new spring. Good Luck

Bahbo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 2, 2012
    Also check that there are no burrs in the slide stop slot nearest the plunger tube, and check the flat that faces the plunger tube for abnormal wear. The portion of the slide stop that actually stops the slide can be worn or peened as well as the notch on the slide. Also, spring rates of the firearm itself can affect slide lock.

Bahbo

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    A friend of mine has a P14 that has done the same exact thing, since it was new.

He called Para and they were absolutely no help, in fact they talked to him like he was stupid and said it wasn't possible for that to happen.

I will be interested to hear if you resolve it, that way I can look like a genius.

poolman1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    help

if u have atleast 2clips one loaded keep one unloaded switch about ever 3months so it dont wear out spring i have owned one befor could not get it to feed right tryed clips ammo ported pollished and then just sold it good luck.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    if u have atleast 2clips one loaded keep one unloaded switch about ever 3months so it dont wear out spring i have owned one befor could not get it to feed right tryed clips ammo ported pollished and then just sold it good luck.

Magazine springs of good quality do not wear from remaining loaded (unless pushed beyond their elastic limit, which should not happen with a good spring and a properly designed magazine) . Loading/unloading, i.e. compressing and decompressing the springs are what causes spring wear or fatigue.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_163_27/ai_99130369/

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Also when you shoot the gun, makes sure your thumb or any part of your hand isn't accidentally pressing down on the slide release. It happens more often than you think

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have had to remove and stretch the mag springs in my P-12 and P-14. Not all but some. We have a lot of mags. If one does as you describe I pull the spring and stretch it a couple of inches or so. This does not occur often. It has always rectified the issues as stated.
    We have 4 Para's and all of them run well.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Thank you all, yea im having very bad feed issues with my P14. But its odd, i can load 14 rounds of Blazer 45 ACP and have no feed issues at all, but if i use Federal or Winchester i had a feed issues where the top of the bullet is getting stuck at the top of the barrel and gets jammed in there which jams the bullet down into the casing making it useless.

Also i have some Winchester 45 HP that dont give me any issue
    Its odd and it has something to do with the shape of the bullet since the Federal is completely curved where the Blazer and HP are kind of straight then curved (Probably making no sense cuz i cant really describe it correctly).

Im going to order a couple of new magazines and see if this solves the problems i am having with the slide not locking and the feed issues

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do not run the low end rounds in any of my 1911's as they will have an "Occasional" puss round or a weak one. My Para's are not overly picky but some guns just run better on diff. rounds. I stay away from federal.
    I do not want to say you could be limp wristing as that will cause some of what you are experiencing. If this is not the case then ignore the comment. Grip is important on any semi-auto.

Birdman002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    South Bend
    Someone has mentioned that to me before, i believe i have a good grip been shown by the guy at the range, I want to say its magazine issues which when i get home ill have two brand new factory mags waiting for me hoping this is will fix the issues

Last edited:
    Top Bottom