• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWingMaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    Just do it. It's certain that painting it will increase your enjoyment of ownership. It's uncertain whether you'll ever sell it or if it would negatively effect its value. I did this after watching a few YouTube videos with rattle cans, and I have no particular artistic talent. It's hard to screw up, and if you don't like how it turns out the first time you can just do it over.

View attachment 94996
    That is NASTY. You got a link to the video (if that’s allowed.)

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Finally got it done...
    YSlLxbX.jpg

:D:D Almost hate to say it but I kinda like it!

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    I done one of my ar's with krylon and rust-oleum. Basically I painted the whole gun khaki then did od green stripes at an angle every 3-4". Kinda like a tiger stripe. Then I took some martha stewart sea sponges from the craft section at walmart and sprayed a little khaki on a piece of cardboard or paper plate then dab the sponge in it and randomly go over the green with the khaki and then did the khaki with the green. Later I added some random browns or mixed a few colors together on a paper plate and hit it randomly. Since there is no pattern if you ever want to touch it up you have no worries just grab a little section of sponge and dab it in a random color and hit it or let the black be part of the camo.
    c4cfb6f7d33c0b39cd79db1181c83722.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Nailed it!! Don’t lay it down and look away! :) Great job!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Just do it. It's certain that painting it will increase your enjoyment of ownership. It's uncertain whether you'll ever sell it or if it would negatively effect its value. I did this after watching a few YouTube videos with rattle cans, and I have no particular artistic talent. It's hard to screw up, and if you don't like how it turns out the first time you can just do it over.

View attachment 94996
    Damn that's beautiful

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    AE1EEA35-C610-4001-80D8-C30F416E6F02.jpegHeres one I did with a mix of some of the Rustoleum camo colors and a slate and charcoal can I had sitting around.
    I had a guy at work cut some decals for me and just made sure I laid down some different colors before and after the decals.
    Like most guys have said, start w good cleaning and spray ahead of and past the intended area.
    I don’t seal it or anything and just let it wear with time.

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NE of Indy
    B9B55AAF-FBC6-40C0-A218-63A5E045F6A6.jpeg
    ...and because they made it so easy to post images now, here’s another one. :)
    Same process on this one, but I did add some random cardboard shapes I cut to mix up the pattern a bit.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    This might sound like a stupid question, but after you shoot your rifles , clean barrels , do you oil the outside of your painted barrels ?

G19G26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I done one of my ar's with krylon and rust-oleum. Basically I painted the whole gun khaki then did od green stripes at an angle every 3-4". Kinda like a tiger stripe. Then I took some martha stewart sea sponges from the craft section at walmart and sprayed a little khaki on a piece of cardboard or paper plate then dab the sponge in it and randomly go over the green with the khaki and then did the khaki with the green. Later I added some random browns or mixed a few colors together on a paper plate and hit it randomly. Since there is no pattern if you ever want to touch it up you have no worries just grab a little section of sponge and dab it in a random color and hit it or let the black be part of the camo.
    c4cfb6f7d33c0b39cd79db1181c83722.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    Fantastic camo. I just too chicken to do any of mine.

streetsamurai7

Dungeon Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    After painting, do you clear coat the paint job at all? Or just keep it as-is?

I've also been thinking about painting my AR for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I do a bit of airbrushing, and I could get some cool effects with that, but the paint I would use would require a clear coat to protect the paint from quickly rubbing off.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    This might sound like a stupid question, but after you shoot your rifles , clean barrels , do you oil the outside of your painted barrels ?
    I don't. Not only does the paint help protect the metal but a little rust on the barrel is just cosmetic. If it gets to be more than a few flecks then I'll clean it off and repaint.
    After painting, do you clear coat the paint job at all? Or just keep it as-is?

I've also been thinking about painting my AR for a while, but haven't gotten around to it. I do a bit of airbrushing, and I could get some cool effects with that, but the paint I would use would require a clear coat to protect the paint from quickly rubbing off.
    Just plain paint on mine. Now, if I did a really involved pattern and had more than a hour or two invested, then I'd clear coat.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Make that rifle your own!

udC8YT6l.jpg
    That Riptile is what I'd like to do. That looks good. I am working on a 10/22 doing some stock mods. When I'm done, if it won't look good stained, I think I'll put this style of paint on it. Practice for an AR since the Ruger stock is not the original. :)

Top Bottom